PDA

View Full Version : Cache / History and Temp internet files

SectorSafe
23rd Feb 2000, 18:02
My ancient PC needs a spring clean and I am in the process of getting rid of un-needed disk hogging stuff. My history and Temp internet files take up a big space but if I was to delete these would I lose all of the information. I have done this before and the pages take longer to load. Are there any back ups to prevent losing Web Addresses or pages visited ?

Any advice ?

Oddbits
23rd Feb 2000, 20:16
The history is a list of places you've been to by typing in the address (as opposed to following a link) - if you like somewhere, bookmark it.
The Temp internet files are local copies of pages you've visited - unless you've got God's own internet connection, it will always be slower to get the files from the remote site than from your cache. These files should be automagically cleaned out by your browser when the cache is full. The cache size is defined in the options menu.

Hope this makes some sort of sense...

InFinRetirement
23rd Feb 2000, 23:46
Pain ain't they! From start go to Find then in the top space type *.tmp - click search and this will bring up all the files that are temporary. Click Edit | Select All and File | Delete. None of them are any good and take up space.

Temporary Internet files need to be taken out by Disc Clean-up. Click Start | Programs | Accessories | System Files | Disc cleanup and this will get rid of them.

Not a bad idea to get hold of Cleansweep, a great programme, that will keep you squeaky clean all year round.