PDA

View Full Version : Engineer or pilot?

Gitts
11th Jul 2008, 19:20
I'm currently a graduate engineer with a large african airline, been there for one and half years on a training programme and am now in the maintenance planning division. During my course I got the opportunity to apply for the pilot programme and have gone through the interviews but am yet to get a confirmation of the job. So as I settle into my new job I'm trying to weigh my options stay on the ground or take to the skies.

Knowing that there are both many people from both engineering and flying in this forum I'd like to ask for some advice from your experiences.

In my opinion my current job is challenging and has great potential for career advancement within the company but at the same time flying is an interesting career though it would curtail my movement up the corporate ladder due to seniority issues. I figure it would take about 6-7 years to make captain from ab initio time during which I could have done a lot in my current job. In terms of money the engineering job is not as well paying but with time it will increase so thats not so much an issue here. However if i turn down the pilot training with all it's challenges of course I'd keep on asking myself what if? every time I see a plane taking off

Hope this gives a picture of my dilemma, to fly or not to fly? Would really like to hear what you have to say!

TowerDog
11th Jul 2008, 19:55
How old are ya...?

Gitts
11th Jul 2008, 20:10
I'm 26 as it says on the left

Tamass
11th Jul 2008, 22:43
I think you've answered your question with your last sentence. If you turn down this offer…I hope you that many people on this forum would kill for this option…maybe it was your last chance. If you become a pilot and you don’t feel challenged over the years, you can still go back and be an engineer.

TowerDog
11th Jul 2008, 23:04
I'm 26 as it says on the left

Huh..Did not notice and did not know age was an option on the profile.
Whatever, yeah you still have time to get going..Anything over 30 is considered late.

AltFlaps
16th Jul 2008, 07:36
Young Gitt,

I work in the UK loco market, and anything up to about 40 is not too late.
However, the sooner you get going, the sooner you'll start earning good money again.

I have maximum respect for our engineers, but they don't get to fly the kit - and that's what it's all about.

Go for it !