PDA

View Full Version : No Discount For Tattoo Tickets!

Combat Cookie
11th Jul 2008, 17:58
After seeing the media coverage of the Fly past at Fairford today, I cannot help but be reminded of the way that the Armed Forces are treated somewhat offhand by Some of the establishments in this country. I have family members who would have liked to have gone ie nieces and nephews, and while they are classed as children and therefore free of charge it still would of cost £90 for myself and my husband to take them. I apreciate it is a charity, but I think this shows up as yet another example of how the forces are disadvantaged against as compared to say the US forces who get treated much better in thier country, and when you visit you are entitled to those discounts as a serving or ex serving member. After going over to America a couple of years ago I was astonished to find how varied and wide ranging the discounts on everyday items and visiting theme parks etc that you get by simply producing your ID card. I am aware that the discount directory advertises companies that offer discounts, but it is only a few as compared to over the pond. Just a little thing that I think needs looking into, even down to the fact that with it being 90th birthday of the Royal Air Force would it have been too much to ask to give each serving member one free ticket or at least offer it to us at a fairly discounted rate. After all im sure that the 5000 guests invited today were not expect to pay the going rate. Apart from the old boys and girls that were pilots etc, they should be there free of charge im sure that there were just the odd one or two hangers on, celebreties etc that shouldnt really be deserving of being there today, but were there as there more interesting to the front covers of heat magazine etc :*:rolleyes:

cockanelli
14th Jul 2008, 19:14
I totally agree. I understand that we don't even get a discount in to the Air Museum in Hendon!!
Having also been over the pond, the yanks seem geuinely embarrassed if they don't offer a discount, which is unlikely in the first place.

sedburgh
14th Jul 2008, 19:50
cockanelli

I totally agree. I understand that we don't even get a discount in to the Air Museum in Hendon!!

From the RAF Museum Web site at : RAF Museum London & Cosford air force museums free family days out (http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/)
Royal Air Force Museums London and Cosford

The Royal Air Force has one of the greatest aviation museums in the world and also one of the biggest. It provides a fascinating insight some of the key events in modern history. With no admission charge the museums offer a free fun day out to families and aircraft enthusiasts alike.On the other hand most of the military air shows I have been to in the US (e.g. Andrews, Edwards, Seymour Johnson ) have been free admission, they seem to consider it almost unconstitutional to charge admission fees to property that the taxpayer has already paid for,

scarecrow450
14th Jul 2008, 22:45
When I was 'tasked' to work at a large South Yorkshire airshow, many years ago, I had to have a ticket or I was'nt allowed in. But I was on the Sunday for the fodplod. :confused: