PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Freezes

hassel
21st Jul 2001, 13:07
Any ideas anyone, problem is that when logged on keyboard and mouse freeze. Can happen straight away can happen an hour later. I have tried the following:- formated hard drive installed new drivers changed modem. There are no conflicts. WTW I am using AOL.
cheers hassel

Navi-Gator
23rd Jul 2001, 02:36
more info needed but look at TSR in [ctrl alt del] if too many can cause memory problems.
Look at cont panel and device listing to make sure all working ok
have u installed more devices may be i/o sharing is not working out
best of luc

Skunkworks
29th Jul 2001, 04:07
I have the same problem. (Dell Latitude, win2000, 128mb ram.)

Were you able to solve it?

If I disconnect the modem and then, in the Task Manager, end IExplorer - then the keyboard and mouse start to work again.

Suggestions?

lame
29th Jul 2001, 07:04
I used to have the same problem for a long time, defragmenting always seemed to help for a while, eventually seemed to be fixed by installing a different modem driver.

What version of AOL are you running? I did upgrade to AOL6, but on advice from AOL I went back to AOL5, that seemed to help too, apparently 6 uses a lot more resources than 5.

Skunkworks
29th Jul 2001, 18:54
Ok, now it doesnt freeze - but instead it just disconnects! Usually after a minute or two. But in the status it still says its connected.

I have also noticed that at the bottom right corner; on my stationary computer it says "Internet" but on the laptop "Unknown Zone (Mixed)".

I bought a cheap Apollo modem, maybe thats the problem?

I guess no more PPRuNe on the road for now...

hassel
2nd Aug 2001, 14:21
Thanks for advise so far. I still have the problem. But it is very intermittent. No conflict no mem problem nothing else running. It is driving me crazy. AOL say it is the modem but I have changed that and the software. I also use AOL 5 all others were removed when I fomatted the hard drive.
hassel :mad:

criticalmass
2nd Aug 2001, 15:11
Hassel,

I recently bought a 2nd-hand laptop (IBM 760 XL) and it randomly froze up, sometimes during booting, sometimes when running a DOS-based program, sometimes when running a Windows-based program, sometimes when on the 'net. Randomly froze, or fatal exception errors. Erratic.

I had put in a second RAM chip to fatten it up to 64Mb. Originally it had 32Mb only but we found a 48Mb chip that took it to the full 64Mb which the BIOS could recognise, it ignored the additional 12Mb.

With one RAM chip in (either one, it didn't matter) the machine performed faultlessly. But put both in and the machine became the most flaky, frustrating piece of hardware I have ever seen! We swapped the chips around in the slots, no difference.

Finally I just removed the 32Mb chip and run with 48Mb RAM on one chip now...no more problems, runs like a dream!

Suggest try swapping RAM chips around in the slots if you can access. It might just be the problem. Certainly was in my case. Also, non-matching RAM chips may be the problem. RAM troubles of some sort sound like the underlying cause of your problems.

Hope this helps.

VeeAny
3rd Aug 2001, 17:58
Can be anything ,but as CriticalMass says its usually memory related when things like this start happening.