PDA

View Full Version : £10per month then 24hrs FREE ALL DAY EVERY DAY

InFinRetirement
27th May 2000, 15:44
:) I am leaving BT! I never thought I would say that but been given the following information - which I have thoroughly checked and its right.
www.ntl.com (http://www.ntl.com) Here you find that for a minimum of £10 per month - using your existing BT line - you get completely free access and calls on the internet 24 HOURS PER DAY. What you pay after that is only BT's phone rental charge. Since the current Surf Time arrangement is £9.90 per month for 78hrs free a week. This is the best deal around.

No other catches! You sign NO contract. You can revert back to BT when you like - IF you want to.

I have ordered the disc and thats it.

ALKIN
27th May 2000, 19:31
Is that via a TV or a PC?

pilot-lite
27th May 2000, 22:04
I've been using LocalTel for some months now, and after a few teething troubles with slow connections, engaged tones etc., am now very pleased indeed.

With LocalTel the deal *WAS* £10 per month for your line rental and free access evenings and weekends.

Since LocalTel were bought by World Online a few weeks ago this deal has changed. Now it's £15 a month for your line, and ALL INTERNET CALLS ARE FREE.

Regular calls are at 10% less than BT rates, and all in all I'm a very happy bunny indeed.

pilot-lite

Domelite
27th May 2000, 23:41
Just joined LineOne and Quip!, £20 for an adapter then unlimited freephone internet access at all times if you spend a minimum of £5 per month on national/international calls (which are cheaper than BT). As above you keep your BT line (and pay the rental of course).

The connection seems excellent - so far, I keep wondering what the catch is!

InFinRetirement
28th May 2000, 13:16
Made a slight but entirely useful cock-up. Let's see if can use a bit more intell this time.

1. ALL internet calls are free for the whole 24 hour period. NO question about that.

2. £10 charge per month is for other calls to the value of £10 pounds, which you must make - or you lose it. Other calls are charged at 1p 2p and 3p, the latter during the day - over £10. A visit to the site will clarify.

3. There is no fixed period. You can have one month if you want for example.

4. You only pay BT your line rental.

5. All your calls once you have signed-up are routed through BT.

6. It's thru your PC

7. If you have cable. Everything is free!

What has made me do it is that I was on BT's SURF TIME at £9.99 per month. It was due to come down next month to £5.99. It has, but they have now included midnight-8a.m.as extra free time and charging £4 for it. OK if you intend to stay up but in other ways it is a rip-off.

I would love to go on ASDL but the costs are too high - as yet.

Hope that makes better sense.

PPRuNe Towers
28th May 2000, 16:12
Had a little chat with BT InFinRetirement.

As the present package moves down to the 5.99 level a new tenner a month package will arrive. Unlimited 24 hours a day access, 7 days a week. Expect launch just as soon as TV ads at 5.99 have borne fruit...........

------------------
Regards from the Towers

[email protected]

InFinRetirement
28th May 2000, 19:23
Well PpT. I looked on their site yesterday and my previous is what it actually said.

Point is I suppose that you never know what is going in the background to match the best on the market. However, the £10 to ntl is for calls then + calls, BT's will, presumably be calls extra.

Confusing aint it? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif I knew I'd be able to the smilie up one day.

Flybywyre
29th May 2000, 18:56
£10 pm on BT/freeserve.

I signed up about 3 weeks ago for a BT/freeserve deal. All internet calls free 24 hours a day 365 days a year, and, as long as I make £10 worth of telephone calls each month there is NO £10 monthly charge. At the moment I have to dial a prefix number when dialing out on the telephone but they will be sending me a "gadget" to put on the socket that will do this for me automatically.

FBW

Domelite
29th May 2000, 20:45
Hmmmm….. now let me get this straight, £10 per month at BT / Freeserve / NTL, same deal £5 per month at LineOne. Which one should I choose?

Grandad Flyer
1st Jun 2000, 22:00
The best deal I have found so far is with ntl. If you can get the cable service in your area, it is £9.25 a month, which includes your telephone line rental, free interenet 24hours, 7 days a week, plus free installation of a second line if you want (£5 per month rental) or free basic cable TV package. For £20.50 per month you get just about every cable channel except the real premium ones like Sky Movies and Sky Sport plus your telephone line rental.
Not bad considering the BT line rental alone is c£9.25 a month. Also, all regular phone calls are cheaper than BT's except weekday evening calls to local numbers. If you have friends who live locally and are also ntl customers, all calls to them are free.
The only drawback is that to bring across your current tel no from BT you have to pay extra.

Grandad Flyer
1st Jun 2000, 22:07
So good I posted it twice...

[This message has been edited by Grandad Flyer (edited 04 June 2000).]

Vortex Wake
5th Jun 2000, 21:54
Dont want to be a miserable old cynic here but what are the connections like on the cheapest deals. I do speak from experience here as my BT £9.99 can slow down so much I go back to local rate lineone and pages load much quicker.

Rollingthunder
8th Jun 2000, 05:02
Well everything is improving, I'll assume most are in the UK.
Here's NA...
local, no charge phone link
several free ISPs,
alternatively ISP for 10 pounds/mo,unlimited access.
decent PCs (no monitor -(70 pounds for a decent monitor)) are getting to near the borderline of dirt cheap - 270 pounds.
Seriously, Europe shouldn't be left behind in this, there are some paradigms to overcome.
You folks are being ripped off as far as prices go and have been for years.

china_trident
16th Jun 2000, 13:37
Guy's there is no such thing as free lunch as we all know ....... you have to remember when something is free every body and their mother want to get a look in !!
Look what happened to "Freeserve" it got over loaded and crashed, it's OK now but very slow during peak times.
All these free deals are ok, but the down load times for web pages and other data are horrifically slow. This is mainly due to the fact that cheap ISP's have to recover their costs some where, and this is mainly done using banner advertising, and down loading banners are using data which could be better used for stuff that you really want, not stuff being forced down your throat.

That's life, every one needs to earn a "buck or two" but if you want performance you have to pay for it !!

Happy surfing at what ever speed your at !!! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

InFinRetirement
19th Jun 2000, 20:48
Hmmmmmm. Might have to re-consider here. Just got offer from BT to use their BT Internet(Daytime) and Surftime. Still £9.99 a month but the Daytime call have been reduced to 2p per minute on ALL internet calls.

On speed, I had a problem. Best I could get on BT "daytime" was 2400bps, VERY bad, spent a bit of time dealing with it. Got an engineer at my service, and he tweaked the gain there and then, on the phone, until it had a little feedback.

Result! You betcha! 47666bps on "daytime"
46333bps on surftime - up 1000bps - and my freenetname.co.uk ISP went up to 48666bps - +2000bps. A definite result. Personal attention the lot. Surftime also increased from midnight to 8pm every day. All down to the modem then innit.

Methinks for a while.

Doors to Automatic
21st Jun 2000, 17:19
I have been waiting for my NTL free access CD since March!!

ExSimGuy
25th Jun 2000, 13:25
A fiver a month line rental, internet access at just under a quid an hour (to the local "BT") and most ISPs charging around 30 quid for one month/10 to 20 hours maximum access.

Just thought you'd all like to know what we pay in the middle East!

(oh yes, and a "gateway" to the outside world that usually manages a [i]real[/] download rate of somewhere about 5 to 10Kb (so the issue of ISDN - not available - or ADSL - also not available - doesn't really matter much!!)

I use FreeServe when I'm back in UK and Freei when in the US

Mr A Tis
28th Jun 2000, 16:36
If you don't like paying anything up front. Try One-tel. There are no "fees" :) , no adapter to buy :).no minimum spend :)
Internet calls are flat rate 1p per min 24hrs a day, local & national calls are all flat rate 2.5p 24hrs a day. Calls to OZ are 5p flat rate 24hrs a day.

For internet you just dial their 0808 number, for other calls ( if you want to) you just prefix the number being called.

Bills are usually 6-8 weeks after the event.
You can view your current bill on line.

Used it for three months, without any problems whatsoever.

onetel.co.uk
You can register on line & be up & running within minutes.

BTW I tried to buy a £20 adapter from "Callnet" in March, although £20 was taken from my credit card, nothing has happened....so I'd give Callnet.co.uk a miss http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Mr A Tis (edited 28 June 2000).]