PDA

View Full Version : vicinity of the aerdrome

rep
11th Jul 2008, 10:12
"vicinity of the aerodrome"

can someone please remind me what this is? is it 10nm or 50nm?

cheers!

AussieNick
11th Jul 2008, 10:28
from that AIP GEN 2.2 definitions its 10nm

rep
11th Jul 2008, 10:32
hmmm thanks..... I was looking in that section, but couldnt find anything

what "definition" does it come under ??

werbil
11th Jul 2008, 10:42
It is defined in CAR 166 as being 10nm.

Unhinged
11th Jul 2008, 11:59
hmmm thanks..... I was looking in that section, but couldnt find anything. what "definition" does it come under ??

It has its own specific definition:
AIP GEN 2.2-13:
"In the Vicinity: An aircraft is in the vicinity of a non-towered aerodrome if it is within a horizontal distance of 10 miles; and within a height above the aerodrome reference point that could result in conflict with operations at the aerodrome"

Surprisingly (!), the definition in CAR 166 is consistent with that:

166 Operating in vicinity of a non-controlled aerodrome
(1) For this regulation and regulation 166A, an aircraft is in the vicinity
of a non-controlled aerodrome if it is within:
(a) airspace other than controlled airspace; and
(b) a horizontal distance of 10 miles from the aerodrome; and
(c) a height above the aerodrome reference point of the aerodrome
that could result in conflict with operations at the aerodrome.

werbil
11th Jul 2008, 12:48
The CARs are the legal definition. The AIP's are consistant with the CARs - because they have to be (The AIP is only an Information Publication).

Unhinged
12th Jul 2008, 09:21
(Please excuse the slight thread drift - At least it includes another AIP definition of "vicinity" !)

You may be aware that the relationship between the docs has been discussed and dissected many many times on this forum. The AIP may "have to be consistent with the CARs", but it isn't always so.

While it's generally accepted that AIP is information rather than regulation, it would be a very brave person who flew contrary to AIP provisions, even where the regulatory docs are silent on an issue.

It's also clear that even a quick reading of the docs will provide examples of greater or lesser inconsistencies. eg IP GEN 3.5-12.10.5 nominates "vicinity" to mean "between approximately 8 and 16 km of the aerodrome reference point", not the 10nm defined elsewhere in AIP and CAR166. Does it matter much ?, not really, but it isn't the same as the other definitions.

In relation to whether the AIP "is only an Information Publication", ENR 1.1-81.3.1 provides a very specific restriction on engine shutdowns during night training ops in the circuit area, but there's nothing I know of in the Act, CARs, CASRs, or CAOs which underpins that.