PDA

View Full Version : Click...&...w..a..i..t..(2)

WideBodiedEng
20th Jul 2001, 12:45
I have been plagued with Click……………then…………………W….a….i…. t for ages before a response. Looking at the two little computers at the bottom of the screen showed no activity. Sometimes, I found that holding down the [Enter] key worked. It was, to say the least, frustrating. Usually it happened after followinfg three or four links in PPRUNE or other sites. Even the FAA site wasn’t immune so it couldn’t be the sites.
I tried various things including posting here but no luck. I eventually stumbled across this gem when I somehow got transferred from the Microsoft Knowledge Base Info pages. http://members.iinet.net.au/~sandi/MVP/answers2.htm try also this one http://members.iinet.net.au/~sandi/MVP/answers.htm

I DO have a network card as I have the 3 confusers networked, so I tried the second suggestion and added the 192 etc and 255 etc addresses. It appears to be working!!! So a big thank you to iinet!!
QUOTE From IINET
Internet connection 'freezes' - data going to and from modem seems to pause
Do you have an unused network card installed on your computer? If so, disable it via device manager.

Also, the following can sometimes help:
Add an IP address to your network card (ie 10.1.1.1) or (192.1.1.1) and the subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Those on a network may prefer to use 192.168.0.1 and subnet 255.255.255.1
To do that go to "Control Panel" then "Network" then "TCP/IP->you Network card" then "properties" then "Specify an IP address"
If you are running Win2K, then the following steps are used to assign the static IP to the Local Area Connection:
1. Open Network Connection, open Local Area Connection
2. In the Local Area Connection, click Properties, then double-click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
3. Click "Use the following IP Address" checkbox
4. Enter the IP Address 192.1.1.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0
5. Click OK
The precise settings can be affected by your particular system's setup. Please post a query to one of the Microsoft networking newsgroups for guidance if the above does not work for you. QUOTE

So far it appears to work. Thanks folks!!

fobotcso
20th Jul 2001, 13:04
Thank you! Two more excellent links for my "Miscellaneous Support" folder in my Favorites.

Flybywyre
20th Jul 2001, 16:28
"Do you have an unused network card installed on your computer? If so, disable it via device manager"

I don't know...how do I find out?

TR4A
21st Jul 2001, 00:41
I had the exact same thing using IE 5.5. To fix this you will have to select an IP address. I tried removing a setting for an unused network card. Then I put in an IP address for each computer on my network and it worked.

WideBodiedEng
21st Jul 2001, 16:47
To find out what devices you have open Control Panel, System and click on Device Manager. There'll be a list of devices shown. You'll then see if you have a Network Card or not.
Must say I'm STILL disbelieving at how quick my access is now!

Flybywyre
22nd Jul 2001, 03:22
WBE......................
I've done that but how do I know which is a network card ?
Regards
FBW

WideBodiedEng
22nd Jul 2001, 15:07
Well, on my machine it has the heading NETWORK ADAPTERS with a + beside it. Click on the + and I have Dial-up adapter and RCPI Ethernet adapter. If you do have one and don't want to disable it then the simplest thing to do is to give it the addresses aas suggested. I did that. I have 2 PCs and a laptop networked and I feel like asking Bill Gates for a partial refund of my phone bill :D
Every time I click on a link, I get the green flickers and instant (well, almost!) change from one topic to the selected one.
Boy, I AM sad :rolleyes:

Edited for the usual spelling mitsakes!!

[ 22 July 2001: Message edited by: WideBodiedEng ]

Flybywyre
22nd Jul 2001, 17:51
WBE....................
I did that and disabled both. DISASTER.
The computer completely froze up and I had to turn off manually and re-start. When I got it going again it would not connect to the internet, tried 5 times, each time it said unable to establish a connection. Re-enabled those two items and back to normal now.....including the w..a...i.....t.
Don't understand the thing about address's so I can't do that.

WideBodiedEng
22nd Jul 2001, 19:50
FBW,
Why disable? Just follow the instructions to give addresses
ie "go to "Control Panel" then "Network" then "TCP/IP->your Network card" then "properties" then "Specify an IP address" Add an IP address to your network card (ie 10.1.1.1) or (192.1.1.1) and the subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Those on a network may prefer to use 192.168.0.1 and subnet 255.255.255.1 "
As I said earlier I added the 192.1.1.1 and the 255.255.255.1 addresses and they worked for me perfectly.
Perhaps you disabled the Dial up adapter? Just try the addresses rather than disabling.
Good luck!! :)

Flybywyre
23rd Jul 2001, 01:21
Hello WBE..........
Thanks for your help but unfortunately the post above regarding the address's makes no sense to me at all.
It might as well be written in Japanese.
Cheers
FBW

WideBodiedEng
23rd Jul 2001, 10:55
FBW,
I see you're ATC,
Just look at the instructions as a very complicated SID! Just go through steadily and if you're not happy just cancel at any time.
Just don't disable your Dial Up Adapter. If there is a Network adapter there you should see the name (eg mine is RCPI Network adapter) Failing that get onto someone near you who is a "geek" there are plenty!!
Don't give up!

Flybywyre
23rd Jul 2001, 13:11
Even the most complicated SID/STAR makes sense because we understand the format. As for the above..."subnet mask" " add an IP address...WHAT IP ADDRESS? do you just make one up? if so how many numbers?
Thanks WBE but I'll stick to ATC and flying, by far the easier.

Cheers http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/guin.gif

[ 23 July 2001: Message edited by: Flybywyre ]

WideBodiedEng
23rd Jul 2001, 23:32
OK, Step by Step! Like you’d give an SPL an SRA in IMC!!!
Click on START, Settings then Control Panel.
Double-Click on the icon “Network” It will open and you’ll see 3 grey tabs headed, Configuration, Identification, Access Control.
With Configuration on top there will be a white box with lines of text in it eg ”Client for Microsoft Networks”, “Dial up Adapter” and somewhere “TCP/IP -> whatever your card is called (mine saysTCP/IP-> RPCI Ethernet Adapter)
Click on that line, then the box marked “Properties”.
You’ll get a new box headed “TCP/IP Properties” and a load of tabbed pages.
Click on “IP Address”
You have some explanatory text and 2 check buttons. The top one will probably be checked (black dot in it) and will say “Obtain an IP address automatically”
The other says “Specify an IP address”
Click in this one and the 2 boxes, IP Address and Subnet Mask will brighten and you can type in the numbers as mentioned earlier. I put in 192.186.0.1 and 255.255.255.1 as was suggested. click OK if you’re happy then OK as required to get back to your desktop.
Reboot and see the difference.
I think you were getting into Device Manager instead. Whatever you do – DO NOT disable the Dial up Adapter.
Now don’t ask me what to do if there are 2 Network adapters!! I dunno!
Hope this helps, I’m off to do some engineerin’!!
WBE

Flybywyre
24th Jul 2001, 19:02
WBE....................
Thanks for taking the time and trouble to explain to someone who is wide bodied, but not an engineer.
I did what you said and it all went O.K.
I'll now give it a test tonight and report back to you tomorrow. Everything seems to be working fine....which is a good start.
Regards
FBW

http://www.gifs.net/animate/cberanim6.gif