PDA

View Full Version : Reduced employment opportunities with criminal blemish.

DennisRB
10th Jul 2008, 23:28
Some cops charged me with assault 9 years ago just for being the driver of a car that my mate threw an egg out of when I was like 18. (cops had to something to prove because an off dutie policeman started a fight with the guy who through the egg and was subsequently injured, even my brothers girlfriend was charged for supplying the weapon.... An EGG left over from a BBQ) I was told to just plead guilty and I would be right, being an apprentice at the time I had no money to fight this ridiculous charge, the Judge said "no conviction will be recorded".

I wonder if something like this might come back to haunt me when looking for jobs. Does "no conviction recorded" actually mean anything? I presume this won't come up in a run of the mill criminal check because of the "no conviction recorded" but the details will be there somewhere for people to find if they dig deep enough.

I wonder if this would effect my employment opportunities in this industry. I am currently a railway signal electrician (install and maintain the systems which ensure the safe travel of trains)

Whirlygig
11th Jul 2008, 07:13
From the way you've told it, you should be OK but it might be worth getting some legal advice in your own country as to whether you actually have a criminal record or not. In the UK, minor convictions like this become spent after a period of time anyway. Reading again, it sounds like the UK equivalent of a caution and they don't appear on criminal records searches.

It was nearly ten years ago and even if it still stands, I'm sure most people would be sympathetic given the nature of the misdemeanour. However, if you need to recount the circumstance, be wary of including emotive phrases like "cops had to something to prove"; it wouldn't help your case!!

Cheers

Whirls

Grass strip basher
11th Jul 2008, 08:26
You were charged with assault because your mate threw an egg out of a car window... is that really the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth??? If so you took some very very bad legal advice for pleading guilty...

Whirlygig
11th Jul 2008, 08:32
I think the crux is here, charged but not convicted; cautioned by a judge, that's all! No reason to doubt that that is not the truth; seems reasonable to me and pragmatic of the judge.

Cheers

Whirls

redout
11th Jul 2008, 10:32
I am not 100% but I thought all background checks ony stretched back 5years. Anyway, throwing an egg and getting done with assault is not the end of the world. It is hardly assault with a deadly weapon ! I am sure airline/HR people would take it with a pinch of salt. I had a mate who was drunk collapse (outcold!) onto a female police officer several years back. Subsequently charged with assault at the time and now he works for them ! Its a strange aul world.

MIKECR
11th Jul 2008, 11:03
Dennis,

Looks like your 'dan undu'! , in which case you probably need to check what the deal is in OZ. In the UK, generally employers require a Disclosure Certificate for employement purposes, which is basically just a criminal record/background check. We also have a whats known as 'spent convictions' in terms of the Rehabilitation Of Offenders Act. ie. aftr 'so many' years, depending on your convction and the offence, your record will be 'spent'.

By the sounds of it however, you were not convicted of anything in court. You were obviously charged and the case went as far as a court appearance but that appears to be the extent of it. By the looks of it, the judge admonished you i.e. no case to answer! Your mate on the other hand may not have been so lucky. Best check with your local Police and they should be able to give you some paperwork to apply(for a fee of course) for a crmiminal record check. Thats certainly possible here in the uk.

As for it affecting your flying career, I would doubt that very much.

Lost man standing
12th Jul 2008, 03:10
If you are unable to express yourself more coherently in English then your criminal record is irrelevant.

"... when I was like 18"

"...off dutie..."

"... through the egg ..."

"... I would be right, being an apprentice at the time ..."

(How did you manage to fit two ambiguities and a clanging coloquilism into ten words?)

"... effect my employment opportunities ..."

Far better than advising you about criminal records no-one here seems to know a lot about, can I advise you to take adult literacy classes? Alternatively I found that studying a foreign language taught me a lot about writing in my own.

I am not being pedantic, these things matter. They matter even more in days when I am throwing 90% of CVs I receive straight out on the merest whim, where only eighteen months ago I was struggling to find the quality of applicant I wanted. Although I am in Europe, I can't imagine Aus is much more promising, as it has always been a net exporter of pilots.

Putting it over to you, do you really think the language skill you have shown here is what employers look for in a commercial pilot? Do you really think slack, poorly-constructed splatters of words (I was going to say sentences, but you have merged a whole paragraph into one amorphous heap for us to untangle) riddled with ambiguity and coloquilism are a sensible way of asking for advice?

skyhigher
12th Jul 2008, 10:01
lost man standing. do you have a problem today? something you would like to discuss with all of us?

what on earth are you doing claiming you are 'not being pedantic' with comments like that!!! this is not a job interview, you are not looking at anyone's CV now. if that is your attitude to a pprune post then i can only sympathise with any applicants that might make an interview with your company. if you really do undertake the practice of 'throwing 90% of CVs I receive straight out on the merest whim' then you really are very unprofessional in you approach to recruiting. i do feel sorry for you. you seem to have a critical approach to most of your recent posts. perhaps with your position you could have provided some advice regarding the topic of the post, but no you give critical comments regarding spelling and grammar!

DennisRB, i dont think you will have any problems, but remember in an interview honesty is always the best policy. good luck.

Speed bird 002
12th Jul 2008, 11:38
Lost Man Standing...

Shut the :mad: up you NOB and try getting a life, it'll be hard for you to find one but please do try. :ugh:

Blindside
12th Jul 2008, 17:24
Pot kettle black.

Have a bit of respect Speedbird. Would you speak to someone face to face like that or only when you can remain anonymous? I have thrown away poorly completed application forms - so do most employers. In my opinion telling someone about this is not being pedantic, it is giving important and useful advice.

An Aussie criminal? :) Sorry couldn't resist it. In all seriousness, if an application form is filled in badly it doesn't matter about the person or their past as they would be very unlikely to get to interview anyway especially for a job as a pilot.

You just need to find out whether it will come up on a search by a potential employer. If it is likely to then you need to mention it beforehand and work on your explanation. If it is unlikely to then do not mention it to anyone.

Only an opinion of course.

preduk
12th Jul 2008, 18:25
I think 'Lost man standing's attitude is totally unacceptable. If you really want to help someone with their employment chances I don't think making them look like an idiot on a public forum is going to help.

Perhaps a PM next time would be more effective.

bluenose81huskys
12th Jul 2008, 21:35
Why do people have to criticise, Get a grip! - I am sure a few spelling mistakes in his literature on pprune won't go amiss and there are quite a few people who claim to be "commercial pilots" on this site who type incorrect wordings and sentences and I am positive DennisRB would check his application form and be extra careful when writing it out.

Dennis RB ref your query - Don't volunteer anything unless asked, so long as the convictions are 'spent' for the purposes of the act, but that there is little to be gained by concealing these convictions if the company asks about your legal history. Honesty tends to be the best policy, once asked. You need to check the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act for the specific crimes you have been convicted of. After 5 years your conviction becomes 'spent'. The rehabilitations act of 1974 clearly states that of you are asked the question "have you ever been convicted of a criminal offence"; you are allowed to say "no sir, I have not" if your conviction is spent. This is true whether it be on an application form or during interview.

You have nothing to fear, airlines will never find out unless you really want them to. Even then, I guarantee you it will not rule you out.

So the answer to your question Dennis is this will not affect your employment opportunities in this industry so you’re ok to get on with your training and the best of luck. :ok:

johnnyflyer
12th Jul 2008, 23:10
4 gods sake lost man standing the guy woz askin 4 advise on his imploimant prozpects not his spelllin nd gramor

David Horn
13th Jul 2008, 03:34
You're missing a full stop there, johnnyflyer...

(I kid! I kid! ;))

DennisRB
15th Jul 2008, 06:16
Thanks for the helpful replies and PM. This forum seems to be quite an easygoing and friendly place for the most part. However, as with any forum, there is always those with apparent personality disorders ready to tear strips off anyone they can.

Lost man standing. I did not realize this forum was some sort of gentleman's finishing school. I merely cut and pasted my post from another easy going forum, and changed the relevance a little to suit this forum without re writing the whole lot. I express my deepest regrets for the bad spelling, grammar and slang in my post. I hope you can accept my sincerest apologies for the extreme pain and suffering I have obviously caused you.

Since you have made it so clear that you truly care about my future in this industry. I will take this as an opportunity to send you every piece of formal writing I do in the future. It will be great see which errors needs to be addressed in order for you not to just throw it out "on the merest whim" like 90% of CVs you receive....

Anyway :) It appears as though some of you may have been in similar position to me with no negative consequences in your career. I am going to an open day this Saturday where I hope I may find someone that can help me know for sure. It seems there is a difference of opinion regarding whether or not I should disclose this incident to a prospective employer. It would come down to the ability of the employer to access this information. I am still unsure if it is possible for this information to be accessed or not given the nature of the "no conviction recorded" offense.

As for the details of the offense (for those who questioned it, and those who like a story). I was the driver of a car which my mate threw a couple of eggs out. This made me an accessory to assault. My brother was also charged. All he done was sit in the car. This is no eggsaggeration. Technically we were guilty. However any decent lawyer would have been able to get us off the charge, but it would have cost me almost as much as I earned in a year at the time. I was only a first year apprentice electrician.

Although I surely wouldn't tell anyone in a formal situation. The cops did have something to prove in my opinion. As far as they were concerned they wanted us all in gaol due to what happened next. A policeman on his day off was driving behind us in his old crappy car with his wife and kid. None of us thought he was really a policeman. He just looked like some hillbilly redneck vigilante. He saw my mate throw the egg and tried his best to apprehend us. He was following us and I did not want to drive dangerously to try get away from him. So I stopped and my mate got out. The rest of us stayed in the car. I was certainly not going to get into a fight over this.

The cops idea of bringing the evil egg fiend to justice was to punch him in the head, which sort of backfired when he got belted up quite severely before he was able to subdue my mate. At this stage pretty much every police car in town arrived and they were not too happy at one of their mates being inured, so they threw the book at all of us.

My mate was charged with assault for the eggings and assault causing grievous bodily harm to the cop. The rest of were not involved in relation to the assault of the police man, or even throwing an egg. So the charges they gave us were the best they could come up with. They needed to defame us as much as they could in order to make us look bad as witnesses in relation to the fight my mate had with the cop. Even so, my mate won the court case against the cop and the judge ruled the cop acted in an inappropriate matter. It did cost him around $20,000 though. He just pleaded guitly to the eggings and was ordered to pay $200 compensation to the victims of his eggings.

The whole incident was a big mistake, but there is no turning back time. So we just have to live with it.

HomerJay
15th Jul 2008, 10:18
I was standing at the bus stop last week with the missus when a bunch of 'hard men' drove past and lobbed an orange at everyone, it missed but if I could get my hands on their laughing little scrote faces:mad:

Point is you shouldnt have gotten a record but a right hiding, little toerags driving around throwing eggs like cowards, and whats more your hard man mate obviously gave the police grief when he got caught caught, scum.

Rant over.

Denning
15th Jul 2008, 17:01
Dennis my understanding is that in Queensland if no conviction is recorded:

1. An employer could not access the fact that you were convicted.

2. Your are legally entitled (and should) answer any question by an employer/prospective employer regarding whether you have any conivictions, by stating that you have none. It is not a lie and it is not being dishonest, it is the reason that a judge decides not to record a conviction (ie he/she does not think the offence is serious enough to warrant future employment prospects being damaged.)

A conviction that is not recorded means that the public cannot access the fact that you were convicted. It does mean however that if you were later convicted of an offence, the prosecution could inform the court of your previous conviction as the court keeps a record of your sentence.

In short you do not have any convictions as far as the employer is concerned.

You should check with a lawyer, it is a pretty basic point so would not take too long to check.

Denning

DennisRB
15th Jul 2008, 19:13
I was standing at the bus stop last week with the missus when a bunch of 'hard men' drove past and lobbed an orange at everyone, it missed but if I could get my hands on their laughing little scrote faces:mad:

Point is you shouldnt have gotten a record but a right hiding, little toerags driving around throwing eggs like cowards, and whats more your hard man mate obviously gave the police grief when he got caught caught, scum.

Rant over

I pretty much agree. :) I have had crap thrown at me several times our of cars. Lucky for me they were a bad aim. A more deserving punishment for youngsters would be a good hiding rather than a life long tarnishing of their record. Giving out criminal records to kids for minor incidences isn't going to do anyone much good in the long run.

Thanks Denning. I will check it out with a lawyer.

Spunky Monkey
15th Jul 2008, 19:52
I'm from Liverpool and I got a job. Although they don't like me refueling the Aircraft, checking the tyres or handling the luggage.
Infact thy tell me just to sit down, shut up and when to lower the gear.

Gear...:}

BoeingMEL
16th Jul 2008, 14:41
This ex 737 training capt must have binned hundreds of applications and CVs when the candidate just couldn't be bothered to check spellings, grammar etc. Either attention to detail matters to you..or it doesn't! If you can't pay attention to your grammar, why would I believe that you'd be any better with fuel calcs or load-sheets? Sorry guys, like it or not, you are in a fiercely competitive environment, times are tough and they're going to get much,much tougher! Cheers bm:ugh:

THE WELSH WIZARD
16th Jul 2008, 15:52
I thought this thread, was all about his criminal record not his spelling people!!!!!!!!!!!!! GET A GRIP :mad:

Maty i beleive, when one has been cautioned/charged for an offence it is automatically listed on file for ever,i am affraid to state.!!

Just try get some leagal advise as stated above, in last replies.

Good luck sir.

TWW :)

MIKECR
16th Jul 2008, 16:28
TWW,

Not true. It depends whether you are CONVICTED or not. Just because you are cautioned and charged, does not mean you have a record. When someone is charged, it means they are being reported to the prosecution service for consideration of criminal proceedings. If it should subsequently reach court proceedings and you are found guilty, then you are convicted. A record will be held for life.

THE WELSH WIZARD
16th Jul 2008, 17:14
I stand corrected ,if i am wrong about this.

I was under the impression that if you have had any dealings with the law, convicted or not it is always logged "ie when a CRB check is done" ?

Regards

TWW:)

Denning
16th Jul 2008, 18:48
Guys

The police hand out cautions not judges. A caution is if a police officer things you have broken the law but for what ever reason has exercised his/her discretion to merely caution you rather than charge you. No charge, no court, you go home.

If you are charged by a police officer, you go to court. In court you are either convicted (ie found guilty or you plead guilty) or you are found not -guility. If you are convicted, the judge then sentences you. He/she can choose whether or not to record a conviction as part of your punishement. See my previous post for the rest.

It is a really important point, especially as the police are getting more and more pressured to compete thier paper work and keep up with their 'targets'.

Only if you are convicted IN COURT IN FRONT OF A JUDGE and the judge records a conviction, will it become relevant for a prospective employer.
Any other way and anyone who had the misfortune to get on the wrong side of police officer would be at a severe disadvatage job wise in the future. It would be a shame to lose out on a job by being overly honest and declaring things you are not legally required to declare.

Denning

MIKECR
16th Jul 2008, 19:35
TWW,

Yes you are wrong im afraid. I was a member of the constabulary for 12 years!

HomerJay
16th Jul 2008, 20:57
This ex 737 training capt must have binned hundreds of applications and CVs when the candidate just couldn't be bothered to check spellings, grammar etc. Either attention to detail matters to you..or it doesn't! If you can't pay attention to your grammar, why would I believe that you'd be any better with fuel calcs or load-sheets? Sorry guys, like it or not, you are in a fiercely competitive environment, times are tough and they're going to get much,much tougher! Cheers bm

This is a thread on a forum on the internet, its not a job application. I don't understand why this happens so much on here. I check a CV a hundred times before I apply for a job, I don't check internet posts as much. I think most people are the same.

bluenose81huskys
16th Jul 2008, 21:41
For those who are still not sure, here is a list of unspent convictions which would prohibit issue of an Airside security pass:

Quote:
Disqualifying criteria

1. OFFENCES AGAINST THE PERSON

Offences against the Person Act 1861
Child Abduction Act 1984
Administering chloroform
Administering poison so as to endanger life
Administering poison
Assault occasioning actual bodily harm
Assault on police
Racially or religiously aggravated actual bodily harm
Attempting to choke
Affray
Causing bodily injury by explosives
Child Abduction
Child destruction
Cruelty to person under 16
Endanger safety of an aircraft
Endangering safety of railway passengers
False imprisonment
Ill-treatment of mental patients
Kidnapping
Manslaughter
Murder
Attempted Murder
Sending explosive substance with intent
Soliciting to murder
Threats to kill
Unlawful wounding/inflicting grievous bodily harm
Wounding/causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

2. THEFT/DISHONESTY

Theft Acts 1968 and 1978
Aggravated burglary
Aggravated vehicle taking
Assault with intent to rob
Blackmail
Burglary (entering and stealing etc)
Burglary (entering with intent)
Company director publishing false statement
Forgery of Passport
Dishonestly retaining a wrongful credit
Dishonest representation for obtaining benefit etc
Evasion of liability by deception
False accounting (making false entry etc)
False accounting (omission of material particular)
False accounting (furnishing false information)
Going equipped for burglary etc
Handling stolen goods (receiving)
Handling stolen goods (undertaking or assisting the retention etc)
Making off without payment
Obtaining a money transfer by deception
Obtaining pecuniary advantage by deception
Obtaining property by deception
Obtaining services by deception
Procuring the execution of a valuable security by deception
Removing article from place open to public
Robbery
Taking conveyance without authority
Theft (from a person, a dwelling, automatic machine or meter, from mail, by an employee, from shop, from or of a vehicle).

3. SEXUAL OFFENCES

Sexual Offences Acts 1956 to 1992
Abduction of unmarried girl under 16 from parent or guardian
Abduction of unmarried girl under 18 from parent or guardian
Abduction of woman by force or for sake of her property
Assault with intent to commit buggery
Detention of woman against her will for unlawful sexual intercourse (or in a brothel)
Indecency with a child
Indecent assault on a female
Indecent assault on a male
Living on earnings of prostitution
Procuration of intercourse by false pretences
Procuration of woman to become prostitute
Attempted Rape
Rape
Exploitation of prostitution
Trafficking
Preparatory offences
Offences outside the UK.

4. HARMFUL OR DANGEROUS DRUGS

Misuse of Drugs Act 1971
Misuse of Drugs Regulations 1985
The Criminal Justice Act 1990
Drug Trafficking Act 1994
Being concerned in production of a controlled drug
Being concerned in supply of a controlled drug
Possessing a Class A controlled drug
Possessing a controlled drug with intent
Producing a controlled drug
Supplying a controlled drug
Import or export of controlled drugs
Concealing or transferring the proceeds of drug trafficking
Assisting another person to retain the benefit of drug trafficking
Acquisition, possession or use of proceeds of drug trafficking
Failure to disclose knowledge or suspicion of money laundering.

5. CRIMINAL DAMAGE

Criminal Damage Act 1971
Destroying or damaging property (including Arson)
Threats to destroy or damage property
Possessing anything with intent to destroy or damage property
Explosive Substances Act 1883
Causing explosion likely to endanger life or property
Attempt to cause explosion, or making or keeping explosive with intent to endanger life or property
Conspiracy to cause an explosion
Making or possession of explosive
Burning, maiming, etc. by explosion.

6. TERRORISM

Anti Terrorism Crime and Security Act 2001
Prevention of Terrorism Act 1989

7. AVIATION

Protection of Aircraft Act 1973
Aviation Security Act 1982 (as amended)

8. MARITIME

Aviation and Maritime Security Act 1990

9. CHANNEL TUNNEL

Channel Tunnel Security Order 1994

10. RAILWAYS

Railways Act 1993

11. FIREARMS

Firearms Act 1968

Possession of a firearm without a certificate
Non-compliance with condition of firearm certificate
Possession of a shotgun without certficate
Non-compliance with condition of shotgun certificate
Trading in firearms without being registered as a firearms dealer
Selling firearm to person without a certificate
Repairing, testing, etc. firearm for person without a certificate
Falsifying certificate, etc with view to acquisition of firearm
Shortening a shotgun or other smooth bore gun
Possessing or distributing prohibited weapons or ammunition
The sale, acquisition and possession or carrying of firearms
Possessing firearm or imitation firearm with intent to commit an indictable offence, or resist arrest, etc.
Possessing firearm or imitation firearm with intent to endanger life
Possessing firearm or imitation firearm with intent to cause fear of violence
Carrying loaded firearm, shotgun, loaded air weapon or any other firearm in public place
Trespassing with firearms in a building
Possession of firearms by persons previously convicted of crime
Supplying firearms to persons denied them under S21 Firearms Act .

12. IMMIGRATION

Immigration Act 1971

Assisting illegal entry and harbouring
Assisting entry of an asylum claimant

Carrying out arrangements for securing or facilitating the obtaining of leave to remain in the UK by means believing to include deception.

13. EVASION OF LIABILITY/BAIL OFFENCES

Customs and Excise Act 1979

Failure to submit to bail
Evasion of any duty chargeable on goods
Evasion of any provision of the Customs and Access Act applicable to goods.

14. BOMB THREATS AND BOMB HOAXES

Criminal Law Act 1977
Criminal Law Act 1997

Placing or dispatching articles to cause bomb hoax
Communicating false information alleging the presence of bombs.

15. OFFENSIVE WEAPONS

Prevention of Crime Act 1953
The Criminal Justice Act 1988 (s139 & s141)
The Offensive Weapons Act 1996
The Restriction of Offensive Weapons Act 1959
The Knives Act 1997

Possession of offensive weapon (in a public place) without lawful authority or reasonable excuse
Having an article with a blade or point in a public place
Having an article with a blade or point on school premises
Manufacture and distribution of flick knives and gravity knives.

16. PROTECTION OF CHILDREN AND VULNERABLE ADULTS

Protection of Children Act 1978
Sexual Offences Act 2003

Taking indecent photograph or pseudo photograph of children
Child sex offences
Abuse of position of trust
Familial child sex offences
Offences against persons with a mental disorder
Inducements etc. to persons with mental disorder
Abuse of children through prostitution and pornography

17. MILITARY OFFENCES

Any unspent conviction for an offence listed in the previous categories but dealt with by a military court will be a disqualifying offence. In addition, the following military offences are also a disqualifying offence:

Army and Air Force Acts 1952 (S24, S25 & S31)
Naval Discipline Act 1957 (S2, S3, S8 & S9)
Assisting the enemy
Looting
Mutiny

Note: The equivalent offences in Northern Ireland and Scotland for the above disqualifying criteria also apply.

The classifications defined here include attempting, conspiring, inciting, aiding, abetting, causing or permitting a crime. In certain cases they are detailed separately (e.g. attempted murder).

It should also be noted that not all offences are listed. For example, many weapons are covered by the legislation relating to offensive weapons. These have not been listed individually. Similarly, offences against the person include racially and religiously motivated incidents, although not individually stated.

Offences covered under legislation relating to Terrorism and Aviation Security have not been listed separately as they are to be applied in full.

Q: Where can I get independent/confidential advice?

A: Apex Trust can offer independent/confidential advice and information to enquirers covering a range of issues that affect ex-offenders including when a conviction becomes spent in line with the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act and disclosure advice. They are open Monday- Friday 10am - 5 pm and can be contacted on 0870 6084567.

Bluenose

Blindside
16th Jul 2008, 21:47
How you write something is sometimes more important than what you write. If that makes any sense at all :)

I appreciate that this as not what the thread is about but surely you have to learn to play the game?

It is naive in the extreme to underestimate how important it is to present yourself well, especially on this forum, if you are considering a job in aviation. You have the opportunity through PPRuNe to present/promote yourself to more potentially influential people than you can imagine. Therefore, making sure you express yourself correctly matters. If you do not understand that then you may struggle. Isn't it common sense?

If I was a wannabe I would take on board the views of people that hold/have held jobs that could affect my future career prospects. It is fantastic advice and it costs you nothing, ignoring it could cost you an important break. Throwing it back in someones face is frankly lunacy. You don't always get your breaks through traditional channels, I didn't. I bet there's more than one person who got their first/next job due to how they presented themself on this bulletin board. There will be many more who perhaps never realised how destructive their attitude was, how they were perceived and the opportunities it cost them.

Of course you can always ignore the advice or insult someone e.g. by calling someone a nob. However, if I was considering aviation as a career I would be trying to understand what is important to training captains/recruiters and their like as these are the type of people I would be wanting to impress. If spelling/grammar mattered to them it would matter to me and I would make sure that any time there was the potential for someone with influence to take a view of me, I would try to make it a positive one. It costs you nothing but a little bit of time.

2 influential people have taken time out of their lives to give you advice for nothing, they won't gain from this at all. How are they rewarded? So how likely are they to help wannabes again? I'd say less than before. Well done people, talk about shooting yourselves in the foot. :D

cirruscrystal
17th Jul 2008, 00:08
Boeing Mel - I think it might be a generation thing maybe?

CRIMINAL RECORDS, depends what profession, Doctors + Teachers etc.. Record is never spent and must always be declared.
I am not sure what the regs are in aviation, worst case you might need to declare and i suppose then it might result in the bin pile if unlucky.

rite properly you cupid stunt, its not a fone:}

*neva no who might reed it*

THE WELSH WIZARD
17th Jul 2008, 12:25
Then i do stand corrected, if you say you were a law man.

Regards

TWW :)

Lost man standing
17th Jul 2008, 13:06
Surely when asking for advice and help from professionals about an important issue it is simple courtesy to write properly.

Making the post clear, easy to read and understand and if possible unambiguous is only polite in any post, more so when asking a favour of readers, in the form of advice, in an international forum. Trying to use language as correctly as he is able is the easiest way for DennisRB to achieve that aim. I credited him with some courtesy, so assumed he was trying to write correctly.

If the career is so unimportant that he can't be bothered to do so, then I would question why DennisRB is trying to get into such a tough business.

DennisRB
21st Jul 2008, 02:09
Thanks for the info guys....

This is an internet forum. I can't recall submitting an application or CV for any of you to criticize. Implying that I would present the same attention to detail for fuel calcs or load-sheets as I would posting on an internet forum is ridiculous.

If someone cared about me enough to give kind advice on the presentation of my posts, they would not have gone about it in the way LMS did. I'm a new member here and assumed people would be as relaxed as the other forums I post on. I was wrong.

It is possible to express your opinion without publicly belittling someone, and foolish to think that doing so won't get a defensive reply. It is even more foolish to expect gratitude.

I have only ever worked as a tradesman which has never required me to engage in much academic activity other than electrical theory. Writing is not something I usually do, and is certainly not something I have done much of in the past. I am trying much harder now, but I'm sure there would still be plenty of mistakes for LMS to pick on.

I realize that for me make it as a pilot, I will need to become skilled in many areas I am currently not skilled in. I am sure that 3 years of university will give me plenty of time to hone my written English skills.

I went to a university open day on the weekend and was told I need an ASIC card to be a pilot (Aviation Security Identification Card). I found a list of requirements needed for obtaining an ASIC card on the net. Link here.
Fact Sheet: Aviation Security Identification Cards (ASICs) (http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/transport/security/aviation/factsheet/fact13.aspx#6)

According to this I should meet the requirements. This is a good start anyhow.

Dennis.