PDA

View Full Version : Copying files between Laptop and Desktop - Need advice

v1rotate
19th Jul 2001, 14:40
Can anyone tell me the easiest way to transfer large files from my Laptop to the Desktop machine. Is it possible to use the Parallel or Serial port at the back of the laptop for this purpose? Using floppies is NOT an option as the files are in the region between 50-70mb. :confused:

Evo7
19th Jul 2001, 15:39
Easiest is to set up an ethernet network between the two machines. Most expensive bit would be a PCMCIA card for the laptop, but the whole lot will be less than a £100 or so and at 10Mb/s it is nice and quick. Many laptops have them built in. If you're going to be transferring stuff regularly it is definitely the way to go.

Null-modem cables (parallel port to parallel port) are much cheaper, but slow. If you're doing it once only, then this is worth a look.

aiman
19th Jul 2001, 15:43
How about a simple zip drive with 250Mb disks ;)

fobotcso
19th Jul 2001, 17:09
V1r, we did discuss this in January of this year in the following thread:
http://www.pprune.org/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=35&t=000651

At that time I made a strong case for Evo7's solution of an Ethernet link using PCMCIA in the laptop. I also suggested that this might be the moment to buy that (portable) CD-RW that you needed an excuse to buy! I had just done this for a client and he was well pleased.

I'm still an advocate of Coax for "real" Networks, but for a low cost single purpose job like yours, an RJ45 (Cat 5) cross-over cable between the two Network Interface Cards would suffice.

But I've also tested the Belkin USB Direct Connect (F5U104 @ £49.95 + VAT) with success. It installs like a network adapter in both machines and uses two USB cables to connect the two.

So if you've got USB in both machines that is an option.

Laplink thro' null parallel cables is very slow but may be the only option if the PCs and/or Operating Systems are primitive.

v1rotate
20th Jul 2001, 13:01
Thanks for all the info, really helpful. As this will be really a one off thing for the time being, I will use the direct cable connection for file transfer. However, when I get a little more cash, the peer to peer connection seems like the way to go (Network).

What are the transfer rates with the USB connection?

fobotcso
20th Jul 2001, 18:12
v1r, this link to the US Belkin site will get you started. They claim 8Mbps which is just about normal 10Base network speeds.
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Product_Id=20963#

Belkin have cornered the USB market and their kit is quite good.

Pengineer
23rd Jul 2001, 23:37
I just got the free Laplink an this months PC plus, bought a serial lead (£2), plugged them both in and it worked instantly, after weeks of more expensive effort.
Check out my original thread which i'm about to revive.