PDA

View Full Version : Sony Vaio and International Warranty.

cavortingcheetah
10th Jul 2008, 17:40
:ooh:

Not computer literate so plese excuse terminology.

Last October I bought a Sony Vaio from the Sony shop at King of Prussia shopping center in Pennsylvania. It came, or so I supposed and the paperwork assures, with one year Sony international guarentee.
A problem has now arisen with the machine in that one of the touch pads has to be pushed very hard to actually do anything. In addition to which the screen pointer now moves in the wrong way to that which one inputs on to the mat.
In other words, move finger towards screen, pointer moves downwards. Move finger left, pointer moves right.
Sony in both Germany and the UK will have nothing to do with the warranty at all. Sony USA says that the machine must be sent to San Diego at a one way cost to me of $150. They refuse to give any time scale within which to complete the repair. We have had endless trouble with Sony Customer Care on this and at the end of the day I will probably try to send the machine back to Sony in the UK or Germany and simply pay for it to be repaired. If thet will accept the machine at all.
The machine was not particularily cheaper in the States than it would have been, bought directly from Sony in either the UK or Germany. I simply needed a new computer fast at the time and didn't go for an Apple, which had been my first choice.
Would anyone who has a heads up on a simple way to rectify the problem please be so kind as to let me know. That would be very kind indeed. Also, am I correct in thinking that a computer guarentee from Sony should be international in terms of repair?
It seems crazy to have to send a machine back to the country of purchase in order to fix, what to me at least, seems to be a simpe enough problem.
Many thanks.
cc:)

WHBM
10th Jul 2008, 18:31
WE moved on to Sony Vaio's at the office. Nice wide screen but all sorts of technical issues at a level I never saw in past generations of other laptops.

My own machine blew the power supply which took the supplying dealer two weeks to fix, another machine runs continually hot, another hangs in the ProtectorSuite proprietary startup/shutdown software .....

I suspect that Sony just badge up something from a manufacturer in China. The one thing is the worldwide sales and marketing - I bought a replacement power supply in Russia when I'd forgotten mine at home. Oh well, back to HP next time.

Parapunter
10th Jul 2008, 20:36
One year international guarantee?

Surely that is a dig your heels in scenario?

Bushfiva
11th Jul 2008, 05:51
I know this doesn't help you, but Sony customer service is truly appalling.

Are you sure no-one's playing a joke on you by installing Sakasamouse, for example?

Borrow a USB mouse. If it's also reversed, it's almost certainly software setting. If it works OK, you can continue using your computer while you try to get some kind of warranty service out of Sony.

Parapunter
11th Jul 2008, 07:12
I rebuilt a Sony Vaio recently. I thought it was a very nice machine, however, I must admit, it came with a whole bunch of fairly useless utilities & bloatware on the cd.

I installed enough stuff to get all the bits & bobs working & left it at that.