PDA

View Full Version : In praise of Singapore Airlines Cargo!

Phantom Driver
10th Jul 2008, 17:38
Fly 50 hrs a month (if you're unlucky). Lots of flts these days augmented or double crew; (sometimes 3 pilots to fly between DXB & SIN?!). Long layovers in-(take your pick of exotic nightstops across the world, be it LAX, JNB, CPH, ANC, ORD or AKL etc,etc). 2 week pattern, 4 operating sectors.

Sure, the roster gets disrupted now and again,(actually, pretty often these days-all in the name of making money), but then life's got to have a few drawbacks. Fixed days OFF (additional to normal off days) are untouchable. Staff travel on the freighter. I call it a retirement job.

The bottom line is- despite all this, they made enough money to pay almost 6 months profit share bonus this year. Maybe not so good next time around, but hey-it beats working for a living.:ok:. (In case you're wondering -No, I'm not in management).

B744 is still the Queen of the Skies; just a pity that, with the latest Cost Index, we are now forced to slow down and fly at the same speed as the rest of the masses, (well, almost).

4PW's
11th Jul 2008, 06:17
I'm hearin' you, and feel the same way. The job's great, the crew are great, the destinations are great, the life's great. See you on the slopes of Alyeska in a few months!

Capt.Bee
11th Jul 2008, 06:36
I would second the gentlemen above. :ok: Same here for the parent company, with a stable roster though. Great job, happy mates. I hate seeing the fuel going through the roof. Might hurt our 6 month bonus next year.
Keep the blue side up and happy landings mates! :)

portquartercv67
11th Jul 2008, 08:47
Captain Charlie Charlie will be most happy to hear the three views above and will naturally extrapolate that ALL his minions feel the same way.

I respect the above opinions in regards to SIA Cargo. I hope you will respect mine:

It's a bit easier to forgive the negatives of a job, the false promises and outright misrepresentations when just within the last week, a $60,000+ deposit was made to one's account. For many I suppose that makes everything okay. I for one, would give up that profit sharing deposit for work rules that are pilot friendly and would force the company to provide us with more roster stability and control over our work lives, which has a direct influence over our private lives. If all one cares about is the annual total on the IR8E, then it's a good place to work. Come on down. But, if your private family life is at least as important to you as your compensation, you are in for a rude awakening. And that wake up call will come after forking over $56,000 in cash and signing a "mortgage" for $142,000.

PQ

fourgolds
11th Jul 2008, 10:18
I long to work for a company , where the pilots seem to be happy , almost content . Sounds great , time will tell . Enjoy it lads.

NVpilot
11th Jul 2008, 11:06
Bad news, living in Singapore. :rolleyes:

Phantom Driver
11th Jul 2008, 12:46
Oh yes, forgot to mention; Positioning (fairly regular). usually (but not always) in First class. Singapore girl's brief? Make sure the Dom Perignon (or Krug should you prefer), keeps flowing. Say no more!:ok:

ArkPilot
11th Jul 2008, 19:57
1) I like living in singapore, as does my family!

2) The perfect airline (where everyone is always happy) doesn't exist! Actually, it does, in the mind of the person who left their previous airline. (Just ask them)!

3) SQC is the best for me and my family. Doesn't mean it's the best for you. I don't begrudge you leaving for what you think is a better job for you. Please don't begrudge me for being happy in Singapore.

4) Instability is part of cago flying, combined with a formation of a new airline (yes, SQC is new. It's new in that it's being operated quasi-independently from SQ) and you have unstable schedules. Progress is being made but it will never be US legacy carrier QOL. In fact, for those who haven't noticed the good ole days are over at US legacy carriers!

5)As I see it, the main competition either isn't hiring DECs(Emirates, Jet Airways) or the main attraction (commuting contract, ie KAL) doesn't interest me. If it interests you, best of luck! Go for it!

Left Coaster
12th Jul 2008, 01:06
Well...guess you can't please everybody...It's working for me and the family, yes we had to adjust but that goes for lots of places and jobs! Right now I'm enjoying steady days off, thanks to a change in how we are rostered...and mostly steady flying, with some disruptions, good and bad. It goes with the kind of work this company does. Oh well! My family and I have learned to live with and accept that. Thanks for the profit share, I don't expect it, but it will go towards something important. Other than that, it's the weekend, the beer is chilling, I don't have to work til tomorrow, vacation is just around the corner, so I think I'll enjoy today! :}
Cheers
LC

hopeful_pilot
12th Jul 2008, 01:38
Hi folks, after having seen a thread not too long ago about how SIAC was in shambles with horrible rosters, lack of flying and low salaries, could anyone shed some light on whether these things have improved now and how things would look like in the future?

Is SIAC an airline worth joining and how does the future look for it?

BANANASBANANAS
12th Jul 2008, 10:20
Impossible to answer that one for you HP.

Its a deeply personal issue based on what you have now, what you expect and hope for the future and how flexible you and your family can be when adapting to change and living in a 'foreign' country.

FWIW, We are long term expats (came from another asian carrier) and we weren't too impressed for the first year or so but there have been improvements recently. Still a long way to go though.

Phantom Driver
12th Jul 2008, 18:11
This job, great as it sounds, is designed for we old timers. Senior First Officer somewhere else? Don't come here. Yes, it is nice flying the jumbo around the world, but you'd be wasting your time (literally). Head for the sandpit and hopefully those 4 bars, (recession permitting). because it won't happen in SIAC anytime soon.

I do feel sorry for the young (national) F/O's who are getting 1 handling sector a week, if they're lucky; (make that -two a month, some tell me). But then, with the relaxed flying schedule, it can be a bit of a struggle for all of us to stay current. SIAC rules (unlike other operators) quite conservative on this; (min 1 landing in 28 days for Captains). Surprising as it may sound, this is a constant ongoing battle. Have had to go back to the sim quite a few times for a "recency" session.

NGFellow
13th Jul 2008, 03:22
What are the prospects for a non B747 rated person with PIC on other jet and EFIS equipment?

portquartercv67
13th Jul 2008, 03:25
Hopeful_Pilot

Yes, come on down. Things are "miles" better now and the Dom and Krug is flowing in the "mostly" first class positioning!!! NOT.

The reason the 6 fixed days off, which by the way just started last month and is not contracturaly binding and can be taken away at any time, looks and "feels" so good now, is because is was so ****ty before. But remember, the other 24 days you are at the mercy of this company. Blank days are really reserve days because you have a contactability requirement. And reserve days where you are required to be contactable can be counted towards your 8 days off. So, if you are satisfied with just 6 fixed days off a month with the rest up for grabs and think that's a good deal, bring your $56,000 and come on down. Don't forget to ask your wife/kids though what they think about that.

PQ

ArkPilot
13th Jul 2008, 07:04
PQ,

You are correct about the unrostered days/R days (they are one in the same). The requirement for contactability is the same. The rest of the story is that minmum report time is 24 hours, unless a sooner report time is agreed to by the pilot.

Standby is another story, 1 1/2 hours. Those days are rostered with a start/stop time.

Now, in hopes of including everything, it is also worth mentioning that if you leave Singapore during unrostered/R days you must notify rostering. Phone call or email is sufficient. Notice I didn't say ask, I said notify.

These rules may not be what one experienced at their previous airline regarding unrostered days. Different airlines, different rules.

For those who may be considering SQC I hope this helps clarify some of the issues that have been discussed.

For those who may be considering departure, I wish you good luck!:ok:

Capt.Bee
13th Jul 2008, 09:36
......"not contracturaly binding and can be taken away at any time....."
PQ, you are negative person by default,aren't you? You always see the glass half empty ant this is your problem. You won't be happy anywhere.You are CARGO pilot and should've expected all the happenings. Why don't you move the horse to your perfect place and stop bitching every day. I'll help you with a few: Korea, India, China, beautiful. Good luck. :ok:

ArkPilot
13th Jul 2008, 09:59
Capt. Bee,

Not quite sure about your present status and company so I'll suggest to you that the condescending tone regarding freight is neither required nor desired in this thread, please take it elsewhere:=.

Now, if you have anything constructive to add, fire away!:rolleyes:

Capt.Bee
14th Jul 2008, 00:05
AP, chill out my friend, you are knocking on open door. BUT,when someone addresses me personally I'm entitled to an answer. Do you fill minion like? Well, I don't !..... if you get my drift. :)
P.S. My present status is nearly perfect and so is my morning coffee. Cheers!
To all, fly safe,land happy !

Air1980
14th Jul 2008, 02:27
So, for a 744 rated and current pilot, where do I apply? - all I see is DEC slots and cadet openings advertised. Any hints?......

kk pilot
14th Jul 2008, 05:15
If you have less than 2000 -3000 hrs heavy PIC, try KAL....:}

ArkPilot
14th Jul 2008, 14:37
Air 1980,

Assuming you are rated, and looking for a F/O slot I would go to Emirates.

DEC's have been discussed by many at length. Your choice is thinning yet it depends on where you and your family want to live, commute or not, etc.

Good Luck!:ok:

portquartercv67
14th Jul 2008, 15:49
Capt Bee

I see you take exception to dissenting opinions. I suppose that's apropos. We are in Singapore afterall. Perhaps I should go to "speaker's corner" next time?

If you have read some of my posts over the years, you will see that my comments about Singapore, the life, people and my colleagues etc... are VERY positive. I still feel that way which is all the more the pity. I just don't like the way I am being treated by this airline and am merely expressing my opinions about this job on this forum and in no way judge you or anyone else should you not share mine. But don't you think potential new joiners should hear all sides so that they can make a more informed decision about possibly accepting a job at SIAC? I wish I would have had that benefit. Had that been the case, I never would have applied.

Regards your comment that I should have known about "all the happenings" because this is a cargo job. Isn't that a bit catch-22 if one has never actually been a cargo pilot before?

I am sure none of us consider ourselves minions. The problem is Capt CC does and treats us accordingly. Just because he deposits $63,000 in your account in July doesn't mean he actually respects you.

Just my opinion.

PQ

BlunderBus
29th Jul 2008, 11:51
so what's the monthly pay?