PDA

View Full Version : Government finance for trainee pilots??

AdamLT
10th Jul 2008, 15:27
Reading all about pilot shortages in Russia and Australia (in Flight International), and the UK (as from Chris Clarke's note...http://www.ctcaviation.com/pdf/Pilot%20Shortage%20Looming_18Apr08.pdf) will the British Government follow what the Australian Transport Minister, Mark Vaile, is trying to do with the shortage over there? Calls for lift to pilot training | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,,22101168-23349,00.html?from=public_rss)

I believe there was a petition set up earlier this year, but with only a small amount of signatures Petition to: Support Trainee Pilots!. (http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Pilot-training/)

Would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Ad

heli_port
10th Jul 2008, 16:00
Nice Idea i have signed the petition. good idea :ok:

tupues
10th Jul 2008, 16:05
There has never been a shortage of newly qualified fATPL holders. It take about 3 months to train a new fATPL on type. When airlines say pilot shortage they mean at that particular moment in time, they are in desperate need for crew that can 'get in and go' as it were. This is interpreted as a general shortage of pilots which is wrong. In the current climate experienced crew are even les likely to 'jump ship' which leads to an even greater lack of available experience-on-relevant-type pilots when airline X needs to fill a space.

I can think of 3 airlines, in the UK that hire new fATPL holders. BA, FR and Flybe. They certainly arn't short of people wanting to join! There are 20 people per month coming out of OAA integrated course alone, with fatpls. Roughly the same from FTE and Cabair. I can only guess how many modular-trained pilots come on the job market each month. At the moment, there are barely enough jobs avaliable for the output of one FTO let alone each FTO in the UK.

Its all very well saying the government should fund pilots etc. The problem is there just aren't the jobs to go to. Before anyone says 'Banner tow/crop dust/ small operators' - how many banners do you see being towed in this country? Small operaters require certain number of multi-engine hrs for insurance. Infact there are more airline jobs avaliable for a 200hr pilot than GA jobs!

Supply and demand. More pilots than jobs. End of.

portsharbourflyer
10th Jul 2008, 16:13
It is probably no coincidence that CTCs press release corresponds to the launch of the ICP scheme; theCTC course for self funded students as opposed to the wings scheme which was essentially/sort of a sponsored route (loan was in students name but no cash up front required).

If this did ever exist and you made the funding for pilot training easier to obtain then it is only going to increase the competition for jobs and make your job hunting situation far worse.

I know it is an awful experience trying to raise the funds for flight training but it does limit to some extent the numbers training. However I do wish that trainee pilots could have at least got an exemption on council tax payments.

preduk
10th Jul 2008, 17:44
I don't agree with it all been paid for but I believe the Scottish Government should be supporting Scottish student pilots while doing their ATPL theory exams, just like they do with University and College courses.

ElCapitano8
10th Jul 2008, 20:40
There are 20 people per month coming out of OAA integrated course alone, with fatpls. Roughly the same from FTE and Cabair.

I'm Afraid thats a bit of an over estimation. Oxford 20per month, Fte 12per month, Cabair 6per month. Not all of them are uk pilots either.

clear prop!!!
10th Jul 2008, 21:53
preduk

You may well have a point, but..if, the scottish government were to support you in the way that they support other students, you would have to study an intergrated course in scotland, and,...you can't!

It is ridiculous that pilot training attracts VAT, is not accepted as a vocational course for purposes of student loans etc etc, but that, has become, sadly, a lost cause.

I tried to fight that one years ago with my MP, MEP at-all and got nowhere

tupes:

There has never been a huge demand for fine art students, geography students etc so that argument does not hold any water!

what adamLt means, (I suspect), is that the course is treated as any other subject and that trainee pilots at least are given student status and, VAT is removed from training costs! Not a difficult one to argue....you would think!!