PDA

View Full Version : MS latest Windows update and ZoneAlarm conflict

dontpickit
9th Jul 2008, 18:25
Microsoft 'fix' cripples ZoneAlarm users - vnunet.com (http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2221138/microsoft-fix-kills-web)

One to be aware of if you're installing the latest updates and running ZoneAlarm.

Of course, if you've already installed the latest automatic updates you won't be able to read this unless you've disabled ZoneAlarm.

BOAC
9th Jul 2008, 21:59
Appreciate the link, but I 'updated' today (ZA Free, WinXP SP2) and that KB has not come down the wire??

Amendment - it has now 'arrived' - and has been politely 'declined'.

Keef
9th Jul 2008, 23:28
I decided some months ago that XP was about as mature as it needed to be, and that the then-most-recent updates had caused more problems than they'd solved. I turned off automatic updates (and even the notification of them).

That has turned out to have been an excellent decision! I keep reading about the latest hiccups, and am delighted not to have them.

BOAC
10th Jul 2008, 07:46
Smug *******:)

All exactly as per DPI's post, Update uninstalled and here I is again.

gas path
10th Jul 2008, 08:07
No ***:mad:*** wonder I've been struggling! Finally worked out it was the ZA firewall. I've had to shut it down and rely on the windows one.
AND what's more I've just let the laptop 'upgrade' itself:*

d71146
10th Jul 2008, 08:17
I have problems with the latest update although I do not use Zone Alarm but Kapersky which is great.
This weeks batch 4 in all the first 3 downloaded and installed fine but the 4th which is 56mb in size downloads to 53% then will not download further has anyone any ideas on this one please.
Is perhaps their a way of deleting the 53% thats already been downloaded and start afresh perhaps.

Thanks.

Bern Oulli
10th Jul 2008, 08:22
The alternative solution I have been using with a flood of relatives who suddenly cannot connect to the Interweb (why me?), has been to System Restore them back to 8th July and then disable Auto Updates. At least that way Zone Alarm remains useable until ZA come up with a fix.

BOAC
10th Jul 2008, 15:37
Much simpler to uninstall KB951748 and 'decline' it on the update page.

The Flying Pram
10th Jul 2008, 15:44
Yes me too, however there is a new version of ZA available, and it does work with KB951748! But the recommended way is to perform a "clean uninstall" first to clear out any settings etc. This is the procedure I followed:
Click on Start -> Programs -> Zone Labs
RIGHT-click on Uninstall Zone Labs Security, then select Properties
Under Target you will see the following line (the actual drive may be different on your system): "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe"
Change it to: "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean /rmlicense

(add a space and then the /clean /rmlicense)
Click OK to save the new command line.
Click on Start -> Programs -> Zone Labs -> Uninstall Zone Labs Security
Click OK to run the uninstaller, and OK any security alerts that pop up.
say "Yes when being prompted for the removal of all files and allow TrueVector to shut down.
Reboot
After rebooting, check for the following folders, and delete them if you find them: "Internet Logs"
"Zone Labs" (under your Program Files folder)
"Zonelabs" (under your Windows System32 folder)
Empty your recycle bin
Reboot
install the latest version if you are reinstallingI found that there were no files/folders left behind after doing this, so for once an "uninstall" actually did what it said.

gas path
10th Jul 2008, 17:55
The Flying Pram
Many thanks for that, it worked a treat:ok:
Certainly no files or folders remained, but I ran crap cleaner to clean out one or two registry entries left.
The new file version is 7.0.483.000

BOAC
10th Jul 2008, 21:41
Thanks TFP.

ZoneAlarm User Forum - ZoneAlarm User Forum (http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs/)

(Don't ask - now't to do with me):)

Update: Straightforward download of latest ZA, install ('upgrade'), download/run of KB951748,re-boot and all appears normal this AM (whatever MS 'normal' is:D)