PDA

View Full Version : Emirates Security incident-DXB 09 July 2008 at 7.45am

Bangkok Layover
9th Jul 2008, 17:51
Has anyone got any info on the above incident?

Gulf news reported the situation as "Due to a disruptive/Drunk British pax" on Emirates flight from MAN and a bomb treat.

If the above was indeed a bomb treat,why was the Aircraft not evacuated immediately? And why was the Aircraft held on run way for over 40 minutes rounded by rescue teams and Police?

Dubai Catering / Red cap on duty confirmed that a crew member has been severely beaten up by the pax in question.

Could this have been an attempted hijack (as suggested by many),which was efficiently camouflaged?

5star
9th Jul 2008, 18:18
It was a mess (again)..... diversions, delays.... :ugh:
The idiots shut down the airport for more than 1 hour while an aircraft was parked on a remote stand. Can you believe it? :rolleyes:
Oh boy... they have a long long way to go....
This airport is outta control every time someone farts at the wrong time at the wrong place. Seen it time and time again.
Hopeless.

Leito
10th Jul 2008, 02:47
Here its the link, why don't we analize the facts instead of talking nonesense? I believe that this is a bit more serious than "someone farting" or "attempted hijack", c'mon guys, it's here in black and white

Gulfnews: Drunk man causes bomb scare on flight (http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Police_and_The_Courts/10227394.html)

expat400
10th Jul 2008, 03:03
The only serious thing is that he was too drunk.

A drunk englishman claims that he has a bomb? Yaaawn. If someone plants a real bomb onboard he wont be sitting drunk and talk about it.

5star
10th Jul 2008, 06:43
Leito,

Sad for you that you didn't get the point. Shows us you are obviously not able to read between the lines.

Anyway... it has been proven once again. Once something unforseen happens, the guys at OMDB airport have no clue how to manage things other than shutting down. This is the 3rd time I see this happen.

lowstandard
10th Jul 2008, 07:39
Maybe the Home Office issued an increased security threat in the UAE last month BECAUSE of the Brits......That and tripping over them screwing on the beach.

tmax
10th Jul 2008, 15:20
These guys can not handle a runway change!!

chinny
10th Jul 2008, 15:47
...and I'm sure you lot would be the first to complain that not enough was done if something serious did happen:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

VTSP
chinny

HZ123
10th Jul 2008, 16:06
The airport / airline were acting in the prescribed risk assessment actions and cannot be faulted for that. I do hope that this a-------e gets locked up for 10 years with that other idiot on the beach. Here in the Uk we have more a-------s than we know what to do with, its fortunate that we can send you a number of them. How long before a/c have a sealed cell to put these people in.

MrMachfivepointfive
10th Jul 2008, 16:08
The crew's mistake was to tell ATC about the drunken ****. We narrowly avoided diversions. GCAA has apologized today for over reacting. I hope the gentleman in question spends one or two nights in Rashidiyah police station in the tender loving care of two dozen love sick Pakistani heavy weight champions.

FinalControl
16th Jul 2008, 10:27
Have you ever done a runway change?

CEP
16th Jul 2008, 19:01
These guys can not handle a runway change!!

Easy on mate, the analogy sucks! Leave ATC out of this one, nothing to do with the decisions taken that day!
Maybe you can come help during the next runway change, sure it will be a lot smoother with you in command!:D

Can I come fly your plane???????

keel beam
16th Jul 2008, 22:23
I hear Dubai is becoming the "New Costa" and you know what that means!

The cheap flight era is comong to an end, so these sort of incidents should reduce:ok:

TwinJock
18th Jul 2008, 07:45
If you can get to OR from the UK without some drunk pommy yobo antics, it must be a record:sad:.

These guys and girls are renowned for not being able to handle their binge drinking!!

sispanys ria
19th Jul 2008, 11:29
An interesting and wise article about this types of drifts (tough it come from 7 BS newspaper days...)

In reality, most of us are not always drunk and certainly very few of us (let’s hope) are romping on the beach or hitting policemen with our wannabe Jimmy Choos from Aldo.Ok, we all admit to enjoying a drink now and then and we’ve probably all guzzled our fair share of champagne at venue du jour, Yalumba. But ‘Boozy Brits go wild in Dubai’ - as the headline of a feature about our sozzled existence in The Sun read - is a bit of a stretch, isn’t it?

http://ads.7days.ae/adlog.php?bannerid=204&clientid=188&zoneid=47&source=&block=0&capping=0&cb=ff3dfd1d60f711048fa9e283b91602f1
http://ads.7days.ae/adview.php?what=zone:47&n=a58a34a4 (http://ads.7days.ae/adclick.php?n=a58a34a4)
Unfortunately, it’s less of a stretch than it used to be.I say unfortunately, because I, along with many of my fellow Brits if the letters to 7DAYS are anything to go by, feel embarrassed about having any association with our infamous compatriots, Michelle Palmer and Vince Acors.Because two Saturdays ago, they didn’t deem a modicum of respect necessary, our nationality has been dragged through the mud - mostly in our own tabloids of course, but the fallout of negative sentiment is being felt here too.“I don’t know what you’re all so shocked about,” one reader wrote in, “all Brits behave like that.”
With our own newspapers perpetuating that myth, I can’t really hold his opinion against him. But it does grate.Putting my pride aside, I have to admit that Brits, and western expats in general (sorry - time to redress the national bias), have started to move, or completely ignore, the line over which we shouldn’t step.I’m not harking back to a halcyon era where we walked through sand dunes to reach the only social club that served beer - I haven’t been here that long! But I have been here seven years and Dubai has become bigger, flashier and has more expats living in it than ever before.
There are more outlets selling us booze and there are more people who think that it’s ok to behave as if they’re in Ibiza, rather than the Middle East.
Showing some respect to the local culture doesn’t mean you have to suddenly stop having fun. The UAE government - and the Dubai rulers in particular - are actually very easygoing with us, when you consider the rules in other countries.Drinking is allowed - even during Ramadan, when many neighbouring countries still go dry. And when we do bend the rules, as long as we don’t rub their noses in it, they mostly turn a blind eye.
Not everyone is abstaining from sex before marriage and some people drink when they don’t have an alcohol licence. The authorities aren’t stupid - they know that, but as long as you don’t flaunt it publicly, they leave you to it.What Michelle Palmer and Vince Acors did was rub their noses in it -big time. “Here we are, look at us. We’re so drunk, that we think it’s a good idea to have sex on a public beach… oh and then verbally abuse you and your religion.”That’s not acceptable behaviour anywhere, let alone in a Muslim country and although I don’t wish six years in a Dubai jail on anyone, Michelle, in particular as a resident here, deserves to be punished in some way for showing complete contempt for the country she has chosen to live in.
Mind you, you’re reading the words of someone who doesn’t wear sleeveless tops to shopping malls during Ramadan - how old fashioned of me.
And to those of you who are reaching for your keyboards with a ranting reply - I welcome your feedback of course - but let me pre-emptively answer any protests.Not one of you is here under duress - and if I’m wrong about that, please get in touch, it’s a great story.You have all chosen to live here and therefore, I believe, accept a set of conditions that includes showing a degree of decency in public that means you might have to give a little bit more thought to your behaviour than you would do in Magaluf - it’s not really a hardship is it?And please no bleating that expats (read immigrants) “don’t respect the rules in my country so why should I do so here”. You’ve heard the one about little Tommy putting his hand in the fire right? Just because someone else is doing it, it doesn’t make it the right thing to do. So go out and enjoy the city for what it is. Have brunch, drink as much as you want and dance the night away in your sequinned boob-tube. But while you’re at it, show a little respect to the people who might not want those things - least of all the boob tube - shoved down their throats.In the meantime, what now for cultural relations in our city?
The UK newspaper coverage is likely to have embarrassed the powers that be here and I hope that it doesn’t lead to certain privileges we enjoy at the moment being removed. Making sure we don’t add to the embarrassment might help that situation to be avoided.A rumour that the British Embassy was set to issue a ‘code of conduct’ for its nationals here has been denied. Shame. It’s a great idea. Why not remind people of cultural sensibilities?
A poll in 7DAYS yesterday showed that 60 per cent of you would support similar information being handed out to tourists as they arrive at the airport.
Like most of us living here, I don’t want to see the rules become stricter or the authorities less tolerant, but ensuring everyone who visits the UAE, for a holiday or to make a home here, can make an educated decision on how to conduct themselves is a good idea.If the odd few still insist on flaunting behaviour which offends our hosts, they’re fair game for the police as far as I’m concerned.

by ClairE Sharrock

I agree that the current benefits should be preserved instead of stupidly heading towards more restrictions.

homesick rae
19th Jul 2008, 13:59
One of the pax on that flight came into the Irish Village (he was en route to Brisbane and now had to overnight) afterwards and simply said the guy was "well gone"...and that the "security personnel didn't mess about."

He was a tad shocked but I am not sure whether that was because of the incident or the 28DHS for a pint!

Cheers

HR