PDA

View Full Version : Is it totally bad to do IR before CPL?

Toujours
9th Jul 2008, 15:53
Have you done this before? Your views? Is it bad?

Luke SkyToddler
9th Jul 2008, 16:07
My wife did it like that and had no problems, they are two completely different skills and different types of flying.

Most people prefer to just get all the VFR stuff out of the way first so they don't have to go back into all the drudging around the countryside visual map reading in a PA28 after they've got their IR they can focus on the MCC or type rating or whatever it is they're going to do next, and they're still in the IFR mindset.

But if it's January, it sometimes makes a lot of sense to get the IR out of the way first, because you'll just have too many days where you can't get any VFR flying. Then come April or May when the IR is finished, you'll have a better chance of getting more than one day a week nice weather for the CPL :ok:

MIKECR
9th Jul 2008, 16:14
As Luke says, weather can be a major factor. Did my IR here in Scotland in the winter time, you can imagine what the weather was like! I finished it just in time for spring, perfect for CPL. The CPL did feel like a bit of a backward step though. Fond memories of my instructor beating me with his ruler to get my head out of the instruments!!

pipertommy
9th Jul 2008, 16:15
Did the IR before the CPL, I felt the two are,like said above, different types of flying. Totally up to you which way you want to do it.
One point also is that doing the IR before allows you to have a reduction on the CPL hours down to 25 for a trade off having to do an extra 5 hours for the IR. I found this to be a good way of doing it because chances are the IMC may be new to you so those 5 hours are welcome.
Best of Luck:ok:

GASH !
9th Jul 2008, 21:22
Doing the IR before the CPL will reduce the minimum hours required for the CPL course to 15 (you wont have to do the 10 hours instrument flying), for an extra 5 hours on the IR course.

Nashers
9th Jul 2008, 21:46
all well said about the 10 hours and 5 hours. but if you intend to fly jets you need a multi engine IR. therefore to save 10 hours in a single engine during the cpl you will have fly 5 hours on a multiengine extra. dont know how much it is per hour but i would guess there is not much in it.

i did my cpl before my IR so i dont have to go from VFR to IFR then back again. i wanted to get all the VFR out the way so when i finish my IR its more fresh in my mind for that all important sim check!

corsair
9th Jul 2008, 22:40
Is it totally bad to do IR before CPL?

Yeah man, like totally dude:cool:

Sorry, couldn't resist. Yes I know I'm leaving................:O:oh: