PDA

View Full Version : JAA Class 2 Conversion to Class 1

Denning
9th Jul 2008, 13:48
Hi

I'm sure this has been done to death but I couldnt find anything when I did a search. I am about to start the JAA PPL, with the idea of eventually training for CPL and ATPL.

Rather than go out to Gatwick and pay the initial class 1 medical, (which I can't see needing for at least a year), I am thinking of just going to my local GP who can do the intial class 2.

When I then need to get a class 1, can a class 2 be upgraded to a class 1 by just doing the extra tests not covered in the class 2 or would an entire inital class 1 be required.

Cheers for any help

Denning

MIKECR
9th Jul 2008, 13:56
Nope, you'll still have to go to Gatwick for the class 1. You'll get the full works, theres no dispensation as such for already having a class 2.

Denning
9th Jul 2008, 14:02
Cheers for that.

Still can't see it a good investment to go to Gatwick yet as the class 2 will suffice for at least a year.

I would be doing the modular route and there doesnt seem to be much extra involved in the class 1, so if I have a class 2, chances are that I could get class 1, or is that being naive??

Denning

aintboeingaintgoing
9th Jul 2008, 14:08
Hi

It all depends, if you are planning on becoming a professional pilot then you would require a class 1, so I would strongly suggest that you do the class 1 initially so that you know that you are able to obtain a class 1 you cold then let it slip to a class 2 does that automatically after the first year if you don’t keep it current and then when you are ready to get the class 1 again it is a simple conversion back to the class 1,

Basically what I am saying is that at least if you get the class 1 initially then you know that you are able, it would be a shame to spend a fortune on flight training and do all the studying to find out that you are not able to get the class 1 :bored:

MIKECR
9th Jul 2008, 14:17
Its up to you. I held a class 2 for 4 years before i decided to do my cpl/ir. I played safe however and went to gatwick before I took the plunge. Theres every likelihood you'll be fine but there is always the possibility that something may show up at the class 1. For the sake of getting it over and done with and being 100% sure, then just bite the bullet and do it. How devastated would you be 12 months down the line ready to start CPL, only to realise you have some underlying medical problem?? Lots of tears, dreams in tatters and money down the plughole!

Once you've got it, the class 1 renewals arent overly expensive, certainly nothing like the initial.

Denning
9th Jul 2008, 14:32
Thanks Chaps

I think that class 1 is probably the most sensible,I suppose it is just time to realise that anything tainted with aviation will be costly.....

MIKECR
9th Jul 2008, 15:16
Very! In this game, I usually go by taking the advertised price and then doubling it!

Whirlygig
9th Jul 2008, 18:11
I am thinking of just going to my local GP who can do the intial class 2.
Unless your GP is also an AME, he/she cannot sign you off for a JAA Class 2 medical. All GPs can do is issue a medical for the NPPL which, assuming you want to go commercial, is not the best course of action.

Your best bet is go to Gatwick, get a Class 1 and let it lapse into a Class 22. Then a local AME can do the Class 1 renewal (provided ECG etc all up to date).

Cheers

Whirls