PDA

View Full Version : IE 5 confusion and general unmerriment

WX Man
10th Feb 2000, 22:03
When I put Internet Explorer 5 on my machine, to replace IE 4, something wierd happened. It's nothing major, just a bit irritating, wondering if anyone knows a solution?

I use IE5 primarily for viewing HTML and TXT files off line (I use Netscape 4 when on line). Before I put IE 5 on the computer, I only had to double click on an HTML file to bring it up in the browser window. Now, when I double click on the HTML file, it opens a new Internet Explorer window to view the file in! Can this change be reverted so that double clicking loads the file in the most recently used browser window?

Ironguts
12th Feb 2000, 17:12
WX Man,

It's done for reason - MS found a bug where Explorer and Internet Explorer both use basically the same area of RAM, with disasterous results - only way to get around it was to "open brower in a new window"

Long Live Linux!!!!

Flying Banana
13th Feb 2000, 16:29
Try going to 'tools' 'internet options''advanced' there is an option for browser windows there

Also in non online folder go to 'view' 'folder options' 'general' 'custom settings' there are options there.

I upgraded IE4 to IE5 as well and my browser opens document in current window, there's definitely an option for it somewhere

clownfish
14th Feb 2000, 04:35
Its been said before on this forum but I'll say it again. Get a computer magazine with a cover CD that has IE 5.01. This version fixes heaps of bugs that exist on IE5.

PRM - Flyer
14th Feb 2000, 11:31
Would have to agree that IE 5.01 is a major improvement over IE5.0
If you are running at 266 spped or better with 128 meg Ram, you will get excellent performance,especially on graphic intense pages.