PDA

View Full Version : Why so many WHITE Lears?

pattern_is_full
9th Jul 2008, 05:37
Poking around in internet picture files, it seems that 95% of Lears out there are basic white with perhaps a touch of color on the wings or tail or below the waistline (another 2% are silver). Just curious as to why so little colorful variation (yes, there are a few startling ones out there)

A. Guys who buy bizjets are cheap when it comes to paint jobs
B. Crummy A/C needs all the help it can get on the ramp
C. visibility issues (smallish craft travelling at high speed)
D. Want to look like a "serious" aircraft (but than why no conservative grays and blues and maroons and forest greens and such?)
E. other

[Edit: on further searching, I'll expand this to cover ALL bizjets - seems like Lear is not alone in the, ahh, SIMPLICITY of the color schemes offered. Gulfstream, Cessna, other Bombos all share the tendency]

Mad (Flt) Scientist
9th Jul 2008, 05:58
On one hand, I believe it improves the ability to resell the aircraft. Few people want a garish paint scheme, and even fewer want someone else's garish paint scheme. It's simple and cheap to repaint a fin and winglets, say, to a new owner's taste, without having to strip a tartan fuselage, say.

On the other hand, I believe that for at least some aircraft it may be a thermal cabin issue - a generally white-ish fuselage is easier to keep cool in direct sunlight (or at least doesn't get as hot), and especially for aircraft with no APU on-board, that could be quite important. That would be your part B. (It's a case of NO A/C if the engines are off)

HS125
9th Jul 2008, 13:21
A few reasons come to mind:

White is good at hiding imperfections in the surface, but dark colours, especially solid black show them up.

Also the paint warranty on metallics is much shorter. This is defnitely the case with Bombardier products.

con-pilot
9th Jul 2008, 17:10
A couple of reasons, one is for visual impact while airborne for midair issues, secondly for cabin cooling in warm/hot climates.

I had a friend who's boss painted a Lear 35 completely black with red striping. The interior would get so hot in the summer it melted the plastic in the cabin and caused the headlined to fall down. They repainted the next winter; white.

pattern_is_full
9th Jul 2008, 21:47
Thanks - I'll accept a melting cockpit as sufficient reason!