PDA

View Full Version : MS-DOS doublspace files

Tinstaafl
5th Feb 2000, 23:58
Hiya,

Does anyone still have DOS 6.0 available? I need to resurrect an old 386sx that has been doublespaced.

Unfortunately my DOS disks are half a world away!

I'm not sure yet but I might also need the system files: IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS & COMMAND.COM as well as all the doublespace files. Drivespace from DOS 6.2x might also work. Don't remember as I've not bothered with DOS for ages.

If anyone wouldn't mind emailing those files to me I'd be grateful.

Cheers
Tinstaafl

Nightrider
6th Feb 2000, 02:48
check your C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND directory....all files are there, you can use them to retrieve the double spaced files.

Double space, it was the beginning of the inferno...how much trouble did it cost....

40degrees
7th Feb 2000, 00:06
quote from engineer flate mate:

"you need to have special settings on your boot disk to be able to access the virtual disk, if you just boot normally you will end up on the physical disk which just contains the huge double space file. Apparently you should also check bootdisk.com "

hope it helps

Tinstaafl
9th Feb 2000, 00:10
Thanks people. I tried the windows/command drvspace files. Unfortunately I need to make a DOS 6 boot disk & only have Win 98 available. Is bootdisk.com a web site? I'll see if I can find it...

I have used doublespace then drivespace on an XT with DOS for years. It's still running (crawling?) happily. At least DOS has help about command line switches - even if a bit terse.

Tried using the Win 98 boot disk + the drvspace files but @#$%! Microsoft have seen fit to make the current version require Windows to run AND have removed info in 'help' on command line switches. Jeez they're frusting. 'Help' only guides you to which Windows button to click. Talk about 'Help' that doesn't! :mad:

Looks like I need to get hold of the DOS help file that has command line switch info. The 386 still has the files (hidden, read only, system) but I can't remember the commands. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/redface.gif

I think I'm getting closer to moving to Linux.

Ironguts
13th Feb 2000, 14:21
Tin,
You don't say why you can' get access to the double-spaced vitual drive. Have the Config.sys & Autoexec.bat files been changed recently? - Try going back to using an earlier version of each by using the "ren" ( ie rename ) function. DOS-6 was an abortion of an Ops-Sys, 6.20 was worse and anyone who uses compressed drives deserves all they get!

Remember: There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!!!!

Or extra space on a hard drive!!

[This message has been edited by Ironguts (edited 13 February 2000).]

Tinstaafl
14th Feb 2000, 22:50
Thanks everyone. All fixed. It was a combination of things but everyone's input helped.

"Igor, I think it's alive!"