PDA

View Full Version : NAIPS 0198 access to be shut down

Capn Bloggs
9th Jul 2008, 04:03
This seems to me to be a retrograde step. It now means you have to have your own Internet connection. If you don't have a dialup account and you're away from home, how are you going to use NAIPS without wireless or network connection (hardly practical in a pub)?

Airservices says:This change is a result of Telstra’s decision to cease providing IP remote services.

Why is this different to all the ISPs in Australia that have one 0198-type access number for Australia-wide access?

Why wasn't this run past RAPAC beforehand?

Thoughts?

Desert Duck
9th Jul 2008, 06:37
It was - it was a waste of time commenting, Telstra was shutting it down

hogespa28
9th Jul 2008, 09:51
I just got a new phone two weeks ago in order to use the 019 access. Was incredibly handy. Really disappointed to hear its going to be shut down.

Any idea exactly when this is happening?

povopilot
9th Jul 2008, 10:29
Hoges, if you have a next g mobile then you can access everything through the bom website on the phone. Obviously i understand that next g doesn't work everywhere but it is quite a good solution when you do have access to it.

Capn Bloggs
9th Jul 2008, 12:07
Hoges,

Any idea exactly when this is happening?

19 September 2008.

bentleg
9th Jul 2008, 21:11
if you have a next g mobile then you can access everything through the bom website on the phone

Dont think you can get NOTAMs at BOM. You can probably get weather and NOTAMS through the Airservices website, Pilot briefing. (I have never tried it from a phone).

Biggles_in_Oz
9th Jul 2008, 22:09
Oh this is wonderfull. :yuk:

So., when I'm not near an actual landline I'm going to have to hope that I have mobile coverage and then I'm going to have to read upto 20 pages (A4 equivalents) on a tiny screen. :yuk:

Oh, and I'm on a $1.65 per megabyte data plan, which makes interneting effing expensive. (because most websites bloat their pages at around 1 Mbyte minimum.)

grrrrr.