PDA

View Full Version : NavCanada and "high tech" obviously don't mix...

fernytickles
9th Jul 2008, 02:54
So...I have to register in order to file a flight plan online. Simple, shurly? Certainly not!

I have to download, print out, complete and then FAX said form back to the customer (dis)service. They will then get to process and "approve" my registration.

Oh FFS :ugh: Give me fltplan.com or DUATS or any of the other straight forward methods any day...

J.O.
9th Jul 2008, 11:40
Oh please! I don't work for NavCanada, and they certainly don't need me to come to their defence. If you took the time to have a tour of a NavCanada facility such as YYZ tower, you would see that they have developed several industry-leading technologies, inculding some that have been sold to other ATC agencies throughout the world.

Have you never heard of spamming? Imagine the gridlock to the ATC system when some hacker with nothing better to do decides to spam the ATC flight planning system with thousands of spam flight plans on a busy Friday afternoon. Meanwhile, folks like yourself, with a need to file a legitimate flight plan, sit waiting for hours for their clearance to come through. The registration program is simply to help prevent such an attack by allowing ATC to limit users to those with a legitimate need.

In other words, instead of slamming NavCanada for having a reasonable security protocol, maybe you should be criticizing fltplan.com and DUATS for not having a similar facility in place.

JMHO

Falcon Driver
9th Jul 2008, 13:16
B.S. it's nothing more than a requirement so that Nav Canada can collect the required information so they know where to send the bill to collect the appropriate fees and taxes.

MidgetBoy
9th Jul 2008, 21:59
Atleast they're nice people. I'm going to use them to help me do my whole weather project for school. Why observe weather 4 times a day for a week, when I can just get more accurate results by using a nice service our tax dollars pay for.

Anyways, why don't you just call the number and file it over the phone. It's free and much faster.

skyelaird
17th Jul 2008, 01:29
B.S. it's nothing more than a requirement so that Nav Canada can collect the required information so they know where to send the bill to collect the appropriate fees and taxes.

Silliness on your part. :ugh:
NAV CANADA charges the owner / operator of the aircraft and they know who that is.

skyelaird
19th Jul 2008, 16:32
The fact that Nav Canada is pushing ahead with a radar system that is already obsolete says it all I think.

huh? :confused:
What radar system is nav canada getting?
They're moving ahead with ADS-B & MLat (multilateration) and haven't bought a new radar for a few years nor are there plans to do so to my knowledge...

cheers.