PDA

View Full Version : Legal Fees Due to Ops?

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
8th Jul 2008, 20:24
I'm having to ask for an adjournment of a divorce hearing due to deployment in the desert here. This will incur some extra costs.

Does anyone know if I can claim these back?

Cheers

SPHLC

TOPBUNKER
9th Jul 2008, 00:22
What a subtle divorce announcement!:)
Do the mates get their toasters back?

9th Jul 2008, 21:23
Thanks alot everyone

Stressed Out, Afg.

Jackonicko
9th Jul 2008, 22:16
I can offer no help whatsoever, Sir PH's LC.

No shock there!

But I do offer human sympathy at having both of these stresses in your life at all - let alone at the same time, and I wish you the very best of luck, and a swift and safe return.

9th Jul 2008, 22:51
Thanks Jacko

Its a different type of stress for the C130 boys, we're becoming institutionalised! Hate it out here, but when we get home, can't wait to get back again! Analyse that!

We're averaging 7 months in the desert (month at a time) and then some **** tells you to do yer buttons up on yer jacket in the mess hall.

On my yearly Regt brief the Padre did his bit on PTSD with a powerpoint on symptoms (fatigue, short temper, burn out, withdrawn etc etc) and I saw most of the room nodding silently to themselves as he went down the list.

Anyway, should I:-

a) Demand to come home early and **** up my mates holiday with his kids
b) Pay extra for an adjornement
c) Bugger me its 3.15 am in Afg and I should kip now, wonder if I'll get to sleep

althenick
9th Jul 2008, 22:55
SPHLC

I echo Jacko's sentiments on this one. Hope you get back from AFG.

Think of it this way if everything goe your way then when you get back you'll BE FREEE!

...Jammy Git

ShyTorque
9th Jul 2008, 23:17
SPHLc,

Consider sympathy sent.

Analyse that!

You're sad gits.

Anything else we can help with?

The Real Slim Shady
9th Jul 2008, 23:33
Shouldn't incur extra costs other than those associated with the application.

As one who is being severely "done" in the financial settlement may I offer this advice:

Keep all bank statements
Keep all credit card statements
Make all payments to ex via standing order(shows up on bank statements)
If she asks for something,get it in writing
Any agreements - in writing

Good luck

Jackonicko
9th Jul 2008, 23:43
Maintain an attitude of apologetic regret to the other partner - however you feel in reality.

The more amicable a divorce, the less it costs you financially, I'm told.

If you need anything chasing in this bit of the UK (local to Benson), PM me.

Al R
10th Jul 2008, 05:31
Sir Peter,

Surely being deployed on Active Service is extenuating circumstances enough, without incurring extra costs? Either way, I hope things work out ok - although that isn't much help right now I guess.

Good luck mate.

parabellum
11th Jul 2008, 00:07
Do you really need to be there for the divorce hearing? Can't your solicitor be there on your behalf. I seem to remember that the divorce hearing was a thirty second affair, from what I was told by my solicitor, to obtain a decree nisi but the real 'negotiation' regarding property and children etc. took place between the parties and their solicitors to obtain an agreement that would enable a decree absolute to be given. Go for the decree nisi now, let your solicitor attend, do the decree absolute when you get back, possible?

skyguard
11th Jul 2008, 02:59
I served on the UK Special courier team (the guys with the blue boxes on your aircraft) during Telic 1 and under the same stresses as you, obtained the decree nisi before I went, got it on xmas eve (merry xmas Mr Skyguard) then went on ops overnight with very little warning from Feb 03. I sorted all the rest out when I got home. This was arranged via mobile phone calls to my solicitor from Cyprus and various points all over the middle east where and when I could get a line out, getting all appearances and hearings suspended till my return in Sep 03.
I seem to recall that I did have to appear. I paid a lot of money for a good family law QC but it was worth it keeping my pension as he wiped the floor with her solicitor, with a counter claim on hers when she tried to clean me out completely. She was a Civil servant. Had to resort to a 60/40 split in her favour, as she was alledgedly the home maker and I was 'always away from home on duty'. Didn't take in to account who paid the mortgage at all. Hacked me off a bit that did.
As others have said try and keep it amicable but in my experience, and, I was non blameworthy, the dollar signs appear in their eyes at the mere hint of the word pension. Good luck and sorry to hear of your troubles, its bad enough dealing with it at home, but on ops. Keep yer heid doon.
PS. I cant remember paying extra for an adjournment

carlos755
11th Jul 2008, 03:05
Hi,
I managed to get BALPA to sort out my divorce years ago, although I was only an associate member as I was working as an FE on 57 at the time..might be worth joining as its only about 20 quid a year and they wrapped up the whole thing at for free.
Cheers
Carlos