PDA

View Full Version : BA New York Concorde incident

LBIA
2nd Jul 2008, 20:17
Hi

Just notice on another forum that BA, Concorde G-BOAD which lives in New York at the Flloyd bennet airfield has had her nose ripped off.

]What is happening to G-BOAD (caution: disturbing photos) • NYCAviation.com (http://nycaviation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12589)

How could they let this happen?

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l233/mateu21/June302008Concorde027.jpg

We should all make British Airways take notice at what’s happened to Concorde, Alpha Delta and make them get her out of New York and into somewhere she'll be truly looked after ASAP.

What do you guys think?

luoto
8th Jul 2008, 12:50
Seems our American friends are not keeping a good eye on Concorde.

ruck rams Concorde, knocks off its nose in NYC

The Associated Press
Article Launched: 07/08/2008 01:46:19 AM PDT

NEW YORK—An embarrassed museum official says a two-week nose job should reverse the damage a Concorde supersonic jet suffered when a truck rammed it.
The retired Concorde is normally on display at the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum.

http://www.mercurynews.com/weirdnews/ci_9815459

Xeque
8th Jul 2008, 13:34
I think this was covered in these forums a couple of days ago. It looked pretty obvious that some high-sided vehicle had impacted the Concorde nose cone and ripped it off.
What is more worrying is the general state of deterioration with the rest of the airframe. I have seen photographs where parts of the tail are now 'see-through' because of lack of attention.
If, as has been suggested, the aircraft still belongs to British Airways then perhaps the redoubtable Mr Willie Walsh should get off his @rse and do something about it.

luoto
8th Jul 2008, 13:37
Ah, thanks. Did not see it in the fora I am subscribed to.

It has been alarming to hear about the discare the units have got.

411A
8th Jul 2008, 14:49
Perhaps grinding it up for beer cans is a better alternative.

Usually, when a unique aircraft goes out of service, one or two are nicely preserved somewhere, and the others go to the scrap heap.
With Concorde, this apparently is not the case, so it should come as no surprise that the rest are falling to bits.

Taildragger67
8th Jul 2008, 15:02
411A,

Out of a couple of thousand 747s, I can easily think of 4 that are already museum pieces (hull #1 at the MoF in Seattle, the Qantas 742 at Longreach and a 742 and 74L in Sth Africa); I'm sure there are a few more around.

So clearly more than "one or two". There are more than "one or two" 707s scattered around museums as well.

Concorde was a bit special and there were only ever less that 20 airframes made. A number were shunted to museums straight out of test. Being such a special case, it's not surprising that the 11 surviving commercial frames were not scrapped.

The Intrepid people were given (really, lent) -AD under a contract under which they undertook to maintain it to a certain level - which is undoubtedly higher than what is going on.

BA would be within its rights to remove it ('come and get it'), but it would be costly to do so; so the cheaper option is to probably make it good, where it is. Clearly however, with 4 airframes on US soil, the US doesn't value them as others might; so maybe the US should lose one.

I wish there were more than the 3 or 4 flyable Super Connies around. Good on BA and AF for not scrapping their Concs, whatever is the fate of most aircraft.

birrddog
8th Jul 2008, 15:32
I don't know if the Concorde airframe was ever designed to sit on a barge 10 feet above Salt Water (the Hudson River / NY Harbor).

It would be a bloody shame to see that aircraft rot to pieces.

:ugh:

Jumbo744
8th Jul 2008, 15:42
this is disgusting. BA should really take it back now.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
8th Jul 2008, 16:13
Just to get the figures right, 20 flying Concordes were built (plus a couple of accelerated fatigue ground-rig airframes).

6 of these were pre-production machines (3 British, 3 French), and 14 were production Concordes that went into airline service (7 each for BA & AF).

AF lost 2 (Paris, and the one that was scrapped following the Dakar heavy landing). So 7 BA & 5 AF production Concordes have gone into preservation, plus the pre-production ones.

SSD

cwatters
8th Jul 2008, 16:48
First photos here..

CONCORDE SST : LATEST NEWS (http://www.concordesst.com/latestnews.html)

..shows how it was parked with the nose sticking out.

Wijipedia has a list of where all the concords are but I haven' checked to see if it's accurate...

Concorde - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concorde)

BenThere
8th Jul 2008, 17:00
Perhaps the deteriorating Concorde on Manhattan provides a suitable metaphor for the withering British-American alliance.

Why go to the bother of fixing it?

engineer07
8th Jul 2008, 17:09
Concorde in Toulouse

There is one very well preserved ex A-F example here in Toulouse.

411A
8th Jul 2008, 19:59
Hmmm, I would suggest that...as the Concorde was a Brit/French airplane, they should all be preserved in those two respective countries...........or, turned into (small) diners/restaurants.

Skipness One Echo
8th Jul 2008, 20:08
Can I introduce 411A? He's well known, universally disliked and enjoys stirring up pointless controversy to fill he empty hours. Nothing to reply to here. Add him to your ignore list, hundreds, and I am not kidding, already have.

Pugilistic Animus
8th Jul 2008, 21:30
Well, I'd sleep very well as a punter if aboard one of 411A's flights---like him or not he know what he's doing---and---he' tells the very hard truth about aviation---i don't agree with everything but I like to consider what he says and ---as with everyone--I evaluate it against my own pedjudices then conclude whether I agree or disagree---and why!---I never ignore anyone though---that's ignorance:suspect:

PA

Coleman Myers
8th Jul 2008, 21:55
It would be great if one was sent to Bahrain as I think that was the destination of the first commercial flight ?. They would probably look after it really well (probably even give it a hangar !). What a shame its just rotting at the moment.

411A
9th Jul 2008, 00:54
Thanks for your kind words, Pugilistic Animus, however with regard to Concorde, facts should be faced.

Airliners are stored out in the open in the desert for a variety of very good reasons...and certainly one of them is corrosion issues with the airframe.

IF Concorde is to be displayed, it should be indoors and not out in the elements...and especially not close to the ocean.

Put it inside a hangar or other suitable enclosure, where it can be looked after properly and displayed with pride.
The folks who decided on the New York display area should have known better....and this includes the folks who loaned the airplane in the first place.

luoto
9th Jul 2008, 04:03
America lobbied hard to get Concordes for display... a bit ironic considering this treatment and the American administration's attitude to Concorde at the time I guess.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
9th Jul 2008, 07:15
They took away the model of Concorde, which stood proudly at the entrance to the tunnel into Heathrow for many years. It is being replaced with a model of an A380 of a foreign airline. That "British pride" for you - it doesn't exist, at least not in the eyes of the "authorities".

One9iner
9th Jul 2008, 14:19
411A.. There are plently of examples where Concorde's are displayed and maintained to a high standard outside and not kept inside a hanger.

.... If our friends on the other side of the pond don't want her .. then give her back!

VAFFPAX
9th Jul 2008, 14:34
One case being Filton.

:-)

S.

411A
9th Jul 2008, 15:06
.... If our friends on the other side of the pond don't want her .. then give her back!

I suspect all you have to do...is ask.:E

luoto
9th Jul 2008, 17:02
Was it too much to expect the Americans who borrowed it then to be honest, trustworthy and careful of what they borrowed and to have (I presume) followed the agreement vis-a-vis care. Being "forced" to ask for something back to otherwise expect it be looked after shows a degree of arrogance on the side of the loaning party, I submit.

JB007
9th Jul 2008, 22:20
Just Remember... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x93bHA98Pms)