PDA

View Full Version : FSX - recommended joystick

Mickey Kaye
8th Jul 2008, 11:02
I am due to return to flying after a 12 year break. In an effort maximise my navigational awarenees I am in the process of setting up FSX with horizon generation 2 VFR package.

Could anyone recommend a suitable joystick or yoke?

I was thinking of getting the Saitek x-52 Pro but its not that cheap. Ideally I would prefer a setup that just works with FSX when I plug it in. I cant be bothered with reprogramming keyboard commands.

Blues&twos
8th Jul 2008, 17:39
Which O/S are you running? For XP a well tried and tested force -feedback stick is the Microsoft Sidewinder 2 (USB version) - not made any more but there are quite a few available on ebay. I've had one for about 5 years but I don't think they work on Windows Vista though (no drivers?)

Definitely don't pay the £99 some of the sellers are asking - they weren't that expensive when they were new!

Unless you're looking for a new one, a proper lookking yoke or something more sophisticated.

Mickey Kaye
8th Jul 2008, 18:33
Thanks for your reply I am using Vista.

I starting to think that the X52 Pro is a little pricey and there doesn't appear to be any of them cheap on ebay

I am now starting to think that the Saitek Aviator (AVBR) which retails at around 25 quid may be a bit more palatable price wise. Especially if i decided the FSX malarkey is an utter waste of time.

The Many Tentacles
9th Jul 2008, 08:16
I thought the X52 was a bit pricey and got a cheaper joystick first and regretted it.

I ended up with an X52 anyway and am so pleased with it. The only downside is that it has no twist for the rudder, but has two buttons on the back of the throttle control you use instead - once you get used to it - which is very quickly - it becomes second nature. It certainly makes flying helicopters easier.

If you can borrow one for a while, I'd suggest trying it.