PDA

View Full Version : Baron costs and hire

aintboeingaintgoing
8th Jul 2008, 08:45
Hi

I am looking to do my SA CPL and need to hire a Baron to do the multi stuff and the test in, what should I expect to pay PH and is there anyone out there that knows where I can get hold of one for this training!

Thanks in advance for your help

cavortingcheetah
8th Jul 2008, 08:55
:hmm:

If it has to be a Baron and not a Twin Catastrophy, Google up NAC Training at Lanseria. They used to have one, of one sort or another and as they will probably be the most expensive around, you'll have a base line.
You might want to check what the policy is with single yoke Barons for training purposes and also for the testing if you do not already have an SA rating on the aircraft.
A Twin Commanche at FAGC goes out at about R2,000 per hour. These days there is an additional charge for approach and landing fees.
Good luck.

Propellerpilot
8th Jul 2008, 10:37
I had the same issue and got lucky. There is a Baron 58 for hire in Krugersdorp, cost is about R4000/hour including instructor (due to new fuel prices). If you PM me, I can link you up. It's a throw-over yoke.

cavortingcheetah
8th Jul 2008, 14:19

The problem with Krugersdorp, in case the chap doesn't know the are, is that you really have to fly somewhere to do any instrument letdown training. There might be an NDB letdown there but I think that he would have to stump up for the ferry time to and from Lanseria, certainly for any testing purposes and thus for practice as well?
It can often be cheaper to pay more for the aircraft at an airfield at which one can be trained and tested. Just something to bear in mind. Of course, if the Baron is like some of the older ones and the Hobbs only starts reading when the gear is up, well then............:E

eish
8th Jul 2008, 17:58
Try Loutzavia at Wonderboom, Pretoria +27 12 567 6775. They have a dual yoke BE55. Instrument/NDB letdowns available. Cost can be confirmed if you want me to but around R3000 including instructor.

Propellerpilot
8th Jul 2008, 19:51
Cheetah - look on the map: Krugerdorp is in the Lanseria TMA and it takes less than 10min to get there... so you save Landing fees. You can superimpose a VOR or NDB letdown anywhere.

Only problem in the Joburg area, ILS u/s exept at ORT which probably has huge APP fees.

cavortingcheetah
9th Jul 2008, 04:06

Sorry, not mapping equipped at present location. But yes, it wold not in fact take long to get there. However.....

If the FALA ILS is still u/s then there are three other options whcih spring to mind.

FAJS. You will battle to get an ILS practice slot unless you arrange tings during the midnight hours.

Mmabatho/Mafikeng. Can't remember what comes after FA for that. No worries there except that it takes a while to get to. But you can go there with a couple of chaps and just sit and probably hammer the ILS all day long.
Quite pleasant actually, land, refuel, lunch etc. Also gives one the opportunity to fly the NDB approach at Pilansberg, sort of on the way home.

HBV. Some trainers and examiners will superimpose an ILS facility on the HBV. It's workable, especially if the aircraft has a Garmin. You need to keep a jplly good look out though.

Any idea as to when the FALA ILS is really going to come back on line?:)

aintboeingaintgoing
11th Jul 2008, 07:17
Hi

Just like to thank everyone for the help much appreciated

If like me you were needing to do twin flying what twin would you use bearing in mind cost best plane to fly and what in the long term would be most beneficial to flying career (if that would be a option)
:ok:

cavortingcheetah
11th Jul 2008, 08:52

As far as the old cellulars remember, a throw over yoke is not legal when fitted to an aircraft being used in the initial type rating conversion. As you say, I wouldn't sit in the right in such a situation anyway. It certainly does not consitute fully functioing dual controls.

Once the trainee is type rated I would suppose that it is legal enough for advanced training, although I cannot remember whether the ANRs specify dual controls for a safety pilot.
One does actually, sitting in the right, have a pretty good control over the single yoke, especially around the lateral plane, so while the situation is not ideal, in an advanced training context it is probably not dire.:confused:

Propellerpilot
11th Jul 2008, 10:38
Yeah - I had close to 100hrs on type before I did some IF training on that aircraft with the "throwover". However I thought the initial poster was in search of a Baron because he too has the type on his license and did not want to convert to another. If he is doing an initial MEP, there are less costly AC around than a Baron, but he asked specifically for the costs of it.

I think the glideslope at Mafikeng is still u/s, only LOC/APP on offer. I would go somewhere to the coast to fly ILSs. I think Kruger also u/s as far as I've heard. This is Africa ! To be honest, I would recommend anyone from Europe, rather to go to the USA - better infrastructure and good exchange-rate at the moment. I have been stuck at Lanseria for 1.5 months and see the guys around here doing their initials being delayed for months, as there is a shortage of instructors and the ATOs being extreamly disorganized at the cost of their clients - if it were my money, I would have been out of here long time...

Vlamgat
11th Jul 2008, 11:05
Guys for all of you!! There is a new flying school that opened up in Mafikeng/MMabatho, they have barons, 210's and a range of other aircraft, Beautifull Fascilities, and even a Citation Jet if you prefer to do a rating on it. I have worked with them for a long time, They are a reputable company and the DE, Mr. Allan Roebuck is the most helpfull and wonderfull instructor and DE that I have come Across in my 19 years as A pilot, I will never go anywhere else if I need training to be done.

MMabatho has all the fascilities, ILS's Ndb's and there is no traffic or addtional landing and Navigation Charges. You can contact them at

[email protected] .

Mr Alan Roebuck may be contacted directly on 082 558 5191.

Try Them you will be seriously Impressed

:ok:Aginnintonnixadaywillkeepthadoctaaway!!!

mkenya
14th Jul 2008, 23:22
There is a baron 58 at rand airport. Mint condition available for r2300 an hour with the instructor included. Its fitted with dual control yokes.
I am not aware if you can find a better deal anywhere else?
But if its the ideal aircraft to do your initial twin on I leave to the fellows who have flown it before to answer that.
Pm me if you need to be introduced to the owner