PDA

View Full Version : Details on a Papua New Guinea accident.

startingout
8th Jul 2008, 08:37
Hi,

I am just trying to find the details of an accident that happend in the mid 90's in Papua New Guinea involving the death of my uncle Nick Lee, who was i believe piloting the plane at the time. Supposedly the plane had landed and then either ground looped, or flipped with a gust of wind. This is all i have ever been able to get out of my family on what happened but as i have now gotten into aviation as a carreer i have become more interested in the case but unable to find out anything about it.

Thankyou to anyone able to provide me with some information about the accident.
SO :ok:

Zappa
8th Jul 2008, 08:55
If there is an accident in the US, it goes into the NTSB data base which is accessible via the internet. Maybe the authorities in Papua New Guinea have got something simmilar? If it was a big aircraft, the NTSB might even have been involved in the investigation?

Sorry for not being more usefull...

startingout
8th Jul 2008, 09:27
Thanks zappa, I tried to find a version of the NTSB, or our aussie ATSB but with no avail. :ok:

Jabawocky
8th Jul 2008, 10:41
I would think someone here would have an idea, Torres, Chimbuchuckles, Tinpis.........

Someone will know something. Good luck in your search.

J:ok:

The Voice
8th Jul 2008, 12:07
adding Ozexpat to the list of possible luminaries ...

startingout
8th Jul 2008, 12:22
Thanks for that, just got a pm to say he might have some knowledge so will get onto it. Cheers :ok:

forget
8th Jul 2008, 12:38
Do a Google on DHC-6 P2-MBI and DHC-6 P2-MBB

May be what you're looking for.

startingout
8th Jul 2008, 13:04
Thanks, had a look at both but i was pretty sure it was landing and the plane flipped and burnt out, but around that same time period. I'll have a look on that sight :ok:

Edit: Could be totally wrong as i have not really heard hte full story, Thanks for the finds, i will use the take off one for further progress

Spotlight
8th Jul 2008, 20:40
I knew Nick and worked with him for a time. A very decent and capable man.

My memory is not what it could be but I think the accident was at Lae, with a contributing factor being a fog bank on late final. The aircraft was a cabin class piston twin. Either a Piper Chiefton or a Cessna 402.

One of the passengers was a man named Leahy. (a large family with a long PNG history). Again, my memory may be wrong but I think Leahy might have survived the crash.

yerex
8th Jul 2008, 20:50
Mack Lee killed in a suspected CFIT near Kerema in his C402 at that time, another Lee killed at Kairek (Porgera) in Collins & Leahy Pa31 landing in poor vis. George Leahy survived and today runs Oilmin, a large exploration support co. in Mt Hagen with its own aircraft. The latter Lee was a Kiwi I think! Did some journalistic contributions to a NZ aviation magazine.

Spotlight
8th Jul 2008, 21:10
Thanks yerex. Porgera! It must have been the Leahy name that pushed Lae into my memory.

startingout
8th Jul 2008, 21:39
Cheers Spotlight,
Was it just coming out of minima's to late that cause it or were there a few factors involved in it.

yerex
8th Jul 2008, 21:55
No Instrument approach at Kairek. Sits in a basin adjacent the Lagiaip River prone to early morning fog at 7000 foot density altitude, shallow layers wih good vertical visibility but very restricted horizontal visibility say during flare and rollout. No missed approach at Kairek as one way strip with very steep hill as part of southern runway, and the entire basin surrounded by semi circular 11500 foot peaks VERY close to the south. Kingair/DO228 strip only. If I can help any more, I may have an airfield photo and the accident report somewhere!

startingout
8th Jul 2008, 22:04
If possible that would be great to have a look at.

yerex
8th Jul 2008, 22:18
Could take a week or so. I'll get onto it.

tinpis
9th Jul 2008, 01:44
Was it just coming out of minima's to late

:eek:An instrument approach anywhere near Porgera would be something I would gladly pass up....:uhoh::hmm:

Jock p
9th Jul 2008, 04:43
dont quote me but Nick was flying the Collins and Leahy PA31 but was employed by Hevi-Lift. You could call them on 0011 675 5451430 or 5451458 in Mt Hagen and they might still have some details.

there is a memorial plaque to Nick in the Engineers Mess

Tomartos
26th Sep 2012, 09:08
I never met Nick but I did go to school with Joanne Colman who was married to Nick.
I think she is now on the Gold Coast where she lives with her (& Nicks) daughter.
Robert Colman, Joanne's brother works in PNG with Oilmin, the company George Leahy, the only survivor of the crash at Kairek, owns.
Hope this helps?

AussieO2
26th Sep 2012, 21:28
Looks like the Navajo was P2-NGM, accident date listed as 9 DEC 1996. Can anyone confirm ?

tail wheel
27th Sep 2012, 08:52
Aussie, your post two years ago in another thread:

I have P2-AWF listed as ambo, to VH-AFW in 2004. Other PA-31's on P2 - NGM, cr Porgera/Karik, BDL to VH-BDN, CXL to VH-RCV......

That is the accident involving Nick Lee, George Leahy and Bromley's pride and joy, P2-NGM.

I saw George a month or so ago in Australia. He should be easy enough to find and contact in Mt Hagen.

Manubada
27th Sep 2012, 12:38
I delivered part of the eulogy at Mac Lee's funeral in Mt Gravatt in the mid 90's. With appropriate respect, are we talking about the same fellow?

tail wheel
27th Sep 2012, 19:43
No Big Bird, not Mack Lee. Nick Lee who was flying a Piper Chieftain and crashed near Porgera. Totally different accident.

kenzieki00
17th Dec 2013, 02:37
I know what happened that day.. I was supposed to be on the plane.. I knew Nick and all on aboard... and why they where flying into Porgera... If I was there that day this would not have happened!!!..... email me for details... [email protected].. PLEASE!

jomelody402
23rd Jan 2014, 15:46
Hi, I'm Mack and Jo-Anne's daughter. My father pasted away when I was two-years-old and nobody in my family has been able to tell me exactly what happened that day. Any information about my father's death will greatly be appreciated. Thanks

Manubada
24th Jan 2014, 03:23
Hi,

PM sent.

Manu'

Trojanflyer
26th Jan 2015, 11:11
Mac was a good friend of mine, and I was wondering if anyone knew what happened. There was a number of people on board when it happened.

HGU RW
3rd Sep 2015, 22:09
Just to clarify.
People are talking about two different pilots.
Mac Lee and Nick Lee

Nick Lee was the PIC in the Collins and Leahy owned Aircraft P2-NGM.
The aircraft was usually based at Goroka, where at the time CXL head office was located.

I think the aircraft registration was selected at the time after New Guinea Motors. NGM.

I know much on this aircraft, and remember the accident in Dec/96 well.
if you want to know more on this, you can contact me directly.

Only started looking up this information as the only survivor of this accident George passed away 27/08/15

Maisk Rotum
4th Sep 2015, 06:55
Indeed NGM was the corporate workhorse of Niugini Motors, hence the registration. In the 80's it did little flying. It was the only cabin class twin in PNG at the time with an executive interior. Compare it to a Talair 402 and it was pure luxury.

On a different note years ago before his passing Peter 'Sharpie' had published a comprehensive but unofficial record of all aircraft accidents in PNG since records began. I am sure the two Lee's accidents are in there.

tail wheel
4th Sep 2015, 07:29
George Leahy was the sole survivor of Nick Lee's prang at Porgera.

Sadly, George passed away last week.

engmech22
6th Sep 2015, 09:14
he was navigating using a hand held GPS device and entered the in correct co-ordinates, hit a mountain, the co pilot survived.

Duck Pilot
6th Sep 2015, 10:19
No one survived the accident. Mac apparently put the KMA into the GPS for Kerema and ended up at Kemina which is in the hills. Pilot in the right seat was up there looking for a job, he wasn't employed by Mac.

GPS data was recovered from the wreckage. This info come from a very reliable source who was with the AIC at the time.