PDA

View Full Version : AOL - EMAIL

Kestrel
25th Jan 2000, 02:58
As the Airtours Forum Moderator I deal with a fair few emails a day and I'm beginning to build up a pattern, which I'd like to see if anyone else has noticed.

I occasionally get emails back from people, repeating requests. These people clearly haven't received the messages I have sent them. Yet the system has not rejected my mail and has 'claimed' to have delivered the message. Recently a friend also complained that messages sent to another friend were not getting through.

All these recipients have one thing in common .. AOL.

Is anyone else finding this?

------------------
Kestrel
Airtours Pilots Forum Moderator

Cornish Jack
26th Jan 2000, 14:46
How timely ! Was just having a head scratch as to why a reply of mine to the Ant on Flight Testing had been accepted and appeared on my home PC but not on this one at work. Yes, I'm AOL at home. BTW, the Ant's thread shows 2 replies but neither of them are accessible. Any more having the same problem? :

Cornish Jack
27th Jan 2000, 01:54
Back at home and surprise, surprise, my invisible posting on Flight Testing plus a reply from 212man are now both visible. I am now, of course, working through AOL. To quote Uncle Roger WTHIH? Is AOL running a parallel version of Pprune which doesn't interface with the rest of the Net or is their tie-in using some totally different protocol which Pprune can't latch on to? I think I shall go and lie down until I feel stronger ! ! : :

Cornish Jack
27th Jan 2000, 12:15
..and finally.... Back in the office and NOW everything is as it should be, including yesterday's missing posts. Certainly there's something odd happening to input via AOL but in this wonderful world of noughts and ones it's anybody's guess just what ! Time for another lie-down http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

Kestrel
27th Jan 2000, 23:52
Interesting, but is it happenning to anyone else?

I used to be on CompuServe (now an AOL company)and one of the reasons I left them was because of their incompatibity. They seemed almost proud of it in an arrogant sort of way.

Is AOL like that?

[This message has been edited by Kestrel (edited 27 January 2000).]

Cornish Jack
28th Jan 2000, 19:48
Unfortunately I can't make comparisons with other ISPs 'cos my modem steadfastly refuses to allow me to log on with ANYONE ELSE ! I have tried them all - freebies and non-freebies and the only thing it will connect with is AOL. (Hayes Accura 56k external speakerphone upgraded to V90) With AOL 3 which I operate with, it logs on at a reported 57,600 and seems to do all the right things. However there's still this oddity with e-mails to PPrune. Have tried AOL 4 - left me wanting to kill someone 'cos it totalled my set-up and would only log on at 28,300. Had to do a complete format and re-install. With that sort of experience, I wouldn't give AOL 5 house room! If you find some sort of common denominator, apart from AOL, I would be interested. As to their attitude, I had a helpful session with their tech people way back when I couldn't log on anywhere - delete the Navigation history and remove AOL adaptor - but otherwise nothing to report. I feel a gentle internal eyelid inspection coming on. :)

Kestrel
29th Jan 2000, 01:34
The same thing existed with CS. It has an offensive lack of tollerence to any other ISP's software.

One of my previous ISP helplines explained that these progams detect other connections and bvgger them up basically. If I was you I'd bin the whole thing and wipe it and start again with one of the freebees.

I have three at the moment that are totally in harmony with one another sharing IE5 and Outlook Express like angels.

InFinRetirement
30th Jan 2000, 13:37
Interesting thread this! I had all the problems aforesaid many a moon ago. The problem lay with AOL alright. At the time they were trying hard to collar the market - as we all know now they failed miserably.

My advice is get the hell out of AOL and Compuserve, they are still living in the past.

IE5.1 and Outlook Express 5.1 are terrific programs. I never have a problem with either and they offer so much if you set up correctly - but that's no big deal either. Best d/l from Microsoft, so easy.

Another piece of advice, if I may be so bold. I came across a freebie called FREENETNAME. What a blessing, EVERYTHING IS FREE 'cept the phone calls. I mean everything. No charges for tech support, no charge for your own domain name (normally a fortune) no charge for unlimited e-mails, no charge for access to the internet AND their server will log you on at around 45333ps if you have a 56k modem (minimum) - it depends on your phone line. Which BTW you should asked BT (151)- to increase the gain, they know what you mean.

Just go to www.freenetname.co.uk (http://www.freenetname.co.uk) sign up and here is the best bit. When you signed up you will have ALL the necessary settings for your computer are done automatically. IF...you press the right button. Leave it for about 10 minutes and you can use your new line what a great free gift.

I have been with them now for over two months and when you talk to them they are pure gents - or ladies.

Here endeth my best'est advice for today.

[This message has been edited by InFinRetirement (edited 30 January 2000).]

Irish Steve
31st Jan 2000, 22:56
Originally posted by Kestrel:
The same thing existed with CS. It has an offensive lack of tollerence to any other ISP's software.

Used to, but I'm running IE5 and accesssing places like here using CS as the ISP, with no hassles at all. Only thing needed is a specific sign on script to do the original log on, then go anywhere I like

------------------
"Irish" Steve

Feline
31st Jan 2000, 23:09
Yah Well, You ffolks aren't the only ones having problems. Apparently instaling AOL 5.0 changes no less than 229 files on your system and can screw things up so bad that you might need to re-install Windoze ... Check out this article in today's Times:

<http://www.the-times.co.uk/interface/insight/story86.html>

Not Nice, Not Nice at all!

------------------
Feline
(I Sit, I Watch, I Smile)