PDA

View Full Version : ISP in Spain and the UK

Wee Weasley Welshman
21st Jan 2000, 12:35
OK - need an ISP for South West Spain that offers local rate access, pref V90 connection and not mega expensive. Would help if it also worked the same in the UK. Any suggestions - I've started looking but its a complex old business to sort out.

Cheers

xyz
23rd Jan 2000, 12:57
If you tell me where you're going in Spain, I will check if AT&T has a local access number.

xyz

Wee Weasley Welshman
24th Jan 2000, 00:04
Jerez. South West corner, near Port a Santa.

ps thank you very much for this

china_trident
25th Jan 2000, 02:46
www, did you not pursue my suggestion in your last thread on this subject ? I think you'l find that compuserve or IBM and AOL should be able to solve your problem, for this area.

xyz
25th Jan 2000, 10:22
WWW,

Sorry, they (AT&T) don't seem to have one in Jerez.

Wee Weasley Welshman
25th Jan 2000, 12:01
Compuserve have three nodes in Spain so they probably will work. the only thing is I go to the Compuserve site and I can find no way of signing up online or, indeed, what their service or charges are. I may be being thick but I just can't see how I join!

ps thanks for looking for me anyway.

pilot-lite
25th Jan 2000, 16:38
Try http://www.compuserve.co.uk/homepages/try.htm

"The free online time is available during the first month after registration only, subject to our Fair Use Policy (GO UKFAIRUSE). CompuServe membership is open to new members aged 18 or over. Premium Services (these are clearly marked) carry a surcharge and are excluded from the free online time. After your free trial your membership will continue and payments will be charged automatically when they are due unless you decide to cancel your membership. The monthly membership fee after your free trial is £7.50 which gives you unlimited usage of CompuServe. Prices exclude VAT where applicable. For further pricing information GO RATES. You are responsible for the cost of your telephone connection to CompuServe and for supplemental charges for access to CompuServe outside the UK. You can access CompuServe via a local-rate call from anywhere in the UK. A roaming or communication surcharge may apply outside the UK."

You can find the software CD on just about every single UK computer magazine every month.

pilot-lite

[This message has been edited by pilot-lite (edited 25 January 2000).]

Meeb
30th Jan 2000, 02:37
So heading for BAeFT eh WWW? :)

I hear its a beautiful part of Spain, enjoy!

PS Do you know if the individual instructors down there have their own e-mail address? I am trying to catch up with an ex-colleague.

[This message has been edited by Meeb (edited 29 January 2000).]

Wee Weasley Welshman
30th Jan 2000, 04:27
Rumbled! I will know the email setup there in 3 weeks time. I'll let you know.

Cheers,

ps if anyone knows where to source some bulk cheap suntan lotion...

isobar
1st Feb 2000, 05:59
WWW,

Findiing an ISP in Spain is one thing, but assuming you will be using the telephone line to connect to the www (he he...) there is no guarantee that the connection speed allows you to make a decent use of the ISP.

I know of one Instructor in Jerez, who gets extremely low bps on his internet connection. To send off one email it takes him sometimes half an hour.

just something to consider...

regards
Iso

Wee Weasley Welshman
1st Feb 2000, 12:28
Oooh NO!! I can live without a lot of luxuries (hell - living in Wales you learn that lesson young) but a slow connection just is not acceptable.

This is really starting to worry me now...

WX Man
1st Feb 2000, 18:12
What are you doing there, WWW? Instructing? If so I might be seeing you there later this year!

Wee Weasley Welshman
1st Feb 2000, 23:10
Yep. BAE Systems Flight Training School - formerly of Prestwick - is now my new employer. Living just South of Jerez as of two weeks time.

Hope to see you there sometime!

Wee Weasley Welshman
1st Feb 2000, 23:12
WX man - you can share my flash Villa and between us we can afford a twin ISDN pipe straight into PPRuNe!!!