PDA

View Full Version : Ab initio licensed engineer training – FAA

G-SCUD
7th Jul 2008, 21:54
Have searched the forum, but no luck in finding relevant threads, I’m afraid.

My UK-based nephew has decided to up sticks and seek his fortune in the US, specifically training as a licensed engineer (airframes and powerplant) across the pond (Don’t ask why, Pprune doesn’t have the bandwidth…). His current experience is 17 years general hands-on engineering, but in no way aviation-related. He’s 35 years old.

As his aviation uncle, I am supposed to offer sage advice, but must confess a certain degree of ignorance regarding the engineering pathways to licensing. Could any of you more knowledgeable Prooners point me in the direction of (web or otherwise) resources that outline the structure and progression routes for FAA licensing? I wouldn’t want the poor little lad wasting his time and/or money…

He’ll be based in Seattle, so any recommended local training providers would be gratefully received too.

Many thanks in advance all.

SCUD

Mr.Brown
8th Jul 2008, 09:19
This school is in New York (so no help on the school I'm afraid) but the website has alot of info on the A&P course.
Becoming an A&P Mechanic | IA Authorization | American Airman NY (http://www.americanairman.com/)

I stumbled acroos this: hope it helps
Can anyone reccomend an A&P license prep school in the Washington State area? Hoping for a 1-2 week course? - Yahoo! Answers (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071230093722AAf9C3W)

spannersatcx
8th Jul 2008, 11:29
Don't think there is a fotune to be made in the US as an A&P.:eek:

MrMark757
8th Jul 2008, 13:11
Ditto, I talked my son (17) out of following in Dad's footsteps. He's going into robotics.

BigJoeRice
8th Jul 2008, 14:01
The "one - two week" prep course presumes you already have the required 18 months of training/experience required for each license. These courses are designed for airforce types transferring to civvy street, or foreign holders of other national certifications like a CAA A&C who want FAA certs.

I would have to agree with "spannersatcx" that with A&P mechanics getting laid off right left and center as the US airline industry contracts, the short term outlook is bleak - the long term prospect isn't exactly inspiring either.

Even if he get's a job, the salaries are contracting in line with the industry. So even though he'll get to enjoy the smell of burnt jet fuel in the morning, it's because he can only afford an apartment located adjacent to the departure end of the busiest runway at an airport with no curfew.

I too would recommend that if he has an engineering background he'd be better off trying to make it as a toolmaker, machinist, or CAD type because those are areas where at least in Minnesota, they're crying out for applicants.

G-SCUD
8th Jul 2008, 22:41
Many thanks, Pprune chums. I’ll forward the info to my nephew.

All power to Pprune yet again!

SCUD