PDA

View Full Version : Proof The Downturn Is Not So Bad Yet

Adios
7th Jul 2008, 21:05
When the downturn gets really, really bad, there won't be a company or government organization left with any fat to trim. Use this thread to link to news stories that show there is a long way to go before tax revenues or company budgets are put to nothing but good use.

Here are a few to get it started:

UK Government study says "Toddlers who say 'yuck' when given flavorful foreign food may be exhibiting racist behavior": Claim: Kids who say 'yuck' may be racist (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=upiUPI-20080707-122008-1071&show_article=1)

What we spent on that one could have funded an fATPL!

Adios
8th Jul 2008, 22:33
Gordon Brown went to the G8 summit planning to make food waste a major issue only to eat an 18 course meal. Clearly the downturn has a way to go yet before it reaches the top!

World leaders enjoy 18-course banquet... then discuss how to solve global food crisis | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1032909/Summit-thats-hard-swallow--world-leaders-enjoy-18-course-banquet-discuss-solve-global-food-crisis.html)

MIKECR
8th Jul 2008, 22:40
Adios,

Good post! I did have a chuckle to myself lastnight when i saw that one on newsnight. In his withering effort to revert the ecenomy crash, he tells us all to eat less....what a superstar!! Im almost embarrased to say im Scottish....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

AlphaMale
8th Jul 2008, 23:23
But did you see how he got to Japan!!!

Gordon Brown provoked ridicule last night after chartering a luxury jet from America to fly to Japan for a conference discussing global warming.

The Prime Minister was flown on a gas-guzzling Boeing 767 private jet to attend the G8 Summit of world leaders in Hokkaido.

Downing Street’s choice of private hirers – MLW Air in Dallas, Texas – added over 9,000 carbon-emitting air miles to the journey.

MLW Air chief executive Martin Woodall confirmed last night that 767 flew 4,700 miles from Dallas to collect Mr Brown.

After the 12,000 round-trip to the summit it will drop the leader off in London, then have to fly all the way back to Dallas.

The whole exercise is thought to have cost the British taxpayer at least £500,000.

Read in Full (http://www.express.co.uk/printer/view/51387/)

OneIn60rule
9th Jul 2008, 14:30
Don't drive.
Don't eat.
Don't travel.

That seems to be Brown's solution to any problem.

forget
9th Jul 2008, 14:34
Im almost embarrased to say im Scottish....

Don't be shy. Say it. You'll feel better. :)

hollingworthp
9th Jul 2008, 18:12
We have to keep driving - how else is the government going to fund all it's spending without huge stealth (and some not so stealthy) taxes on motorists and hauliers ;)

Adios
9th Jul 2008, 22:26
Let's all take Brown's advice then and put him out of business.

MartinCh
10th Jul 2008, 05:54
that trimming fat argument is complete BS.

Tell that to folks who REALLY starve but Mugabe still lives in luxury..

Yeah. Sad about pretty big jets for couple persons day-trip.
Why can't they hire expensive, but smaller jet? many of the bizjets are capable of flying long-haul or maybe one refuelling stop. whatever.

I'm burning some gallons myself this summer in the US, but then back to the UK.

I'm not ashamed of being in the US although I have opinion about many things in 'foreign policy' and 'local' politics playing World Gods.
The same goes with living in the UK. I may not support the fatcats who spend outrageous money on trivial things they call 'representing the state' or part of their 'duties', but I still live there.

Hey, MIKECR, I'm hoping to fly gliders 8-10 miles from my 'home' airport sometimes this or next month. So that I can put the first dual received entry in my BGA logbook before I'm back to cloudy Belfast where I'll try to fly once a week with UGC.

I've flown mile or two away from the mentioned glideport on my way back from practice area. Nice. Though, many rotary folks I talk to don't seem to like fixed wing much. I'm strange. I just like flying in general. Yeah, I should go and fly solo in Robbie next week.

Adios
10th Jul 2008, 22:20
Did we all miss part of the conversation here or does a gyro need caging?

Adios
19th Jul 2008, 09:44
Click the link below to see a hilarious video produced last week at Al Gore's speech where he said we have only ten years left to completely replace carbon fuels. Clearly the downturn has not reached it's lowest if Gore can afford to put petrol in two Lincoln Town Cars, an SUV and leave one of them idling for 20 minutes with the AC running so Al can ride away in cool luxury.

What makes it even funnier is the soundtrack, Paul Simon's, "You can call me Al," which was written 20 years ago, but you'd think it was written to describe Al Gore.

Breitbart.tv » Gore Arrives for Warming Speech in Entourage of Gas-Guzzling Vehicles (http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=133853)

Call me Al lyrics: PAUL SIMON - YOU CAN CALL ME AL LYRICS (http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/You-Can-Call-Me-Al-lyrics-Paul-Simon/79D1AA14FD5250C54825698A000EF740)

smith
19th Jul 2008, 13:48
Does this fuel price hike etc remind you of "Mad Max" the movie. Can't help thinking of Mel Gibson everytime there's a story about oil on the news.:E

Adios
19th Jul 2008, 14:14
No, but George Bush's finger on the nuclear trigger does! Thankfully, he seems to be listening to the doves right now regarding Iran, as the number 3 man in the state department is meeting Iran's nuclear negotiator in Switzerland this weekend. That bit of news is mainly what dropped oil to $129 this week.

preduk
19th Jul 2008, 14:24
Ha... this reminds me of a story my dad told me.

My dad is a business advisor to a few lords and the government. One day he got an email asking if he would like to attend Al Gore's movie on globe warming in London. It then said that if he was interested he had to phone a number and they would book the taxi to the airport, the flight from Glasgow to London and then another taxi from the airport to the conference centre. There was about 10 people going, so they needed a number of taxis and they had to book flights at different times.

How much of a waste of fuel do you think they required just to get to see the movie about globalwarming??? Could they not have just sent the DVD by post! :ugh::ugh::ugh: