View Full Version : claiming tax back as longhaul crew

queenvic
7th Jul 2008, 15:40
Hi guys

I would like some help pls.

Based at LHR am longhaul crew. Looks like this year I will be out the country for over 6mths of the year in total.

Ive heard we can claim tax back as we are classed as non-resident does anyone know how to do it.

Thank you very much

StaceyF
7th Jul 2008, 19:13
Alas, it isn't that easy.

From HMG's website:

When are you non-resident for UK tax?

You'll be treated as non-resident from the day after you leave the UK if you can show:

you left the UK to go abroad permanently or your absence and full-time work abroad lasts at least the whole tax year
your visits to the UK are less than 183 days in a tax year and average less than 91 days a tax year over a maximum of four consecutive years
The red bit is the UK Government's safety net :mad:

wiggy
8th Jul 2008, 02:07
Firstly to get the easy option out of the way: if you are a UK Citizen, resident in the UK, working out of LHR you are not "classed as non-resident". You are fully resident for tax purposes, time away on trips is irrelevant, so no refunds.

Secondly if you are a UK Citizen who has jumped through all the hoops with HM Revenue and Customs in order to be declared "non-resident for tax purposes" I'd get moving. You need to be out of the UK for a heck of a lot longer than 6 month's simply to retain your status as a non-resident :uhoh: (StacyF's post).

Thirdly (:confused:) if you are not a UK Citizen at all then things may be handled differently so ignore the above. Best bet if still in doubt is to ring HM Revenue and Customs and ask them directly, they are normally pretty good on the phone.

Finally a Health warning: From experience I know a little bit about this :ok: but I'm not a Tax Lawyer or Accountant so in the spirit of pprune I stand by to be corrected/shot down:}..consult your financial advisor/objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear.....you know how it goes :bored: