PDA

View Full Version : Fatal Exception?!?

Arthur
16th Jan 2000, 18:08
Can anyone of you computer literate people shed some light on a problem I am having with my scanner?
It used to work well, but now whenever I attempt to use it, the screen freezes, and CTRL+ALT+DEL is the only way out.
It then tells me that "imaging" is not responding.
The message Fatal Exception in OE has occurred at 0028:FF01A41C in VXD pmxscan(01) + 00001EBC.
As some will guess, this is totally lost on me, any ideas?
The person with the first correct answer gets an introduction to my 19 year old Swedish au pair.

pilot-lite
16th Jan 2000, 18:25
Uninstalling and then re-installing the software is usually a good bet.

pilot-lite

Arthur
16th Jan 2000, 18:51
Tried that...no luck.

Tartan Giant
17th Jan 2000, 05:08
Have you tried,
Start/ Settings / Control Panel / System / Device Manager / Refresh ?

Go through that "refresh" and let the system find all the 'bits' again. Once your mouse 'arrow' can move again is the time to try that scanner.

If you have Win 98 the system should recognise there's a scanner there no matter when you switch on - but Win 95 is not that clever, and needs the scanner on FIRST then the PC to be switched on.
So if you have W95, keep the scanner on, go to Start and select, "restart" and let the thing fire up again - see if that helps.

Arthur
17th Jan 2000, 12:35
Thanks TG
However, still no joy!

stickyb
17th Jan 2000, 15:37
i don't think pmxscan is a standard windows file, therefore my guess is that it came with the scanner.
That being the case, some of the uninstall options don't delete files cleanly.
Try Start->Find->Files to find a file pmxscan*.*, and note where it is.
Then delete your scanner software, and reload your machine.
Repeat the find operations - has the file gone? If it hasn't, try deleting it manually then reinstall your scanner software.

Tartan Giant
17th Jan 2000, 15:53
Oh !
What scan resolution were you trying at the time of the "freeze" ?
Sometimes, depending on the memory available, if the scan setting is too high, your PC can't cope and the thing throws in the towel !
If you can, try selecting the lowest scan resolution available, usualy 200.

If that does not work.....Hmmmmm.

Are you running any other programmes in the background that could possibly interfere with the scanning process - "scandisk" running to a schedule or some anti-virus software kicking in ?

If the thing is still playing silly buggers, then I would,
1. Switch the PC off
2. Switch the scanner off
3. Disconnect scanner from PC
4. Switch on PC and "uninstall" the scanner software.
5. Go through the install scanner set-up, as if this was the first time the PC is to be married to a scanner.
6. If you have followed the scanner introduction 'into' the PC, then if that does not cure the problem, I fear there may have been a power surge that you may or may not have known about that 'screwed' your scanner and it needs to go to the doctors !

Introducing the scanner multi-pin plug or withdrawing it with power "on" in the PC or scanner, or a combination, is enough to cause grief to scanners.

Does it try to scan at all, or is it a case of once you press the scan button it freezes ?

Arthur
17th Jan 2000, 19:23
Thanks chaps, useful advice.
I'll give those ideas a try and let you know!

spannersatcx
17th Jan 2000, 23:32
What type of scanner is it. If a parallel port type using passthrough connector (yuk) these inherently have problems. If it is, go to manufacturers site they may have a work around for you, or even the printers, I know HP do. If it is it is recommended fitting another parallel port, £10. Sorts most problems. uninstalling drivers may not always work. It may also be worth deleting it from your windows device manager, and maybe also the parallel port, let windows install the port drivers before reinstalling the scanner.
Good luck, best thing is to use a USB scanner if you have the ports etc.

Arthur
18th Jan 2000, 14:22
Thanks for all the ideas, I'll give them all a try. Fingers crossed!