PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer

selcal
16th Jan 2000, 12:27
Anybody any idea on how to permanently resize new windows as they open in IE5? Mine has now decided thet a 1" x 4" window is a good size.

pilot-lite
16th Jan 2000, 18:18
Resize the new window to the size you want. Then close it. If you open it again it should be at the size you want. Works for me!

pilot-lite

selcal
23rd Jan 2000, 13:10
Yep, tried that. Closed Explore, re-booted. Finally looked at Microsofts page and got an idea, there is an obscure line in the registry that remembers the position of the new pages so they appear in the same place, so took there advise and deleted it. Back to normal size windows.

Capt Claret
25th Jan 2000, 05:21
Some days ago there were references to IE 5.01.

Can anyone advise if one has to download the whole program (advised from the download site as requiring 6+ hours) or, is there a link to an upgrade? What are the pros and cons of downloading the whole program v an upgrade?

I'm currently running W98, IE5.0 and Outlook Express 5.

Thanks in advance.

------------------
bottums up

[This message has been edited by Capt Claret (edited 25 January 2000).]

spannersatcx
25th Jan 2000, 18:52
Capt Claret, I believe IE 5.5 is about to be or has been released. IMHO wait for this release and get it from a PC magazine cover CD, unless you have free phone calls I wouldn't bother downloading it as it will take an age and there is the possibility or corruption of such large downloadabble files. I personally use Netscape which has a smart update feature which can add enhancements as released, if there is a major change then I go for a cd off a magazine.

clownfish
26th Jan 2000, 04:28
I'm running 5.01 on one machine and 5.5 beta on another. Basically 5.01 is 5.0 with the bugs fixed...and quite a good job too - very stable whereas 5.0 was a joke. I installed 5.01 off a mag cover CD.

IE 5.5 has a print preview feature and is quite stable for a beta...apart from that I can't tell the diff between 5.1 and 5.5.

wings level
27th Jan 2000, 01:53
I have 5.50 installed. A lot more stable than the previous versions, though I have been having fun this last week or so.
See above problem for the start.

Last week I could connect to my ISP (that wonderful program winipcfg.exe will tell you the IP address you are connected to.) however I could not connect to any of the 3 mail servers I use, any website or get ICQ to log on. They basically said I wasn't connected to any of my ISPs. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif This was solved by reloading my win sys and a few other files from a back up. Situation back to normal :)

The latest joy is that my history file has disappeared in to the murky Microsoft blue. Checking the properties tells me that something is there...... Oh well will have to wait till after this weeks sim session...

Anybody know about web browsers for Linux?

BEagle
30th Jan 2000, 22:44
I've just downloaded IE 5.01 - it took about 2 hours!! Of cheap Sunday afternoon time though. Didn't help that the first attempt failed after I lost connection to Virgin Net after 15 minutes. So what differences are there between IE5 and IE5.01?? The connection to my ISP seems more consistent - but is that pure co-incidence??

Ironguts
31st Jan 2000, 13:50
He's my tuppence worth: If you will insist loading critical software (like IE version X.X) as a download/install off the 'web, don't blame me if it turns your PC's operating system into a pile of steaming canine excrement. If you want to upgrade, wait for it to come out on any of the good PC magazines freebee CD's like Spanners or Clownfish do, it's much safer.

I speak from experience.