PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong <-> Tokyo

13Alpha
7th Jul 2008, 13:23
Hi all,

Planning on a trip to Tokyo while I'm in Hong Kong in December and hoping those in the know on this board might be able to give a few tips on choosing a flight. In particular:

- would it be cheaper to book from Hong Kong rather than the UK ?
- Northwest shows as the cheapest flight (around £260) using expedia, anyone flown with them on that route ?
- are there any good, cheap airlines flying direct on that route ?

thanks
13Alpha

FairlieFlyer
8th Jul 2008, 02:37
- would it be cheaper to book from Hong Kong rather than the UK ?
Try zuji.com.hk and compare.

- Northwest shows as the cheapest flight (around £260) using expedia, anyone flown with them on that route ?
From memory this is a codeshare through to SFO and pretty terrible last time I did it. Ancient & rude aircrew

- are there any good, cheap airlines flying direct on that route ?
Not cheap & direct but China Airlines is cheap but goes via Taipei. They have had a colourful history but I guess you get what you pay for and I've always found them very good.

PAXboy
8th Jul 2008, 13:09
The Narita airport shows that Cathay, All Nippon and JAL are on that route. Just get quotes from various websites for December and for immediate travel. This will give some indication of the way in which their fares go up prior to departure - although December will vary.

There may be other carriers from other places in the Tokyo area, the only time I went from Japan to HKG was from the South Island, Kagoshima.

Load Toad
9th Jul 2008, 00:24
Consider looking at flights from Shenzhen and Macau to - dead easy to get to from Hong Kong (hopefully the current dumb visa requirements to China will be lifted after the Olympics) and often cheaper flights.

13Alpha
9th Jul 2008, 23:58
Thanks everyone for all the tips.

Prices in HK$ on HK websites appear to be around 50% cheaper than the same flights quoted in GBP in the UK, so I think I'll either be waiting till I get there or getting some help from my future in-laws who have a HK address :ok:.

cheers
13Alpha

Dan Winterland
10th Jul 2008, 03:55
Any travel agent in HK will find you a good deal quickly and efficiently. They tend to be real travel agents, and unlike the package holiday vendors you find in Europe.