PDA

View Full Version : Netscape 4.6/7

StopStart
15th Jan 2000, 01:58
Help me out here folks. Is anybody else having snags with Netscape 4.6 and 4.7? I've been a life long Netscape user and have never had any problems before. I'm now finding these newer versions are becoming incredibly unstable; I reckon it's crashing about once every other day at the moment. I'm also finding that having closed the progam normally it often continues to linger in the background: CTRL+ALT+DEL doesn't show it as running but things like Norton Utilities and Task Killer programs show it sitting in the background chewing up about 14Mb of RAM.
I've done so many uninstall/reinstalls it's untrue (from different sources too). I'm running it on a PIII 600MHz 256Mb 21Gb HD. Anybody got any ideas for sorting out this program? Please don't make me start using IE.........

Slasher
15th Jan 2000, 10:18
Its probably that idiotic W98 that screws up your Netscape. It does with mine. Try activating your Norton Crashguard. When a screwup occurs hit "Revive". Then hit "Freezecheck". After that hit "close" on the little notice thing then close all Crashguard windows. The thing will work ok from then on.
My Crashgaurd utility helps out when my NS browser crashes in PPRuNe chat.

FL310
15th Jan 2000, 16:24
Heard several problems with people having W98 2nd edition installed.

NS works fine on my machine without 2nd edition

spannersatcx
15th Jan 2000, 17:43
I use Netscape with few problems, what I have experienced is Norton's stuff causes more problems than it fixes. I did have Norton utilities once and it was the route of all evil, once got rid of everything was fine.
I have IE 5 and Netscape 4.7 side by side, only ever use Netscape, if you can use it for long enough without it crashing use smart update to ensure you have the latest bits and bobs.

StopStart
15th Jan 2000, 19:22
Thanks guys. I am running Win 98 Ver2 so maybe that's the problem. I'm also running Norton Crashguard. I'll try binning that and see if it's any better.
Cheers :)

ils747
16th Jan 2000, 06:54
jUST WANTED TO MENTION THAT NETSCAPE 4.7 CAn (oops caps lock) be downloaded free of charge from their website. Use SMART DOWNLOAD, if your line gets cut off, you can pick up where you left off instead of all other again.

Happy downloading.

Blacksheep
16th Jan 2000, 07:20
I've been using Netscape for years and the only time I had a problem was after being "hacked" through mirc. Symptome were just as you describe. I cleared out the trojan, reloaded Win 98 and never had another problem since. Netscape 4.7 is the best yet, I really like it. Take a look at the Hacker Warning on this forum and get the software. You'll be surprised at how often strange people try to get into your computer while you're on-line!

------------------
Info noted. Plse report further.