PDA

View Full Version : HKCAD ATPL Conv. FAA vs JAA

MilPilot
7th Jul 2008, 10:17
which exams do you have to sit to convert an FAA ATPL to a HKCAD ATPL?
Same question just for JAA ATPL.

If you have a FAA ATPL are there any of the JAA exams that you can sit to ease the process before getting to HK or do they just look at wether you have the certificate or not?

Also, I was in the process of taking the JAA exams when I got the good news from CX (On my FAA ATPL). I haven't gotten very far in the process and was wondering if there was any point in finishing. I know you can get an easier conversion (FAA to JAA) if you get 1500h multicrew and do the skiltest in the aircraft in which you are typed (But is it realistic getting to do that in a 747-400 or 777 :p )
It is not very likely I will need the JAA ATPL, but if there was an easy conversion at a later date it would be dumb not to get it)

Is there a way to get a hold of some study materials for the FAA to HKCAD ATPL conversion before I get to HK?

BillytheKid
8th Jul 2008, 02:54
HKG is the CAD, not JAA. If CX hires you, they will coordinate your conversion. The courses you are required to sit will depend on your personal background in aviation. If you are asking about JAA conversions, then I wouldn't know what to tell you.

Good luck

MilPilot
8th Jul 2008, 14:20
HKG is the CAD, not JAA.

I know that :p The question is just as I posted it :ok:

MilPilot
11th Jul 2008, 09:20
Surely somebody knows the answer to some of these questions?

Shep69
11th Jul 2008, 15:01
Once you turn in your paperwork (i.e. copies of your license, etc.) the CAD will send you a letter which describes your license conversion terms. CX will coordinate all of this. This letter will tell you which exams you need to take--you'll get "credit" for some based on your license and have "required" for the others--these are the ones you need to take and will probably be about half (Human Factors, Aviation Law A and B, Loading, Air Frame Systems, Electrics, Performance, etc.). They may send you to Adelade for a week or so for some instruction for the exams depending on your background, or a disk of study material (don't know exactly which). Also, you might be scheduled for a few classes at HKG to prepare you for the exams. In any case, you'll receive information which gets you ready for the tests and I wouldn't study anything until you get the CAD letter and your training plan for the exams. You'll receive your class/exam schedule as part of your induction at CX, then take the exams, pass, and press on to the conversion course. Depending on your flight time in civilian aircraft, you also might be issued a commercial license with upgrade to ATPL after 500 hours in multi crew airplane.

Good Luck !

MilPilot
11th Jul 2008, 15:26
Thanks Shep69, is that from your own experience with a FAA ATPL?

Shep69
11th Jul 2008, 20:04
Yes, check your PM's.

Fac6
12th Jul 2008, 05:08
If you have an FAA ATPL you will have to do far more exams than if you hold a JAA ATPL.

MilPilot
12th Jul 2008, 09:30
Fac6,

I would only be able to complete the written JAA exams before starting at CX. No practical stuff.

Also, I don't know if I would finish them in time so they would be taken into consideration by the HKCAD.

Does anybody know if CX submits the application right after your interview or do they wait until a classdate has been set?

Fac6
12th Jul 2008, 13:10
From what I know it's at your interview. If you have to sit the exams anyway then just do them here in HK with the CAD and go the FAA route.

junior_man
13th Jul 2008, 01:58
I took 4 exams to convert from an FAA ATP. All 4 took less than an hour total to take.
Doesn't exactly seem like "far more" than JAA folks take??