PDA

View Full Version : Bill Gates changes Role ( resigns!!!)

Irish Steve
14th Jan 2000, 03:33
Yes, it's true.

Bill Gates has resigned as CEO of Microsoft, and promoted his No 2 to take over, he's supposedly becoming the chief software architect, or something like that.

The news media are being somewhat less kind, and seeing this as an attempt to try and mitigate the expected damage that might occur as a result of the DOJ finding.

If it leads to cleaner, meaner code that works and doesn't need 3 days and a P3-650 just to boot up, that HAS to be a good thing. :)

Details at ( make sure there's no space in the middle of the line)
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2000/jan00/final25anv.htm

------------------
"Irish" Steve

Ironguts
14th Jan 2000, 15:00
If his past "designing" of the Windows Operating system is anything to go by the B_ugger should be shot!. He "designs" software as if he were designing a Palace for the Sultan of Brunei - approx 1400 rooms of which nobody has been in anymore than a hundred! - "Bloatware" at it's best, thank God for LINUX!!

ils747
14th Jan 2000, 21:33
I smell a rat, he's now taking care of software development and the next few months may be very interesting

Irish Steve
14th Jan 2000, 22:43
Originally posted by ils747:
I smell a rat, he's now taking care of software development and the next few months may be very interesting

Agreed. Win2000, otherwise known as NT5 has to sell well to the commercial world, which is not at all certain at the moment, given the past history of bloatware, and there's the issue of where the home user version of 2000 is going, as that's very unclear.

I've been driven demented over recent weeks trying to make My flight sim system work with 98SE, and I've admitted defeat, it can't and won't, the bottom line is that a working reliable and stable program that runs perfectly in DOS 6.22, (and Win 3.11, as well as the various flavours of Win95 ) is struggling in W98, and can't run at all under 98SE, because they've made the interrupt processing, and other core areas of the thing so bloated.

Ironguts said Thank God for Linux, and I think that he's very close to the truth, I have thought for some time now that Billy boy is getting worried about Linux, I think the next while could be very interesting indeed, as the one thing that's ( thank God) very clear is that Microsoft won't be able or allowed to take over Linux, however much they might want to!