PDA

View Full Version : Firefox addons missing and

G-CPTN
7th Jul 2008, 00:10
A couple of weeks ago I lost my Firefox Addons (specifically the British/English dictionary and the Forecastfox and Downloadhelper but probably others).
This followed an update (I received a message that there was an update available when I started Firefox after a shutdown).
What is more, when I go Tools, Addons the window that opens 'seizes' after highlighting any addon and will not close or respond to any of the instructions.
When I checked the version it was still one of the '2' issues, so I've just downloaded and installed Firefox 3.0, but there is no change to the 'Addon window' situation - I cannot close this window however I try (apart from shutting-down the operating system - Vista Home Premium).

Any ideas?

Keef
7th Jul 2008, 00:57
Oo-er. No.

I've got 2.0.0.14, 3.0 and the "Minefield" nightly versions on here.
The add-ons work fine (I have those same ones) on 2.0.0.14 and 3.0.

Minefield is a different matter - the available ones are much more limited on that, as would be expected.

Have you tried keeping your existing installation and adding a "new" one?
It might be worth trying Gran Paradiso, which is the "almost complete" release - most of the add-ons work fine with that. Certainly, British-English dictionary and ForecastFox do.

Oh - I'm using XP Pro SP2 (I deliberately didn't download SP3, and I'm wary of Vista). It may be a Vista issue, although I'd expect it to have become well known by now if so.

eticket
7th Jul 2008, 07:36
I am on Firefox 2.0.0.15 (Win XP) and some recent add-on updates have not downloaded/installed properly. They usually go in smoothly.

G-CPTN
7th Jul 2008, 09:58
I uninstalled Firefox 3.0 and downloaded 2.0.0.15, but the British/English dictionary doesn't work (and the Add-on window still won't close unless I reboot the O/S).
I've been a long-term Firefox user, but I have moved over to IE in desperation.
Anyone know where Firefox pre 2.0.0.15 can be downloaded?

frostbite
7th Jul 2008, 11:57
Get a copy of Opera and try that. It's been my preferred browser for some time, although I still have FF(3) on my machine and occasionally use it.

Not been desperate enough to use IE for some years!

I have gone one step further than Keef in that I have downloaded SP3 - but not installed it. Good luck with your 'Vista experience' !

G-CPTN
7th Jul 2008, 13:43
On reflection, my troubles (missing dictionary and weather forecasts) dates back to the release of 2.0.0.15.
I managed to find, download and install Firefox 2.0.0.14, and an hour or so later, guess what? I get a message that Firefox has located and downloaded 2.0.0.15, and will install it the next time that Firefox restarts.
There is a message associated with downloading the British English dictionary that points out that it isn't suitable (ie it won't work) with 2.0.0.15.
Mind you, I haven't been able to roll back the Addons to get the dictionary to work with 2.0.0.14 . . . (or the Forecastfox weather thingy - that I found very useful and surprisingly accurate).

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, but now I've got a broken browser!

OverRun
7th Jul 2008, 13:55
Thanks for the heads-up about Firefox 2.0.0.15. I've been lucky enough to have refused it over the last few days.

I've just navigated to /tools options advanced update
and unchecked the 'check for updates'. That should do it.

Keef
7th Jul 2008, 23:34
Strange.

I suppose the "kludge" is to reinstall 2.0.0.14 and turn off automatic updates.

I'm running Firefox v 3.0 (otherwise known as Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008052906 Firefox/3.0 ) and that works fine with Forecastfox and British English Dictionary 1.19 (and many more).

I've also got "Gran Paradiso" running - that's the Beta of 3.1 - and Minefield (the nightly updates). GP is fine with both those plugins. Minefield is ... well, a Minefield but a very interesting one.

The Flying Pram
10th Jul 2008, 16:00
Strange, I've got 2.0.0.15 and the dictionary is still there - it doesn't seem to make any difference though, but it never has! Download Helper still works and has also updated in the last few days. I've seen some reports of Firefox problems whilst I've been battling with Windows Update and Zone Alarm (see other thread), but mercifully that hasn't happened to me.

G-CPTN
7th Aug 2008, 12:41
I'm still without my addons (Firefox states that these will be added next time Firefox starts, but even forcing a restart fails) and trying to add new addons fails with an 'unexpected error'.
I've tried following the instructions at Unable to install themes or extensions - Firefox - MozillaZine Knowledge Base (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_install_themes_or_extensions_-_Firefox#Corrupt_extension_files) but I get bogged-down or find that the locations don't exist.

Does anyone have a simply-worded set of instructions that could restore my add-ons?

Background Noise
7th Aug 2008, 12:54
Slight thread creep - I'm still having minor problems with FF3 that I had sorted out with FF2 (on a mac). Namely, some websites not displaying properly and pdf handling niggles. To 'downgrade' back to ver2, do I have to remove FF3 first - in which case do I lose my settings/favourites etc. I have saved them prior to upgrades but the newer version has always found the old settings - is this the same in reverse?

G-CPTN
7th Aug 2008, 14:10
Navigated to C:\Users\<Windows login/user name>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile folder>. then deleted:- extensions.cache and extensions.rdf
Booted into Firefox Safe Mode (not certain that this did anything) then added an add-on (extension) which prompted a reboot, after which things seem back to 'normal' (ie as/was several weeks ago).
The AppData folder is folder is a hidden folder; to show hidden folders, open a Windows Explorer window and choose "Organize → Folder and Search Options → Folder Options → View (tab) → Show hidden files and folders".

frostbite
7th Aug 2008, 14:29
Here's your chance to bugger it all up again!

Date set for Firefox 3.1 beta - ZDNet.co.uk (http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39457684,00.htm)

Dubwise
11th Mar 2010, 06:50
I had the same type of thing happen after a recent Firefox update. Suddenly I couldn't manage my add-ons (the Add-ons window would always be empty). What's worse, Firefox eventually decided to open this broken Add-ons window every time I launched the app. :ugh:

I fixed this by deleting the following files/folders:

extensions (folder)
extensions.cache
extensions.ini
extensions.rdf
prefs.js

all of these, but I'm just relaying what worked for me.]

Caution: Back up these files before you delete them. Deleting the prefs.js file will reset all your preferences, so you will have to specify your default home page again and specify a few other settings again, but it beats having to start from scratch with a whole new Firefox profile!
:ok:

[Finally, I should add that I'm using Firefox 3.6 on Mac OS X 10.5.8, so results may vary for people with other configurations, although I suspect this solution is universal. Did this work for you? Feedback is welcomed.]