PDA

View Full Version : Need mobile PPRuNe access on the cheap

Wee Weasley Welshman
12th Jan 2000, 12:15
I may soon be spending time in Spain and do not want to take my UK PC out there. If I bought a laptop in the UK what are the power issues and the modem connection issues with regards to using it in Spain? Also I have no idea how you go about getting an ISP in Spain. Any tips welcome. Also any second hand Laptops you are thinking of shifting on for a shiny new one are worth passing under my nose...

pilot-lite
12th Jan 2000, 18:49
Every laptop power supply I've ever come across has been of the auto-sensing variety, and will certainly work in Spain (220V).

As for modems, you can pick up a phone socket adapter for a couple of quid from Maplins.

If you want a cheap laptop, I may be able to help. My mate works in IT for ICI and they are flogging off old Toshibas for about £80 complete with carry case. They are (I think) Pentium 100s with 32Mb RAM. Should be adequate for web browsing, email etc.

For international access check out http://www.ipass.com/partners/isp-partners/europe/

If you're interested drop me an email.

pilot-lite

[This message has been edited by pilot-lite (edited 12 January 2000).]

Wee Weasley Welshman
13th Jan 2000, 12:24
Email on way. Thanks.

Another question. If I took the old PC out there could I safely run it just by plugging it into a socket adaptor?

Cheers,

china_trident
14th Jan 2000, 16:09
Hi WWW,

I carry my laptop all over the globe with me,and have to access my e-mail while on the road in sevral countries, so perhaps I can help a little.

As Pilot-lite states most of the power supply's used on laptops are of the auto-sensing type, but this only a problem in the USA or where there is 110 volts 60 HZ around. Most other countries are 220 50 HZ.

As for internet access you will need an ISP,like you use now. I use compuserve as they have one of the best global access services using local in country numbers. You can access compuserve in most countries using a local number. The only problem here is that compuserve is not free, even in the UK, about £6 per month,with 5 free hours per month.
You will be charged for accessing compuserve outside of the UK about $3-4 hour using what they call a compuserve node. If you are using a third party node, it will be about $6 per month.
There are three compuserve nodes in Spain Barcelona,Madrid and Valencia, the rest use a nodes called Equant/Scitor, this would be the $6 per/mnth charge.

The nice thing about using local numbers is you tend to get a more reliable connection ie faster and cheaper than calling back to your ISP in the uk. Give compuserve a call they are really helpfull ( 0870.6000.800 )

As for the modem I have gone through a number of these and found the Psion 56k+Fax the best. This is using the PCMIA slot in my Tosh. An external one would work ok though.

One final word, the thing that drive's every one nuts, is the European telephone sockets, there seems to be no standard to how they wire these, especially in hotels ( which might not be a problem if you are living out there )most of the time I have to take the hotel phone sockets off the wall and re wire them. There is a company advertising world wide telephone travel adapters, but these are expensive. Perhaps you could go down to the local electrical/telephone shop in Spain or what ever and get one.

best of luck and have fun ....Hope all this helps ?

Wee Weasley Welshman
14th Jan 2000, 21:07
Cheers for that!

WX Man
1st Feb 2000, 18:27
Trident, I'm taking my laptop out to the US. The salesman told me that the power supply was autosensing and would adapt to the US power supply, but was he being economical with the truth in order to make the sale do you reckon?

Also, I'm probably going to set up free access with Altavista- local access number in Lakeland, FL. Do you think there will be any compatibility problems between my Pico PCMCIA 56k Fax Modem and the dial up servers over there?

china_trident
1st Feb 2000, 21:59
WX Man,

Most Laptop Power supplies are auto sensing now days. Ask this salesman you mentioned to show you the power supply, and check the label, if it say's something like this:

INPUT 100V-240V ~ ( then what ever the current rating is for that Laptop) 50-60Hz.

then your OK:

As for the modem I am not familiar with the "PICO" but you mention it's a PCMCIA type which actually plugs in the PCMCIA slot in you Laptop, these are generaly faster as they communicate directly into the PC main board rather than through the serial port.

There are so many manufactures on the market, but there are only two what they call "Chipsets" in all these modem's, that's the Brains of the Modem, so you can't go too wrong if it's new one.
As for Altavista, well, one of the best ……… !

Best of luck