PDA

View Full Version : USA Jet D9F N199US crashed at Saltillo, Mexico

JulietNovemberPapa
6th Jul 2008, 15:28
Crashed at 0115 local time today.

One pilot dead. The other in critical condition.

»Se desploma avión en Ramos Arizpe | Vanguardia: Información con Valor (http://www.vanguardia.com.mx/diario/noticia/masnoticiascoahuila/coahuila/se_desploma_avion_en_ramos_arizpe/189437)

http://www.vanguardia.com.mx/XStatic/vanguardia/images/espanol/xx4.jpg
http://www.vanguardia.com.mx/XStatic/vanguardia/images/espanol/xx1.jpg

Tediek
6th Jul 2008, 17:32
What happened? Did they land on the road? I can't read any Spanish.

readywhenreaching
6th Jul 2008, 17:47
still sketchy, but only one english source right now

JACDEC - Current News (http://www.jacdec.de/news/news.htm)

JulietNovemberPapa
6th Jul 2008, 17:48
From another website:

The DC-9 crashed in a adjacent road called "libramiento" which is a loop that surrounds the southbound border of the airport.

It is amazing because nearby is the highly used Monterrey-Saltillo highway, I just can't imagine what would happen if that road were affected.

According to the newspaper, the crew never checked in with the Saltillo tower, but causes of course are unknown. Saltillo has a single operational runway, it is sourrounded by mountains and it is equipped with an ILS CAT I or II.

Check 6
6th Jul 2008, 23:00
The Captain who was killed was a very experienced 7,000 hour pilot. The first officer was badly burned and is in critical condition but stable at this time.

Please keep the FO in your thoughts and prayers.

Thank you.

kwick
7th Jul 2008, 00:21
USA Jet Airlines Plane Crashes in Mexico; Pilot Dies (Update1)

By Nancy Kercheval and Jens Gould

July 6 (Bloomberg) -- A USA Jet Airlines Inc. cargo plane crashed early today on approach to Mexico's Saltillo Airport, killing the captain and critically injuring the first officer, the U.S. NTSB said.
A team of NTSB investigators was sent to Saltillo to assist the Mexican government in its investigation of the accident, involving the company's DC-9-15 freighter, the agency said in a statement.
The plane was carrying auto parts, Mexico's communications and transportation ministry said in a statement.
The flight departed from Ypsilanti, Michigan, and crashed at about 1:14 a.m. local time, in Saltillo, the capital city of the northeastern state of Coahuila, 240 miles (400 kilometers) south of the Texas border and 56 miles west of Monterrey.
A spokesperson from USA Jet Airlines didn't return a call to Bloomberg News.
USA Jet Airlines, a subsidiary of Belleville, Michigan- based Active Aero Group, owns four DC-09-15 cargo planes among its 20 aircraft, according to the charter company's Web site.
Active Aero Group, a closely held company, provides specialized freight transportation via its subsidiaries, USA Jet Airlines and Active On-Demand.

alf5071h
9th Jul 2008, 01:48
IIRC, the FAA still exempts cargo planes from the requirement to fit EGPWS. The latest versions of the equipment provides very good terrain floor warning coverage close in to the runway.
Thus, if this aircraft was not equipped, and the location of the accident is as reported above, then the crew may have been deprived of a major safety warning system.

MarkerInbound
9th Jul 2008, 03:16
No, 121.354 says nothing about pax or cargo. As of March 29, 2005, no person may operate a tubine powered airplane unless it is equiped with an approved terrain awareness and warning system...

Machaca
13th Jul 2008, 01:01
Video link (http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1648673975?bclid=1452199629&bctid=1659857952)

Wounded plane being wrestled to the ground.

No communication from aircraft during last 10 minutes of flight.

Beaver_Driver
13th Jul 2008, 03:21
Lon McIntosh Memorial Fund (http://www.usajetairlines.com/lon-memorial.htm)

broadreach
17th Jul 2008, 23:28
Nothing new on this sad accident or are people too distracted by Brussels, Bogota and Tegucigalpa? Machaca's link to the horrifying video clip showing the aircraft oscillating wildly begs for conjecture. It seems another minor miracle that at least one person survived.

MiniBusDrvr
26th Jul 2008, 11:51
Does anyone know who the F/O was and what his condition is now?

jumbo Mouse
26th Jul 2008, 14:51
Not at liberty too release F/o's name :=, however you will be pleased to hear he has been moved to a Californian hospital and should make a full recovery, it is said be able to fly another day, if he wants.

non sked
26th Jul 2008, 22:48
Wounded airplane? What was wrong with it? Horrible to watch. It seems that there was a hard left bank (pitch consistant) hard right bank and into the ground. Were they fighting a in-flight situation or did they try to make a dive to the runway and crashed? No flame trying to figure it out.

skysharke
15th May 2009, 20:04
What ever happened with this accident? I tried looking it up on the US ntsb.gov and it is no longer even listed. I wonder what the final conclusion was? Pilot error? Fatigue? Anyone heard anything? Has Mexico released any findings?

Avman
15th May 2009, 21:35
Amazing! Only 14 posts. Where have all the armchair and FS experts got to?
Why does this accident not have over 1000 posts as the others do?

DownIn3Green
16th May 2009, 00:58
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:Been there, done that...Under contract for NAC...No Comment...

Mercenary Pilot
16th May 2009, 11:59
The investigation is being conducted by the Government of Mexico's Direccion de Investigacion de Accidentes e Incidentes. As the state of design and manufacture of the aircraft, the NTSB desingated a U.S. Accredited Representative, under the provisions of ICAO Annex 13, to the Direccion de Investigacion de Accidentes e Incidentes and several technical advisors in the areas of airworthiness, weather, operations, and air traffic control. The Federal Aviation Administration, Boeing, and Pratt & Whitney also traveled with the U.S. Accredited Representative as technical advisors.

All inquiries related to this investigation should be directed to:

Dirección General de Aeronáutica Civil
Secretaría de Comunicaciones y Transportes
Providencia No. 807 — 6° piso
Colonia del Valle
Codigo Postal 03100
México, D.F.
Mexico
Dirección General de Aeronáutica Civil: DGAC (http://dgac.sct.gob.mx/)

As far as I can tell, the website is Spanish only.

vapilot2004
16th May 2009, 18:05
Rumor is they had an uncontained starboard engine failure.
NTSB still has the investigation open.

Dysag
16th May 2009, 19:23
How quaint. The company I worked for stopped using the term Starboard 30 years ago. They thought the words Right and Left were clear enough. Sometimes, though, a drop of Port would come in handy.

vapilot2004
16th May 2009, 22:50
Aye matey.

mini
16th May 2009, 23:31
"DownIn3Green"

":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:Been there, done that...Under contract for NAC...No Comment..."

Comment required, you bothered to post, elaborate or retract. Please inform the ignorant amongst us.

Your "comment" adds sod all value to this thread IMHO.

I'm sick of the armchair innuendo experts. State your case or spare us the bandwidth.

mini, exasperated, feel for the Mods. :sad:

Squawk7777
17th May 2009, 00:37
What ever happened with this accident? I tried looking it up on the US ntsb.gov and it is no longer even listed. I wonder what the final conclusion was? Pilot error? Fatigue? Anyone heard anything? Has Mexico released any findings?

Don't be surprised if information/news dissappears in Mexico. About 5 years ago I saw a crashed US-reg. Lancair in MMAA, which was still listed in the FAA database 4 years later! :uhoh:

DownIn3Green
17th May 2009, 05:18
All I'm saying is I have been there, and done that...and anyone else who has flown for Active Aero knows what I mean...sorry for your ignorance///

Bob_Sacamano
15th Oct 2014, 23:57
I realize it's poor form to revive such an old post, but ran into an old coworker today, which sent me down Memory Lane. I remember when this happened, the Mexicans were saying the plane crashed due to a racial dispute between the pilots. Did this accident report ever get finished?

JammedStab
16th Oct 2014, 02:48
I have read many accident reports from many countries investigators. Mexico is not one of them. I asked a Mexican pilot about this a while back but got no definitive answer for a lack of reports.

J.O.
16th Oct 2014, 11:42
The last time I had dealings with them, I found that Mexico was poorly equipped to conduct a proper investigation. Given that this was a cargo flight, I'm left wondering if there was little onus politically to invest what little they have in an investigation. It's a sad but harsh reality that not all nations are fully invested in safety, even if they are signatories to the ICAO annexes.

aterpster
16th Oct 2014, 13:21
J.O.

The last time I had dealings with them, I found that Mexico was poorly equipped to conduct a proper investigation. Given that this was a cargo flight, I'm left wondering if there was little onus politically to invest what little they have in an investigation. It's a sad but harsh reality that not all nations are fully invested in safety, even if they are signatories to the ICAO annexes.

The overall economy of Mexico is probably better today than it ever has been. The government is also as inept and corrupt as it ever has been.

Where is the accident report on the Lear Jet crash that killed Mexican-American singer Jenni Rivera? That happened almost 2 years ago. (Dec, 2012.)