PDA

View Full Version : 3Com Palm - Heads Up

Feline
12th Jan 2000, 11:46
I have been using rechargeable "Pure Energy" alkaline batteries in my Palm III - maybe this isn't such a bright idea because these batteries go from some volts to no volts very quickly indeed, and it was completely dead the other morning.

No problem, I thought - put in new batteries, hotsync, and all will be well.

It was not at all well: the dead Palm smashed the hotsync program, and it took me a day and a half to resuscitate the device - not even reloading the desktop software sorted the problem out. Anyone else who has this problem can e-mail me direct for advice on how to recover.

On the brighter side, I downloaded and successfully installed upgrades to both the desktop software (from version 3.00 to version 3.04), and the Palm OS (from version 3.00 to version 3.3).

This is a worthwile upgrade - it doubles the speed of hotsync, adds support for the euro symbol (is that useful?) and enables the IR port on the Palm to be used for hotsyncing to a suitably equipped laptop.

It is a free download from <http://www.palm.com> and can be applied to the older Palm 1000 (with 2Mb card), the Palm III, IIIx and the IV (but not to the Palm IIIe which doesn't have flash memory). Well recommended!

------------------
Feline
(I Sit, I Watch, I Smile)