PDA

View Full Version : Only the paranoid survive

moosp
6th Jul 2008, 14:00
So I am sitting in my home in Hong Kong and the phone rings about 6.00 pm. I am busy so we say "let the voicemail take it". As is usual with PCCW after the four or five rings, it stops, then about 30 seconds later gives the two rings to indicate that whoever it was left a message.

An hour later when I checked my message, it was twilight zone stuff. I heard a recording of my conversation in the room where I was seated about five metres from the phone, at the time of the call, and shortly thereafter. My voice and that of the other person had been recorded and logged as a voicemail.

I am aware that there is software around that can do this, but it is usually only available to government agencies.

Should I speak to those nice gentlemen in the black Surburbans on the road opposite or should I speak to crew control? I really think we should be told.

rjmore
6th Jul 2008, 17:43
Does the other person in the room have a bluetooth headset? I've had this where the person accidentally dialed me and didn't know it so our conversation was recorded.

slam525i
6th Jul 2008, 20:58
I would definitely has a word with the gentlemen in the black Suburbans... especially seeing how I've never seen a GMC Suburban in HK. Words such as: "Hey, was it hard to import this? You know a black Suburban in HK isn't exactly discreet huh?"

Rjmore is right though, it's probably just a case of pants pocket dialing.

(or maybe I'm typing this from that white courier van parked downstairs...)

oicur12
7th Jul 2008, 02:12
Does the suburban have Flowers By Irene on the side?

BandH
7th Jul 2008, 06:50
They are criminals............what do you expect? Costs nothing to tap into a few phones. Paranoid? No not really.

moosp
7th Jul 2008, 10:16
rjmore you got it in one. It was a sat upon mobile that dialed the home phone. We found it when we looked through the called numbers. Had me flummoxed for a bit though.

iLuvPX
7th Jul 2008, 12:19
Thats pretty funny Moosp. Guess it would have freaked out anyone at first. Good to see that pprune does help.

Eikonoklastes
8th Jul 2008, 03:22
Perhaps Rjmore has a black suburban .....

rjmore
8th Jul 2008, 05:10
Any ability to see said dialing error through the telescope mounted in the back of a black suburban is purely coincidental. Go on now, nothing to see here.:E