PDA

View Full Version : Star Over London airship

Bravo73
5th Jul 2008, 20:35
Does anyone know anything about the 'Star Over London' airship that is about to start operations out of Damyns Hall?

I saw a little bit in the Evening Standard so had a look at their website. According to their FAQ, there are going to be 5-8 flights a day on 3 different routes until 21st August. The airship will essentially route south of EGLC then west along the Thames. The FAQ says that the airship will be flying at approx 300m (1000ft).

Here's the longest route, which goes as far west as the Houses of Parliament and the London Eye:

Star Over London - LE COURAGE (http://www.staroverlondon.co.uk/index.php?id=10)

How is this going to effect heli operations in the London zone? I imagine that we will have to maintain 3nm radar separation at all times - could be bit of a pain if it strays too close to Battersea. :uhoh: Is it going to be like a slow-moving (30kts cruise) exclusion zone? :confused:

Have you any idea, AlanM?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
5th Jul 2008, 20:43
You can always say "No"!

Bravo73
5th Jul 2008, 20:49
Sorry, I'm being a bit dumb but say 'no' to what?

3nm separation? (Oh, I wish we could...)

nervouspassenger
6th Jul 2008, 10:05
I thought the 3 nm separation was off the lanes only. Visual separation on the lanes. Is that right?

Bravo73
6th Jul 2008, 17:37
np,

Yep that's right.

But remember that there's lots of heli traffic in the zone which doesn't have to follow the lanes.

ATCO Two
10th Jul 2008, 18:24
This operation is contained almost entirely with the London City Control Zone - Class D, therefore visual separation may be applied between aircraft operating under VFR, providing the weather is suitable. 3nm radar separation is only required between aircraft operating under IFR or SVFR. Traffic information on conflicting VFR flights may be given to IFR flights, but separation is only applied if requested by the pilot of the IFR flight. If the airship is following H4, then we can use right side separation, or geographical separation, using the River Thames.

ShyTorque
10th Jul 2008, 18:49
If the airship is following H4, then we can use right side separation, or geographical separation, using the River Thames.

Woohoo! Bring on a strong southerly wind.. :E

Bravo73
10th Jul 2008, 19:16
This operation is contained almost entirely with the London City Control Zone - Class D, therefore visual separation may be applied between aircraft operating under VFR, providing the weather is suitable. 3nm radar separation is only required between aircraft operating under IFR or SVFR. Traffic information on conflicting VFR flights may be given to IFR flights, but separation is only applied if requested by the pilot of the IFR flight. If the airship is following H4, then we can use right side separation, or geographical separation, using the River Thames.

But, ATCO Two, does the airship a)have to follow H4 (because it's a triple, not single, engine) and b)is an airship even an (h)?

And c)route no.3 definitely enters the London Zone, hence SVFR... :confused:

ATCO Two
10th Jul 2008, 22:03
No, the airship does not have to follow H4, in which case visual separation and/or geographical separation (North and South) of the Thames can be applied as appropriate.
Airships have historically used the heliroutes as a convenient way of navigating through the London Control Zone; therefore the rules we apply for separating helicopters can be applied to airships too. And airships are a lot easier to spot when you are passing traffic information.
I beg to differ regarding route 3; as long as the airship does not pass West of Vauxhall Bridge, it remains in the London City Control Zone.

JimBall
11th Jul 2008, 08:44
This is such a great idea - but only in the UK would our definition of romance include getting to Upminster for departure. What with the delights of nearby Barking, Ilford, Basildon and the hinterlands of south Essex - it will truly be a remarkable experience for the passengers.

If it ever flies.

It is company policy not to fly the airship in speeds greater than 25 knots approx 28mph. The airship also does not like rain.

Ermmmmmmmmm. Are they in the right country ? The first 3 days of ops are showing as red lights on the website...........I understand this to mean a weather cancellation. Or is there some other "business" happening over south Essex way ?

ATCO Two
11th Jul 2008, 13:21
Also not exactly a cheap day out, especially with a recession looming.

sss
12th Jul 2008, 12:27
Also not exactly a cheap day out, especially with a recession looming

but how does the price compare to stapleford/redhill helicopter trips over town?

I wonder when the first trip will be? Not this weekend by the looks of it

FairWeatherFlyer
12th Jul 2008, 17:45
Sounds like a nice trip to me, how quiet are these things inside for PAX?

Cheaper alternatives do exist:

BBC NEWS | Americas | US man makes balloon chair trip (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7491841.stm)

good egg
19th Jul 2008, 13:49
Having just been up in the zeppelin I can tell you it's a relatively quiet experience. Most impressed with the manoueverability (spelling?!) of the airship....handles more like a helicopter than a plane....apparantly. If you've got a few squid burning a hole in your pocket then i'd recommend one of the trips. Seats around 12 pax with a couple of windows that you can open to take some great shots out over london.

All i need to find now is a single-man version...would make the commute to work much more civilised...

ianp
20th Jul 2008, 08:36
I think it is a great idea, whichever route it takes. THe odd occasion I do make it into the London routes when it is busy and a grey old day it can be a nightmare trying to see all the traffic buzzing all over the place, wherever this thing goes at least you will be able to see it. Are they going to light it up at night, would be able to see it on goggles from Cornwall.