PDA

View Full Version : RAAF Flight Screening Programme

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16

Skymong
17th Jan 2013, 09:44
Thanks for your reply CSD, just preparing for my Assessment Day, maybe I was being somewhat pedantic....

TSRABECOMING
17th Jan 2013, 10:31
Hi, Until now are there any announcement about pilot selection after new year??

MCW0705
19th Jan 2013, 22:19
RE AVMED. Believe you'll find it's actually done after course in Edinburgh. BFTS wont be sending you to Adelaide in the middle of course. You do a basic AVMED course at BFTS over 2 days as well.

RE Combat Survival. That is all run by the RAAF out of Townsville. Tri service aircrew all do the same course.

Captain Sand Dune
20th Jan 2013, 01:55
BFTS wont be sending you to Adelaide in the middle of course. Yep, good call. Sorry for the duff gen on that one:O
These days AVMED is done after BFTS but before the next phase (2FTS or Oakey). In the good ol' days they waited after course, but nowadays it's a method of marking time while 2FTS/Oakey catch up with what BFTS has sent them.:mad:

Skymong
21st Jan 2013, 03:42
Thank you for the clarification.

Winged Wombat
23rd Jan 2013, 03:49
Skymong,

Nice to see you trying hard to prepare. It will pay off in the long run.:D

Just don't get too hung up on nibbly details.
Have a solid foundation understanding of the basic training pipe line.
Know what an SSO is and how that particular stream is used by Army.
Avoid learning the number of rivets between spars 3 and 4 on the CT4.
Leave that to the instructors...:} That kind of in-depth prep at the application stage will waste a lot of your valuable time and energy.
I doubt that you'll be asked about Avmed to that degree.

Remember; why you're applying is the key.

WW

Winged Wombat
23rd Jan 2013, 03:54
TSRABECOMING,

I would expect the ADF to be screening consistently.
I doubt the new year makes much difference to them.
Get your application in.!

Very Sneaky
23rd Jan 2013, 12:15
Hi, Until now are there any announcement about pilot selection after new year??

According to my enlistment coordinator, RAAF intakes are in January and May (can't help with other services sorry!). Does this answer your question?

Cheers

VS

frappe
24th Jan 2013, 06:20
Hey again guys,

I had my assessment day a month or two ago, and after being classified 3R on the medical, I have just now handed in the medical reports saying I'm practically fine. Does anyone know how long roughly AVMED take to approve the reports? They were for spirometry and ECG if it makes any difference.

Thanks for any help

Winged Wombat
24th Jan 2013, 23:25
Frappe,

It's a good question and not easily answered.
Avmed have to deal with numerous assessments across a wide variety of avmend related issues and their workload is very high.
Couple this with typically low levels of manpower and you can imagine that some assessments could take weeks.
Your best bet is to sit tight for a month and wait to see what happens.
After a month I'd head into the recruitment centre and ask some questions. Be gentle though!

frappe
25th Jan 2013, 22:28
W.W,

Cheers for the response. Haha you're right, I should've known better than to expect an easy answer when it comes to DFR :P No worries though, I'm in no particular rush.

Winged Wombat
30th Jan 2013, 00:51
No problems, happy to help.

Have you done any flying? powered, Gliding etc?

frappe
30th Jan 2013, 03:16
I've done 1 hour in a glider and 1 in a simulator, and plan on doing the Red Baron ADF cram course as soon as I can save up the funds.

That reminds me, do the guys at FSP count simulator hours as flying experience?

Aviator24
30th Jan 2013, 04:41
G'day Guys,

"Long time reader first time poster"

I have a quick question for you guys. I sat flight screening in 2009 and i achieved an 8/9. On my board i got knocked back as they "want to see me study" and that i have "huge potential" since then I've complete TAFE and a Uni course in aviation. They gave a guy an offer with a 3/9 as he had a 100 UAI at the time. I have always wanted to be a RAAF pilot and the desire is something i just cant shake, as I'm sure is common amongst all of you. I wondering what to do, they said back then, all i had to do is sit the board but i rang up the other day and told me that i have to do the whole lot again which i really don't want to do since i was in the top band and i know they want to see improvement.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Aviator24
30th Jan 2013, 04:46
G'day Guys,

"Long time reader first time poster"

I have a quick question for you guys. I sat flight screening in 2009 and i achieved an 8/9. On my board i got knocked back as they "want to see me study" and that i have "huge potential" since then I've complete TAFE and a Uni course in aviation. They gave a guy an offer with a 3/9 as he had a 100 UAI at the time. I have always wanted to be a RAAF pilot and the desire is something i just cant shake, as I'm sure is common amongst all of you. I wondering what to do, they said back then, all i had to do is sit the board but i rang up the other day and told me that i have to do the whole lot again which i really don't want to do since i was in the top band and i know they want to see improvement.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Skymong
30th Jan 2013, 07:16
Frappe,

I doubt it has much effect in your case as it is only an hour; it may show an interest in aviation but shouldn't have any effect on which group you are put in for flight screening. If you had a few hundred hours on a sim then maybe they would put you in the advanced group.

No doubt there is someone here who can give you the official line on it.

finestkind
30th Jan 2013, 10:34
A24. To the best of my knowledge you do not have to do the whole thing again.

Please explain your 8/9.

If you were applying for ADFA than a good UAI would be preferred but must admit I have never heard of a 100 UAI.

ryano
30th Jan 2013, 12:15
A24,

It's a pretty easy equation mate:

a. Walk through the door + do what Recruiting says = a pretty good chance of a jersey

or

b. Walk away + give up = nothing

Whether you re-do all of it or just parts will be dictated by current policy and your local recruiting office will be a good place to start. When people say that "motivation" is a big factor, this is exactly what they're talking about.

Winged Wombat
30th Jan 2013, 21:02
A24

What does 8/9 and 3/9 mean?:confused:

A UAI of 100 would be extremely rare and I can assure you that those who can achieve a UAI of that level will probably make a very poor pilot. I suggest that the folk at the PSA know this too, so don't be dismayed if your UAI is between 7O - 99. As long as you've applied yourself to study you'll be fine.

As I've said to others on this thread; avoid getting too focussed on one area. Cover all bases with a sound performance and knowledge level.

Ryano's comments are spot on. If you're motivated at the right level, you'll do what ever's required to achieve your aim.:ok:

Zulk
2nd Feb 2013, 08:39
They're the final scores awarded to candidates after all of the scores from their sorties have been tallied. That number is then used in conjunction with other numbers and recommendations to determine competitiveness and subsequent offers. 9/9 is the best and 1/9 the worst. It's allegedly a gauge of how well you can do on course but because it's only taken from a short 2 week snippet it does not provide full assurance.

TSRABECOMING
2nd Feb 2013, 20:41
According to my enlistment coordinator, RAAF intakes are in January and May (can't help with other services sorry!). Does this answer your question?

Cheers

VS
Thank you. So we need to wait until May.
TS

finestkind
3rd Feb 2013, 06:41
A24 are you there??

I am uncertain just what you are after if anything.

You are talking about the Stanine. If you are an 8 and did not get a nod you must have trod on your proverbial very hard. I doubt very much if a 3 would get a nod and it’s not an offer, just a recommendation.

Skymong
4th Feb 2013, 05:49
Right guys, I have been attempting to organise a visit to the local RAAF base, on contacting the base I was informed that I would have to arrange it through my case manager (?), although this has not yet been successful.

Has anyone else successfully arranged a visit to a base and if so was it via the Defence Careers Office or a contact at the base?

In the meantime I will continue to try the Defence Careers Office.....

RegularJoe
4th Feb 2013, 06:40
Has anyone else successfully arranged a visit to a base

Yes. I found a helpful likeminded individual who was happy to chat on the phone and then organised a base vist for me.

You'll have to find someone in your chosen role. Perhaps check out your local heritage centre, or speak to someone in uniform at DFR or recruitment seminar.

Deebeedoo
5th Feb 2013, 11:29
Hey folks,

I applied for Direct Entry Pilot early last year which resulted in a 12 month wait as I didn't pass Assessment Day (though he only applied it for officer entry, and he encouraged me to go for a general entry position if I wished). I was going for ACO in the beginning as top preference with Pilot being my third (I was always interested in being a Pilot, but all I knew was how competitive it was and before I did further research and found out that it wasn't so unrealistic to gain entry).

I completed my Aircrew testing and came out as one of the four to succeed out of the 10 (2 applying for Pilot, Myself for ACO, and one who I believe was going for ATC, though I could be wrong). When my Case Manager contacted me in regards to my results, he suggested that I should change my preferences to Pilot being first, ACO being second, and removing my general entry application, which I did. Knowing that my motivation was going to be a very important component to be assessed, this change of preferences was a glaringly big weakness when it came to my interviews. I did a few hours flying and studied this site (and others) in the time between my YOU session and Assessment Day, but I imagine it was too little, too late.

Anyway, I got through my psych without any problems and I felt as though I managed to talk my way through most of the issues in the interview, but it quite basically boiled down to a lack of management experience. Although he didn't state it, I also believe motivation was a let down (I previously dropped out of university years ago. Primarily because my current work gave far better opportunities in the time I would have spent studying to complete my degree. I explained it in detail and he was convinced. It wasn't ideal but he was content with the circumstances.)

I'll be reapplying very soon, and in that time I've picked up a management position at my workplace (20~ I'm directly responsible for, 130~ employees at our location, 200,000+ nationwide), a Cert IV in Frontline Management and Cert IV in Training & Assessment (both paid by myself), and plan to continue on to a Diploma in Management.

Realistically, would this work well for me and get me through to Flight Screening? My interviewer stated that my lack of management experience was basically what let me down and although my knowledge and experience in other areas were good (and he stated that the results from my aircrew assessment made me very competitive), he said both he and I would get chewed up by the OSB if they got an applicant going for a direct entry officer position who had no management experience.

Could I hazard a guess that direct entry candidates are held to a different (not higher or lower) standard than ADFA applicants?

Thanks in advance guys, and good luck to any future applicants.

Winged Wombat
6th Feb 2013, 00:05
DBD,

You're on the right track buddy.
Listen to what the interviewer's tell you and address your weaknesses.
Common sense really.

If you're in charge of 130 or so people, then that's an EXCELLENT start.:ok:

ADFA and DE are assessed differently and for good reason. An ADFA candidate is generally still in year 12 and thus has not had the opportunity to gain general life experience such as that you're getting now. As such the interview board is likely to pay less attention to those kinds of issues. Each applicant is an individual and considered on a case by case basis. Thus you're all running your own race really. Be grateful for the feedback the DI/Psych gave you and use this wisely to maximise your performance next time.

Deebeedoo
6th Feb 2013, 08:31
Thanks Winged Wombat.

I accepted the fact I didn't exactly have what it took to be selected at that particular time and it was more of a point of curiosity to see where I stood (but I still gave it a good go and was very surprised with how far I got.) The latter part of the interview where it came quite obvious that it would be the end of the road for this attempt, I shifted to asking him what were the issues and how I could rectify them. They were very helpful and I was very pleased with the outcome.

That's what I thought in regards to the difference between ADFA and DE. I imagine it's a bit of a bummer that I'm not degree qualified, but I imagine my practical experience and knowledge can pull me through. Though, I imagine if I was pressured to seek a degree level qualification that I could seek RPL's with my prior qualifications towards a Bachelor of Business... I explained to my interviewer that I was aware of higher education opportunities through Open University so I imagine that would be a reason why it didn't come up... or they were saving that to drill me at OSB, hahah.

Winged Wombat
6th Mar 2013, 02:58
Where did A24 go?

finestkind
6th Mar 2013, 07:00
WW

Very possibly a good indication of why he was not given the nod;)

stoneley44
7th Mar 2013, 04:56
Hey guys,

After a 4 week delay due to a minor medical issue my file's been sent off to PSA. Anybody currently waiting for a slot at flight screening or have a rough idea of how long it might take? How long's a piece of string seems to be the general guideline.. The chap who did my assessment day interview seemed to think those who have flying experience get streamed off first... Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers

Very Sneaky
7th Mar 2013, 06:34
Hey guys,

After a 4 week delay due to a minor medical issue my file's been sent off to PSA. Anybody currently waiting for a slot at flight screening or have a rough idea of how long it might take? How long's a piece of string seems to be the general guideline.. The chap who did my assessment day interview seemed to think those who have flying experience get streamed off first... Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers

Gday stoneley,

We're in a similar boat it seems! I've just handed all my medical results off to DFR to have my medical status determined and awaiting a response before my file is sent to PSA.

My understanding is that PSA select candidates from the top of the list of recommended applicants to fill each individual course, where a candidates rank is determined by a number of criteria (of which flight motivation is one) and qualitative comments by your defence interviewer. Flight experience indicates motivation so it is probably desirable to have this (but doesn't necessarily infer any advantage at FSP or during training), however motivation can also be expressed in other ways so it is not the be-all and end-all. Your name will remain in the pool for 12 months or until your rank falls within range of selection and you are sent a letter of acceptance to FSP.

Your enlistment coordinator should be able to confirm your competitiveness in relation to other candidates and where you sit on the list (I'm pretty sure anyway), short of this I've heard of people calling PSA directly to find out.

Hope this helped!

Cheers,

VS

Skymong
7th Mar 2013, 07:33
Hey Stoneley,

I have also had my file sent to PSA recently. As VS said, the time taken for them to send you a letter of invitation depends on how high they rank you.

My enlistment coordinator said that I would probably hear from the PSA before she did, so I suggest you call the RAAF switchboard on 1300 333 362 and ask them to connect you to PSA where you can ask them how your file is doing.

Hopefully see you and VS at Tamworth soon!

Winged Wombat
8th Mar 2013, 01:36
Stoneley,

VS has summarised it very nicely. There's probably not much you can do now but wait and hope that you become competitive to be invited to the FSP.

Don't waste your time though. Start preparing for the Officer Selection Board. Procrastination is never rewarded in this game and as I say, "You make your own luck" through hard work, a determined approach and detailed preparation.

WW

ATP9
10th Mar 2013, 06:16
Hi guys,

I'm also currently in a similar situation to a few of you. Just passed my assessment day for RAAF pilot and engineer- and now been reccommended for the Flight Screening Board and also OSB for engineer. I'm currently in yr 12 and want to got ADFA. I haven't had any flight experience though - is that really going to be an issue?
If anyone's got any tips for either, they'd be greatly appreciated :)
Also if anyone knows to get in contact with a RAAF pilot or aersopace engineer, or if there are any on this thread willing to talk to me that'd be great :)

Very Sneaky
10th Mar 2013, 09:22
Hi guys,

I'm also currently in a similar situation to a few of you. Just passed my assessment day for RAAF pilot and engineer- and now been reccommended for the Flight Screening Board and also OSB for engineer. I'm currently in yr 12 and want to got ADFA. I haven't had any flight experience though - is that really going to be an issue?
If anyone's got any tips for either, they'd be greatly appreciated
Also if anyone knows to get in contact with a RAAF pilot or aersopace engineer, or if there are any on this thread willing to talk to me that'd be great

Hi ATP,

You'll find the answer to flight experience in my previous post directed to stonely44. As for tips, I recommend reading through this thread in its entirety. I understand it is a long thread, but it is filled with tips, advice and experiences from people who have taught on FSP and BFTS, as well as people who have been through the process and been both successful and unsuccessful.

I see you're from NSW... did you get a chance to go to Avalon for the airshow last weekend? It would have been a perfect opportunity to have a chat to a few pilots as well as engineers with the trade exhibition on, and (if memory serves correctly) a lot of engineers are based at Point Cook. If not, I'm sure there a few people on these forums who would be willing to point you in the right direction :)

Cheers

VS

DEANSTEIN
10th Mar 2013, 09:48
Anyone got onto the 28th april FSP?

Skymong
10th Mar 2013, 23:52
I'm assuming you did? Out of interest how long ago did PSA receive your file?

ATP9
11th Mar 2013, 05:37
Thanks Very Sneaky, I live on the south coast which is quite a fair way from Avalon and Point Cook. My nearest Air Force base is in Williamtown which is 4hrs away :/ Yeah i've had a bit of a read of the thread and the info's all really great but also from a few years ago, i was just trying to get advice from those who have really recently gone through the process (wasn't sure if anything has changed much or not). Trying to get in touch with people is hard for me, being where i am, which is why i'm trying this thread

Skymong
11th Mar 2013, 11:48
Hey ATP9, give Williamtown a call and ask to arrange a base visit, they will tell you to organise it through your enlistment coordinator. Ask then for the email to send the application to and make a note of the name of the person you speak to. That way you can give this information to your enlistment coordinator without them turning around and saying that they dont have a contact at the base. You should be able to get a visit organised pretty easily, and get a chance to talk to some pilots.

ATP9
11th Mar 2013, 19:21
Thanks heaps, i'll give that a try. Also does anyone know what the extra medical tests for pilot entails??
Again - big thanks to you guys for helping me out here

Very Sneaky
12th Mar 2013, 03:07
Thanks heaps, i'll give that a try. Also does anyone know what the extra medical tests for pilot entails??
Again - big thanks to you guys for helping me out here
As in post FSP? If i recall correctly they do a dental check and a blood test.. I have a feeling I'm forgetting something though.

Resolute_
12th Mar 2013, 03:26
Hi Guys,

I'm interested in joining the RAAF and will apply within the month. What would my chances of applying for pilot be? I'm 32 and I don't have a degree. Is this a requirement? Or is there a way you can prove you skill and dedication to the job without such qualification?

Regards

ATP9
12th Mar 2013, 07:13
No, as in before FSP (I think). They told me on my assesment day that they did all the tests they could and I was class 3M which as good as I could be, but that I had extra tests I had to do for pilot at a later stage...

stoneley44
13th Mar 2013, 03:34
Quite sure there is a rather intensive eye check in there too! It's interesting how this doesn't occur before flight screening. I guess it must cost DF a bit.

Ps thanks for the great replies.

ATP9
13th Mar 2013, 05:14
Thanks guys. yeah i contacted my DFR and the lady said they do the tests post Flight Screening because of the cost.

Millichamp1
14th Mar 2013, 08:06
Hi Resolute,

This is taken straight from pilot career info on the DFR website:
"...preferred maximum age on entry to ADFA is 24.5 years so that candidates will not be more than 27.5 years of age on commencement of pilot training. Applicants older than 27.5 years of age may be considered for selection if they demonstrate significant potential for Air Force Pilot training."

I would assume you would have to score exceptionally well at the YOU session and really impress at Assessment to even be considered for flight screening. In terms of showing dedication to the job I’m sure they would want to know current/previous employment and flight motivation (i.e have you done any flying). It's likely that DFR staff would discourage your application due to your age, however nothing’s impossible if you want it badly enough. Keep in mind the IMPS for RAAF pilots is 13.5 years, so you’ll be over 45 years of age before you can even leave.

Captain Sand Dune
31st Mar 2013, 21:43
I wouldn't say don't fly rotary wing, however remember you will have to do about 220 hours of fixed wing training before you start on rotary wing in the ADF system.
Get yourself about 15 hours on fixed wing. It's also a helluva lot cheaper than paying for helicopter time!

jonesb101
1st Apr 2013, 12:17
Hey guys,

I am currently going through the process of becoming an ADF pilot, and and last week i got the call to attend Flight screening on the 11th of May. I was wondering if anyone can give me some good tips on how to fully prepare for not only Flight screening board but also the Officer selection board? i am a bit lost at the moment and any help would be much appreciated, Cheers.

jonesb101
1st Apr 2013, 12:34
Mate i am on the 11th of may one, so i might see you there

frappe
2nd Apr 2013, 04:57
Hey jonesb101,

If you haven't done so already, go back and read this entire thread (maybe from here back, some of the earlier stuff might be a bit outdated). There's an enormous amount of helpful information in here about everything to do with the whole process. If you've got any specific questions feel free to message me and I'll see if I can help.

Winged Wombat
3rd Apr 2013, 03:41
Jonesb101,

Rule #1 - Get motivated. Read the thread in it's entirety. There are no easy answers or easy roads to becoming a pilot with defence.
Rule #2 - See rule #1

m0ridin
4th Apr 2013, 04:21
Phew! Just finished reading all 121 pages of this thread, warts and all. It has been very informative and a fresh source of motivation and encouragement.

I am currently at the business end of the application process, having passed the YOU session, Pilot Aptitude Testing and the Assessment Day. I am thankful to say that my experiences with DFR thus far have been very good, having managed to avoid any of the nightmarish experiences recounted in this thread.

A little about me: I am in my mid twenties, and have recently finished a five year double degree.. Although I have wanted to fly from a much earlier time, due to several personal reasons I did not solidify my decision to join the ADF until about halfway through my degree, although I resolved to finish my degree before applying.

I have done about 8 hours of powered flight, although due to constraints on money my recency is lacking. I am contemplating a Red Baron flight if i get offered a FSP place.

I applied in November last year and sat the YOU Session in December. I sat the Pilot Aptitude testing in January. Information regarding the content of these two tests are largely contained in this thread and are for the most part accurate. I don’t think I did especially well at the speed maths, and at the lunchtime break I was sure that I had failed. The coordination testing was extremely tiring for me, mainly because I was so intent on doing my best that every muscle was tensed for the whole duration of the tests (Probably something I should work on for FSP); however I managed to pass.

I had my assessment day in February. Both the psych and defence interviews took less that twenty minutes and I was recommended by my interviewer. I did get questioned on my motivation and was asked why I completed a largely irrelevant degree instead of applying sooner, however the late application did not appear to be a major concern. One thing that did throw me was I was asked to stand and deliver a one minute speech on a topic I admittedly forgot to study in detail. Usually I have no problem with public speaking, however lacking any knowledge on the topic and having only the interviewer to focus on, rather that a group, I was thrown (especially when the interviewer keep making strange facial expressions).

The last two months have been spent trying to clear up medical issues raised by defence. The most problematic being a small glitch in the hearing of one ear. Hopefully I will have the specialists report in the next two weeks clearing me of any restrictions. From there I assume a waiver will have to be applied for as I will be Aviation hearing class 2.

I am hopeful that I can get everything sorted and make one of the DEO FSP courses in May, although this may be optimistic.

Just a question to anyone reading this thread that may be in the know. How many rounds of RAAF offers are there during the year, when are they and what are the cut off dates for FSP courses that feed into them.

At this stage I am optimistic about my chances, although after reading this thread and talking to several pilots at various levels within the RAAF, I am in no way complacent, both about the competitiveness of the FSP and the amount of work involved if I am successful.

I just want to get up to Tamworth and test my mettle!

\End of Essay

Winged Wombat
5th Apr 2013, 02:14
M0ridin,

"Just a question to anyone reading this thread that may be in the know. How many rounds of RAAF offers are there during the year, when are they and what are the cut off dates for FSP courses that feed into them."

In my humble understanding, the system works as such:

The FSP courses don't necessarily feed into a particular pilot's course.
The folks at PSA constantly assess applicants throughout the year and those who are successful feed into a block of other successful applicants. When the time comes, the best applicants in the block are selected to fill the course. Army and Navy are fed from the same block.

In terms of RAAF offers, surely the recruitment people can answer that question?

I have been out of the defence flying game for some time now but I can tell you that you are in for a wonderful experience. The training is the best you'll get, the operational flying is something you can't get anywhere else and will set you up for alternative flying careers as you age.......we all get old.

Hope the hearing test goes well with you and good luck.

Very Sneaky
5th Apr 2013, 02:44
Phew! Just finished reading all 121 pages of this thread, warts and all. It has been very informative and a fresh source of motivation and encouragement.

I am currently at the business end of the application process, having passed the YOU session, Pilot Aptitude Testing and the Assessment Day. I am thankful to say that my experiences with DFR thus far have been very good, having managed to avoid any of the nightmarish experiences recounted in this thread.

A little about me: I am in my mid twenties, and have recently finished a five year double degree.. Although I have wanted to fly from a much earlier time, due to several personal reasons I did not solidify my decision to join the ADF until about halfway through my degree, although I resolved to finish my degree before applying.

I have done about 8 hours of powered flight, although due to constraints on money my recency is lacking. I am contemplating a Red Baron flight if i get offered a FSP place.

I applied in November last year and sat the YOU Session in December. I sat the Pilot Aptitude testing in January. Information regarding the content of these two tests are largely contained in this thread and are for the most part accurate. I don’t think I did especially well at the speed maths, and at the lunchtime break I was sure that I had failed. The coordination testing was extremely tiring for me, mainly because I was so intent on doing my best that every muscle was tensed for the whole duration of the tests (Probably something I should work on for FSP); however I managed to pass.

I had my assessment day in February. Both the psych and defence interviews took less that twenty minutes and I was recommended by my interviewer. I did get questioned on my motivation and was asked why I completed a largely irrelevant degree instead of applying sooner, however the late application did not appear to be a major concern. One thing that did throw me was I was asked to stand and deliver a one minute speech on a topic I admittedly forgot to study in detail. Usually I have no problem with public speaking, however lacking any knowledge on the topic and having only the interviewer to focus on, rather that a group, I was thrown (especially when the interviewer keep making strange facial expressions).

The last two months have been spent trying to clear up medical issues raised by defence. The most problematic being a small glitch in the hearing of one ear. Hopefully I will have the specialists report in the next two weeks clearing me of any restrictions. From there I assume a waiver will have to be applied for as I will be Aviation hearing class 2.

I am hopeful that I can get everything sorted and make one of the DEO FSP courses in May, although this may be optimistic.

Just a question to anyone reading this thread that may be in the know. How many rounds of RAAF offers are there during the year, when are they and what are the cut off dates for FSP courses that feed into them.

At this stage I am optimistic about my chances, although after reading this thread and talking to several pilots at various levels within the RAAF, I am in no way complacent, both about the competitiveness of the FSP and the amount of work involved if I am successful.

I just want to get up to Tamworth and test my mettle!

\End of Essay

Looks like we may be in almost identical boats mate! All the best with the ear testing; I'm currently awaiting a decision from DFR as well... I was told I'd receive a verdict in 8-10 business days... 5 weeks and a follow up phone call later and I still haven't received one haha; hopefully you don't have to wait as long as I have!

The FSP courses don't necessarily feed into a particular pilot's course.
The folks at PSA constantly assess applicants throughout the year and those who are successful feed into a block of other successful applicants. When the time comes, the best applicants in the block are selected to fill the course. Army and Navy are fed from the same block.

RE: this. According to my enlistment coordinator there there are two intakes for RAAF enlistment per year; one in January and one in May. If you aren't accepted to the first you are obviously eligible for the second as you remain in the post-FSP pool for 12 months.. I'm not sure about the other services though. I don't know of any specific cut off dates for any specific intake, but the impression I got was that if there was one it would be very close to the selection date, as my case manager was trying to get me onto an april course for may selection

ATP9
5th Apr 2013, 19:57
Pilot Selection Agency Flight Screening Program Schedule - Royal Australian Air Force (http://www.airforce.gov.au/Our_People/Careers/Becoming_a_Pilot/Pilot_Selection_Agency/Flight_Screening_Program_Schedule/?RAAF-e9g2z8vIikaumcv6ylDo1q9luRRCcBKo)
Hey guys, this is a link to the flight screening program posted by the RAAF - As far as i'm aware, the DEO/ADFA RAAF candidates are assessed with the other force candidates as well

bowers123
7th Apr 2013, 06:24
Hello everyone, I have just finished reading through this thread and I would just like to thank everyone for the wealth of information that is on here, it has been so very helpful; however, I do have one question that I could not find the answer too. I am heading down to Tamworth for flight screening in May, and in the letter I was sent an e-mail which told me, among other things, that I would be receiving a "Flying Induction Brief" upon my arrival. Can anyone who has recently been through FSB tell me what this is? Also, would it be helpful to learn the flight manual/specifications of the CT4-B before the course?

Thank you all very much

bowers123

BoxBoxCheez
9th Apr 2013, 04:29
B123,

In the absence of others posts I'll add my 2c, but it's old gouge.

I believe the flying induction brief will cover the basics to get you started on how operations at Tamworth work, from receiving the mass brief, to jumping in the aircraft, through to debriefing. They'll most likely cover the basics first to get you started, say, medium level turning, stalls, and circuits, then in later briefs will build you up to aeros and spinning.

I wouldn't bother with learning the flight manual, save that for BFTS if you get there. Flight screening is about showing your potential to learn, not quizzing you on the aqua planing speeds of the CT4. You'd be better off getting your head into current news and operations in the world and rehearsing your punch lines on why you want to be an ADF pilot.

Again, all old gouge, and course may have changed by now. Good luck!

rthomas821
9th Apr 2013, 05:14
Hi all,

Had my YOU session last Thursday. In my mind I wasn't completely confident of my Maths (been out of school for about 14 years now), had a nice surprise and scored highly enough to apply for SSO Pilot.

Originally from the UK, had to get equivalency of quals done. Year 11 is the score so will have to sit Year 12 to be able to continue my application.

No big deal, this is what I want to do in life, I will damn sure make it happen, do what I need to do to get there. Already have the course lined up at CIT in Bruce to get it done in approx 1 year. Bit of a downer at first, but hey, I get to up skill my qualifications leading to my potential military flying career. Win Win for me I think.

ryano
9th Apr 2013, 09:16
I second the above comments. You'll be given all the material you require and you'll be given ample time to study it. There is zero points for knowing more, and it could well be more trouble than you think it's worth. Getting a hold of documents like that could very easily raise some integrity questions that you just don't want. If you were supposed to have it, it would be given to you, but also to everyone else. If you have something that others don't have, regardless of whether or not it'd help you, you're opening a can of worms best left closed.

If you go back through to around page 111 or so, you'll see "Markoshark" was carrying on about people having access to material prior to Flight Screening. His arguments were completely unfounded and ill informed, but you will see the opinions of the wise old heads that relate to this sort of stuff.

You are much better off preparing for the final phase of testing by being across current affairs and getting what ever life skills and experience you can. This is your one shot - having your head in the books when you don't need to is not the answer. Make yourself as competitive as you can, but competitive in the right way. Knowing the CT4 Flight Manual for Flight Screening is akin to knowing how to solve a Rubik's cube in less than 30 seconds - great party trick, s*** for everything else.

Blackbird14
10th Apr 2013, 07:45
Hi all,

Had my YOU session last Thursday. In my mind I wasn't completely confident of my Maths (been out of school for about 14 years now), had a nice surprise and scored highly enough to apply for SSO Pilot.

Originally from the UK, had to get equivalency of quals done. Year 11 is the score so will have to sit Year 12 to be able to continue my application.

No big deal, this is what I want to do in life, I will damn sure make it happen, do what I need to do to get there. Already have the course lined up at CIT in Bruce to get it done in approx 1 year. Bit of a downer at first, but hey, I get to up skill my qualifications leading to my potential military flying career. Win Win for me I think.

Well done mate, and keep at it! Maintain that attitude and don't take no for an answer. Good luck for the remainder of your testing.

Cheers,

SR71

Frag
16th Apr 2013, 07:18
Dear All,

Thank you all so much for providing your input that has allowed so many readers to build up their knowledge regarding the ADF selection process. Despite that there are 122 pages worth of posts I would just like to make sure that the picture I have painted for myself regarding the DFR is accurate. Furthermore I have a few questions relating to my personal situation of which I have not been able to find many examples off on the internet and would just like to seek some input/advice from individuals whom have recently been or are currently in the selection process or of coarse are in the RAAF themselves. My ambition is to join up with the ADF as a direct entry officer with the pilot position being my number 1 preference. Thank you in advance for your time.

I sat the general YOU session on the 21st of March 2013. The session went really well, a lot of the information provided on the internet was accurate regarding preparation for the general aptitude testing and also the mathematical testing. I did not finish both tests as I had about 70 of the 75 questions complete on the general aptitude test and around 3 or 4 questions on the maths test where I had absolutely no clue what the answer was. After all the testing was complete I had a brief talk with the medical examiner regarding my medical questionnaire and a brief colour perception test, all passed without a fuss however I still need to get my BMI down but it’s proving to be a bit more difficult than I thought. I am 193cm tall and have a BMI of 31.2, I understand full well that you have to have a BMI of 29.9 and below 105KG to qualify for a pilot role however my years playing rugby and rowing have given me a bit of a bigger frame then most but I will do my best to get her down. After the brief medical examination I was called into the office with the careers counsellor. He provided me with a single A4 sheet of paper with a listing of all the jobs I had qualified for based on the initial aptitude tests. Luckily a lot was available so of course I immediately decided upon following the path of Pilot in the ADF (RAAF preferably).

I have a second YOU session scheduled for the 19th of April 2013 for the “advanced assessment” I believe it’s called. I understand that there will be more general aptitude questions, memory, mathematical, physics, hand eye co-ordination and accuracy testing, however I just wanted to know if the general aptitude and maths test this time round will be of the same standard as the first one or higher? I just want to make sure that on top of the preparation already done I am not missing anything major. I have a few other questions regarding my real life experience but I feel that is more applicable for the Assessment Day and Office Selection Board so I will address those accordingly if I were to progress of course (fingers crossed!). Basically my question boils down to have any of you done the “advanced assessment” for the YOU session lately and what was your experience therein? I am just about to head out to a RAAF information session at DFR so looking to soak up some more knowledge there.

Thank you kindly in advance for reading what would be a lengthy post but seeing as I have read 122 pages worth of posts this is small fry in comparison to some J. Looking forward to hearing from you with your responses.

Kind Regards,

Frag

Arm out the window
17th Apr 2013, 05:32
The BMI thing has long been a vexed issue, as an unfit skinny person can breeze through where a well-muscled footy player can struggle. I know of one bloke in particular who played schoolboy rugby union for Australia who had to do all kinds of silly things, like dehydrate himself, to jump through the hoops.

One thing to keep in mind if you're trying to get your weight down is to avoid faddy diets etc, because you might find it plays havoc with your blood cholesterol etc. A balanced low kilojoule approach and aerobic fat burning exercise would probably be the go.

You may just have to pretend to be a supermodel for a while and eat a lettuce leaf a day! Good luck.

JRIW
17th Apr 2013, 07:54
I would also like to send out my thanks to the many contributors of this thread which provided me excellent reading material for the past 3 stages (YOU session, additional testing and finally assessment day).

After having my assessment day around 5 weeks ago, and then my medical reports sent one week after, this week I finally got cleared medical 3M (which I assume is changed to a 1 once you pass the dentist and eye checks after Flight Screening etc).

I now get to endure the 'fun' period of time waiting for PSA to ring me to organise a flight screening course :)

cj0203
18th Apr 2013, 04:01
Be aware now all those pursuing RAAF pilot it just got a lot more competitive. BFTS itself for RAAFies is now basically a 6 month FSP. The need for jet pilots means now that if your RAAF and successfully pass BFTS, you're placed once again in a pool for 2FTS and only the top will get a spot at Pearce. Those not selected - tough luck amigos, JBAC or ACO are for you.

Very Sneaky
18th Apr 2013, 14:24
Be aware now all those pursuing RAAF pilot it just got a lot more competitive. BFTS itself for RAAFies is now basically a 6 month FSP. The need for jet pilots means now that if your RAAF and successfully pass BFTS, you're placed once again in a pool for 2FTS and only the top will get a spot at Pearce. Those not selected - tough luck amigos, JBAC or ACO are for you.
Oh wow. That's a massive change. I'm not sure I see how this increases the recruitment of 'jet' caliber pilots... I'd have thought having the wider range of selection would've been more desirable.

Is this applicable for pilots who elect to go down a jet 'stream', or is it applicable to all pilots? Just wondering how it affects pilots aiming to fly aircraft in other roles i.e. air lift or bizjets

Skymong
18th Apr 2013, 15:41
I guess its designed to filter out the weaker trainees, ones who look like they might scrape the grade for multi-engine streaming but would probably not make it for fast jet.

Skymong
18th Apr 2013, 15:44
Off on a tangent; anyone have an idea how long you are likely to wait for specialist medical checks after FSP these days? Assuming you pass.....

Captain Sand Dune
18th Apr 2013, 21:49
You may just have to pretend to be a supermodel for a while and eat a lettuce leaf a day! Good luck.
We can't all be super-fit racing ferrets such as yourself mate!:E

Captain Sand Dune
18th Apr 2013, 22:03
Oh wow. That's a massive change. I'm not sure I see how this increases the recruitment of 'jet' caliber pilots... I'd have thought having the wider range of selection would've been more desirable.

Is this applicable for pilots who elect to go down a jet 'stream', or is it applicable to all pilots? Just wondering how it affects pilots aiming to fly aircraft in other roles i.e. air lift or bizjets

This policy is applicable to all RAAF pilots. The fast jet world is hurting for numbers. The non-FJ units are over-stocked with pilots. The reasons why are another argument altogether.
It's basically supply and demand. It's their train set, so they recruit and man as they see fit. Personally I reckon there's better ways to go about it, but apparently the opinion of a 28+ years pilot doesn't count for much. :mad:

I guess one way around it is to say you want to go FJ, fail the course and get posted to where you want to go anyway!. One word of advice though, don't tell them you want to fly "bizjets" (I assume you mean VIP). The RAAF wants combat aviators, not airline pilots.

Very Sneaky
19th Apr 2013, 03:51
This policy is applicable to all RAAF pilots. The fast jet world is hurting for numbers. The non-FJ units are over-stocked with pilots. The reasons why are another argument altogether.
It's basically supply and demand. It's their train set, so they recruit and man as they see fit. Personally I reckon there's better ways to go about it, but apparently the opinion of a 28+ years pilot doesn't count for much.

I guess one way around it is to say you want to go FJ, fail the course and get posted to where you want to go anyway!. One word of advice though, don't tell them you want to fly "bizjets" (I assume you mean VIP). The RAAF wants combat aviators, not airline pilots.

Thanks for the clarification CSD, that's helpful. I am personally aiming for fast jets, but I was curious about the other roles and I know it would be relevant for others on here so I asked the question. I guess it's just another hurdle in a string of many to jump over... if that's what it takes then bring it on :ok:

Arm out the window
19th Apr 2013, 11:16
We can't all be super-fit racing ferrets such as yourself mate!

I mentioned the lettuce leaf for illustrative purposes only - the only time it'd grace my plate would be in the middle of a big greasy hamburger!

mostlysedated
21st Apr 2013, 10:27
Captain Sand Dune.

Can you help.

So if I want to fly C17's I should say i want to fly fast jet when I do the officer selection board

Captain Sand Dune
22nd Apr 2013, 08:33
My previous remark about deliberately failing a FJ conversion was tongue in cheek. Honesty is the best policy. Nothing wrong about wanting to fly a C17. It sees more combat than our fighters do! (dons helmet, dives into trench and awaits incoming :E)

BoxBoxCheez
22nd Apr 2013, 13:18
Mostlysedated,

Tell them what you want to fly, and be able to justify it.

For example, 'I want to fly C17 so I can takeoff, have a coffee, watch a computer, then wait 5 hours before I get to turn the computer off and fly again'

:E

finestkind
23rd Apr 2013, 08:31
Ohhh CSD

what a short memory you have. It was only a very recent event when the fighter fraternity were involved in air to air combat. A mere 60 to 61 years ago?

BBC

Yeah but at least its 5 hours going somewhere, doing what the aircraft is designed for and being able to take a leak beats the piddle pack

joeboxhead
24th Apr 2013, 04:05
hey guys, I am just after a few peoples opinion in terms of when i should start my application process.
Due to a few personal reasons over the past couple of months ive put on roughly 20kg. I am currently 102kg and my weight before was around 78-80kg. I was just wondering if i should wait until I am back down to my old weight before I apply or if it would be somewhat beneficial to start the process now so the DFR can see my commitment to my weight loss? I was originally leaning towards waiting it out but after reading through this thread it seems like proven commitment is a big thing in the eyes of the OSB, so if they can see my commitment to my health will this be seen as a good thing or as a bad thing for letting myself get into bad shape as it is.
Also another question I was involved in a quite violent armed robbery (gunpoint) which caused me to have roughly two months off work as the doctors and psychologists pumped me full of drugs and tried to see if I was developing PTSD. I am now 100% better and truly believe the experience has prepared me to how life may turn out in the ADF if I end up in a warzone. I am worried that they will just throw my application out the window because of this incident. My medical record will say I suffered from anxiety due to the incident but that only lasted for a few weeks after and I now have no problems with anxiety. Can anyone who has heard of a similar situation put my mind to rest?
Cheers

finestkind
29th Apr 2013, 21:53
Joe.

Given the "Very senior RAN officer" thread you may well be in for an interesting time.

josephfeatherweight
30th Apr 2013, 06:35
My medical record will say I suffered from anxiety due to the incident but that only lasted for a few weeks after and I now have no problems with anxiety. Can anyone who has heard of a similar situation put my mind to rest?
Sounds like you're suffering from anxiety? (Tongue in cheek, mate.)
Ok, re your weight. You need to lose weight for your own health, not to impress the board and convince them that you are committed/motivated.
Unlike many of my (occasionally drunk) mates, I don't believe that Defence Force Recruiting subscribe to the philosophy of "fatties need lovin' too"...
Walk in the door the first time in the right frame of mind, and in good health, and you'll stand a better chance. Re your medical record - I'm pretty sure they only know about what you tell them - your integrity would ensure you answered their questions honestly, but I'm pretty sure they don't get your medical records.

joeboxhead
1st May 2013, 09:43
Thanks for the replies.
I am losing weight for myself not for the board I just don't want to be thrown in the unmotivated pile if I show up to DFR overweight. Ive started my training regime now and have since lost 3kgs so all is going well on that path.
I read earlier in this thread about getting kicked off flight school (if i make it that far) if they found out you don't fully disclose your medical history. I was just thinking of getting reports off of my doctor and psychologist stating that I no longer suffer from anxiety before I have my YOU session just to make sure.
Ive set a goal to have my YOU session before July where I am aiming for my weight to be back down to around 80kg so in the meantime I will be working my ass off in the gym and studying up on everything I have learnt from this great thread.

Very Sneaky
2nd May 2013, 00:30
Thanks for the replies.
I am losing weight for myself not for the board I just don't want to be thrown in the unmotivated pile if I show up to DFR overweight. Ive started my training regime now and have since lost 3kgs so all is going well on that path.
I read earlier in this thread about getting kicked off flight school (if i make it that far) if they found out you don't fully disclose your medical history. I was just thinking of getting reports off of my doctor and psychologist stating that I no longer suffer from anxiety before I have my YOU session just to make sure.
Ive set a goal to have my YOU session before July where I am aiming for my weight to be back down to around 80kg so in the meantime I will be working my ass off in the gym and studying up on everything I have learnt from this great thread.

Hey joe,

When I had my medical interview (at assessment day) the doctor was curious about why I had submitted asthma challenge test results so early and he said it had raised a few flags/made it a case of interest and asked why I had done so... I guess they were suspicious that my pre-empting the process without being directed to meant I had something to hide. It was easily explained and it made the process faster, but it might be something to consider if you're thinking about going in day 1 with your medical certificates in hand.

Cheers

VS

cotta464
6th May 2013, 03:58
Hey Guys,

I've heard conflicting statements on the 6 minutes maths test pass mark. Does anyone know of how many you actually need to get correct? Also what are the multiple choice answers like in comparison to each other (close or within a range that you can tell after doing some working out)?

Cheers

Cotta

septerra
7th May 2013, 11:56
Hello all

If any of you forum lurkers have completed the OSB only appointments that they now slot with the regular FSP groups, could you please drop me a PM.

I'm just curious as to how this affects your OSB activities. The last time I was there, it was an equal footing for all of us, since we all had a good understanding of one another's personalities and strengths, giving a good group synergy. As an OSB only candidate and joining a FSP group, I am worried that as an 'outsider' to the group, the dynamics changes quite considerably and may affect my performance.

Anyway, if any of you are interested in sharing some wisdom, please feel free to drop in a reply or a PM.

Regards
Sep

bowers123
9th May 2013, 13:13
Hello everyone, I am off to flight screening very soon, and I am feeling prepared, however I do have one main concern. I am applying for RAAF DEO pilot, and this is mainly because I am extremely passionate about flying and would not want to go to ADFA for 4 years before going to BFTS; however, I am only 17. Will this be a problem for the OSB? i.e will they frown upon this?

Winged Wombat
13th May 2013, 04:29
Septerra,

I'm very confident that the guys at PSA will take your concerns into account. That would make sense to me.

On the other side of the coin, remember that this will be your second experience at the OSB so you actually have an advantage over the others because you've been there before.:O

Make sure you make use of your previous experience. Prepare well, tell the truth and try to enjoy yourself.

WW

Fair skies
18th May 2013, 00:46
G'day all,

I've just finished sifting through the last 122 pages and have found it very informative indeed.

I am currently booked in for aptitude/ psych testing in the near future and feel slightly more at ease after reading through all of the previous posts so I appreciate everyone's perspective and guidance. I especially appreciate the occasional "gems" of gouge from the in service members.

Regards.

FlyingCharlie01
19th May 2013, 00:52
I am 15 and want to be a pilot. i am a girl who is really short. i am worried that i will not make the height. will they still take me at 160cm ?

average marks:
English B+
maths A
science A+

(those marks are with no study, i can study to achieve marks quite naturally)

Skymong
20th May 2013, 01:42
Hi FlyingCharlie01- defencejobs.gov has the information on height requirements for a Class 1 medical : Additional Requirements | Pilot - Defence Jobs Australia (http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/airforce/jobs/Pilot/AdditionalRequirements/?entryTypeId=8)

They state a minimum height of 163 cm is required, that said I know several people who were told their sitting height was too tall to apply for Army, yet they are now wearing DPU flightsuits.

My advice is to start studying to get the best grades you can, play some team sports, join Cadets or Volunteer Fire Service and look at getting some leadership experience.

Very Sneaky
20th May 2013, 03:24
Hi FlyingCharlie01- defencejobs.gov has the information on height requirements for a Class 1 medical : Additional Requirements | Pilot - Defence Jobs Australia

They state a minimum height of 163 cm is required, that said I know several people who were told their sitting height was too tall to apply for Army, yet they are now wearing DPU flightsuits.

My advice is to start studying to get the best grades you can, play some team sports, join Cadets or Volunteer Fire Service and look at getting some leadership experience.

This is good advice. From my impression, the selection board are looking for people who apply themselves, not just people who have the aptitude, so starting to study and getting the best grades you can now would be a good way to start.

RE: Height - depending on how badly they want you, they can make a waiver for slight variations from the height requirements.. Whether or not 3 cm is within the acceptable limits however is another question, and one you won't likely find out until you go through the process.

To give you an example, my sitting height is 95.6 cm, 0.6cm more than the maximum for ARA, however my enlistment coordinator has told me that this shouldn't be an issue if I'm competitive enough at FSP.

FlyingCharlie01
20th May 2013, 07:27
Thanks all for your replies.
I have mid year exams coming up so I will sure to study hard for them. Right now I have played a good 6 different team sport and still playing 1 for club and the other 5 through school. I have been the captain of these teams on may occasions and I still am for hockey and soccer. I cox the first four in rowing which I think will help me with quick decision making and leadership skills. I have been SRC twice so far and I was one of the prefects (if you wish to call them that) in year 6.

I also have a question and I was wondering if any of you could answer it, or give me advice for this.

Should I join the Cadets (for the RAAF)?
I have been looking at joining for a while now and havent been able to find reviews on if it is good or not (I need this for my parents. I am all for it, they just want to see if it is going to be beneficial)

Thanks once again,
FlyingCharlie

Skymong
20th May 2013, 08:19
Sounds like you are well on your way to getting a good grounding in leadership experience!

As for Cadets, I would say absolutely. They will give you a taste of what life is like in the forces and basic skills which should help when you start Initial Officer Training.

Putting the effort in now to develop your leadership skills and gain life experience will pay off massively a few years down the line.

BBadanov
20th May 2013, 09:59
FC01,

Yes, go for the AF Cadets. Good GSK training, leadership, see if you like the discipline. You will get in almost 3 years, 15 to 17-18. You may qualify for a Flying Scholarship, if they still have them.

Good luck.

FlyingCharlie01
20th May 2013, 10:12
Thankyou.
I have already taken a flying lesson and he was very impressed on my knowledge of the plane, laws of flight, effects of controls and handling of the aircraft. It was in a piper warrior. He let me take-off and line up for the landing even though it was only my first time behind the controls of a plane, that is how much faith he had in my knowledge. My school offers aviation next year so hopefully i will be able to give it a go.

septerra
26th May 2013, 22:14
Cheers Winged Wombat

I guess I just needed assurance and words of encouragement before I went in. There is also the fear that I could possibly be setting the precedent for something that may never have happened before in FSP history, i.e. passing it the first time around but failing it the next. :\

Anyway, its coming up soon and I'll let you guys know how it goes in a few weeks time.

Regards

cotta464
2nd Jun 2013, 06:11
Hey all,

Just completed my specialist testing, if any one has any questions or anything about preparing for it feel free to PM me.

Cotta

Winged Wombat
25th Jun 2013, 02:25
Septerra,

How did you go?:confused:

WW

Very Sneaky
26th Jun 2013, 08:24
Just got offered a spot on course for the beginning of August. Can't wait! Will definitely be having another read through this thread between now and then.

frappe
27th Jun 2013, 00:44
VS,

Do you mean you got offered an FSP spot or an OTS spot?

Very Sneaky
27th Jun 2013, 01:57
VS,

Do you mean you got offered an FSP spot or an OTS spot?

haha sorry, just an FSP spot! Is anyone else going around that time?

FlyingCharlie01
27th Jun 2013, 02:37
I was thinking of going the cadets program. do you think it will be beneficial?

neopowered34
1st Jul 2013, 05:40
Hey guys

New to the forums, have my Aircrew Specific Testing next monday, very nervous. Can anyone confirm if there's any questions regarding converting miles to km, or nm to km etc?

Geoff

High Caliber
1st Jul 2013, 08:04
Hi everyone, I have just completed my YOU session successfully and have been booked into pilot specific aptitude testing. Anyone know what this entails

BoxBoxCheez
1st Jul 2013, 09:22
Neopowered,
No, there shouldn't be any conversion as you mention. More speed, distance, time.

High Calibre,
A thorough reading of this thread would answer all your questions, plus more.

Very Sneaky
4th Jul 2013, 15:33
If its an ongoing issue I would imagine it would exclude you, and yes you should disclose it. Imagine going through basic training and putting your back out, then they find out and you'll never get another chance because you were dishonest.

I had a hernia removed when I was 2 and it wasn't an issue, but I'm not sure what criteria was used in that decision. I would imagine if you can get it fixed and you can have a specialist give you the all clear then it shouldn't be too much of an issue, but only an AVMed doctor could tell you exactly the variables and likelihoods are.

silvia85
5th Jul 2013, 06:44
Hi Everyone.

Just saw this thread and remembered the help I received here a few years back in getting in. Its basically the same process and testing/interviews although they seem to be a lot more fast jet specific ATM.

I passed all the testing and interviews, flight screening and scored very competitively and basically got taken in on the next intake. I'm happy to take PMs and share some knowledge to people who are serious about trying to get in.

PM me with any specific queries you may have and I'll try respond

Very Sneaky
5th Jul 2013, 11:43
I don't get any pain and doctors wont operate unless its a serious case. 60% of hiatal hernias dont have any symptoms. I'll inform them about it

Hopefully my chiropracter can work some magic. btw i had a class 1 medical from casa, maybe that can change their minds

Well, like I said AVMed are the only ones who can give you a definitive answer. I hope it goes well for you!

Chang Driver
6th Jul 2013, 00:18
Hi all,

I’ve been a long time reader and having just gone through from start to finish of this thread I must say what an amazing resource. A massive thank you goes out and is certainly owed to all the contributors.

A bit about myself, I'm 26 (nearly 27) and am applying for DEO for the RAAF. Late in 2009 I went through the process, making it through to assessment day but I was turned away at that point for 6 months with my lack of recent team sports being cited as a major factor. To be honest I also believe my motivation was questioned as at that point I was 23 and I had not taken any steps towards powered flight training and although I did have 20 gliding hours, my Psych interviewer was very adamant that if I was as passionate about flying as I was making out to be I would have done more about it.

I didn’t return after 6 months as I moved overseas mid-2010 and upon returning I was accepted to start a Bachelor of Aviation beginning 2011. Fast forward to now and I'm very soon to graduate from that and also a Graduate Diploma in Aviation. I have my CPL + MECIR and ~ 350 hours with quite a bit of aerobatics under my belt. The burning desire for a career in the RAAF is stronger than ever and I'm hoping that I have covered my previous shortfalls. I’ve re-activated my application and will be sitting my YOU day again shortly.

A few of my major concerns are that with my flying experience I no doubt will have developed some bad habits and that being nearly 27 the age window is closing on me fast. However I am going into this giving my all so if I don't make it I will know it wasn't meant to be. Has anybody gone through FSP with a similar number of hours who can comment on how this affected them be it for the positive or negative?

Sorry about the essay and best of luck to those currently in the process!

Chang Driver

neopowered34
6th Jul 2013, 01:13
You guys that have sat the aircrew testing and passed, how many of the 60 questions in the first test (instrument reading) did you complete?

And can anyone give info on the memory test for the second part of the day?

Very Sneaky
6th Jul 2013, 02:55
You guys that have sat the aircrew testing and passed, how many of the 60 questions in the first test (instrument reading) did you complete?

And can anyone give info on the memory test for the second part of the day?

Hey mate, I answered around 50 - I think it might've been a little under. Having said that, all of the other blokes I was with finished it.

RE the memory test, we were shown a continuous series of numbers, which we were required to input the same way with an increasing displacement, i.e. 2 places, 3 places, 4 places, 5 places. For example, if the number series was 5, 9, 8, 3, 2, 7, 7, then to repeat it with 2 displacements would be entered as follows: "...", "...", "5", "9", "8", "3", "2, "7, "7". It is important to note that the number series was not given all at once, but at the same time you are required to input the numbers. Essentially for 2 displacements, the numbers would begin to display, you would wait for 2 to show, then start inputting the numbers in sequence of appearance. I'm not sure if this is a terribly clear explanation but I hope it helps

neopowered34
6th Jul 2013, 07:02
Thanks Very Sneaky appreciate your response! Test is only 2 sleeps away, will post up how I go Monday afternoon :)

So with the memory one, the six numbers you are given remain the same however you just need to keep adding/remembering new ones. 2, then 3, then 4 different ones as they add them on? so using your example it could be first two numbers they give as 1,7 then you enter 5982377, next time 3 digits 1,7,6, then 5982377 etc?

Geoff

Very Sneaky
6th Jul 2013, 07:57
Thanks Very Sneaky appreciate your response! Test is only 2 sleeps away, will post up how I go Monday afternoon

So with the memory one, the six numbers you are given remain the same however you just need to keep adding/remembering new ones. 2, then 3, then 4 different ones as they add them on? so using your example it could be first two numbers they give as 1,7 then you enter 5982377, next time 3 digits 1,7,6, then 5982377 etc?

Geoff

No worries Geoff. The example I used was just for the purpose of explaining it. The numbers will continue for each until you finish the test (maybe 15-20 numbers?) or get 2 in a row wrong (maybe 3? its been a while). You sort of have the right idea; for 2 displacements you'll need to remember the 2 numbers prior to the number currently shown, 3 numbers for 3 displacements and 4 for 4 displacements.

Heres an example for 2 displacements using the numbers 5, 9, 8, 2, 3, 7, 7:

Screen 1:
Input (what you enter): -
Number Given: 5

Screen 2:
Input: -
Number: 9

Screen 3:
Input: 5
Number: 8

Screen 4:
Input: 9
Number: 2

Screen 5:
Input: 8
Number: 3

Screen 6:
Input: 2
Number: 7

Screen 7:
Input: 3
Number: 7

etcetera. It's quite a difficult task, especially when you have to remember 3 or 4 numbers, so don't stress out too much if you don't feel like you did well, chances are you did better than you thought. I remember thinking I failed, and I was told I did quite well - I thought they were having me on at the time!

neopowered34
8th Jul 2013, 05:20
Finished my Pilot Specialist Testing today and somehow, someway I managed to pass! Feels really good after not doing well enough over a year ago. Now to wait for my assessment day to be booked :)

BravoJulietCharlie
11th Jul 2013, 05:37
Hi guys, I have my aircrew specific testing this coming Monday (pretty excited/packing it at the same time) I'm just wondering if someone could answer, what should I wear? If it something I should get really dressed up for? Or is smart casual acceptable?

Thanks,
Ben.

neopowered34
11th Jul 2013, 13:35
I did mine last Monday in Brisbane, just wore long suit pants with a long sleeve collared shirt (no tie) you need to be comfortable in it that's for sure. Good luck anyways :ok:

Chang Driver
12th Jul 2013, 01:25
Personally I would be treating every interaction with DFR as a job interview. Wear what you would wear if you were being interviewed for the position (as realistically that is what is happening). When I went through the process last time I went in full suit and tie every step of the way and I fully intend on doing the same this time around.

If your clothes fit correctly they should be comfortable! How you present yourself speaks volumes, a picture is worth a thousand words after all!

C17_wannaby
14th Jul 2013, 22:01
Hello everyone,

I have been reading this thread the last couple of days and I must say, It is extremely helpful.

A bit about myself: I first applied for pilot out of high school in 2005 and failed my pilot specific test (due to lack of study and ignorance on my part). I was a part of the AAFC from 2000 - 2005 and completed 18.6 hours in a Cessna 152 in Townsville, I was awarded the Peter Vidler Scholarship which provided a little bit of money towards my flying as well. Since I failed my testing I applied to the defence force to gain some experience, leadership skills and operational experience, I am now a serving member of the ARA for the last 5 years as an RAE combat engineer LCPL. I have deployed on OP SLIPPER and been posted to 3CER, 21 CONST SQN and now 20 EOD SQN. Whilst on deployment (between JUN - NOV 2012) I made the decision that I would reapply and put everything I had into achieving my childhood dream to fly, and as the name suggests I want to fly the C-17 through the RAAF DEO scheme. Since then I have submitted the appropriate paperwork and got the ball rolling, I am now waiting on my PSYCH / Pilot Specific Test to complete my application to send to the PSA. I have sought to conduct OJT's at 36 Sqn to gain some working experience within an active Sqn and I am going to take couple of more flying lessons to get back into the mind set.

My current priority is to pass the Aptitude test! I was almost about to buy a session with the PATS in Melbourne until I read the comments in this forum (Thanks for saving me $3500). I am fine with Instrument reading, coordination and estimation tests, though I hate to admit that my speed, distance and time skills are not so great, so I am working on rectifying that. At the same time I am researching everything I can for the OSB before I head to Tamworth so I am not ‘cramming’ while I am there.

My question is to the already ADF pilots out there is, from what I have told you, are there any shortfalls that you can see that will effect my success? What sort of questions do you think they will ask me?

BoxBoxCheez
15th Jul 2013, 09:58
C17_wannabe

One of their questions will most likely be what your reaction will be when you don't get sent to C17, and instead fly King Air. On the other hand, if you do well enough they will send you to jets, how will your motivation fare?

BravoJulietCharlie
15th Jul 2013, 12:08
Had my pilot aptitude testing today and am being progressed to the assessment day.....pretty happy :) strange thing is I don't really feel super excited. More just looking at how much more I need to learn and remember before the assessment day.

Arm out the window
15th Jul 2013, 21:19
Being apprehensive is normal.

While you will have some good and memorable experiences on the way through pilots course, it really is a day to day proposition where you need to just keep on keeping on!

C17_wannaby
16th Jul 2013, 01:14
BoxBoxCheez

My answer to that is very simple, C-17 is a preference. I would be happy to fly anything. If I get offered fast jets then my motivation would be higher than ever to succeed and be the best within that stream.

Rogan82
16th Jul 2013, 14:11
C17, the current RAAF training pipeline is focused around producing Fighter Pilots. You will be questioned as to why you want C17 over FJ's right through the whole training scheme. They may evan question if it is worth training you if you don't want to be a FJ pilot first and foremost. My advice is to be very smart with your answer, pick your words wisely.

Further, preferences for platform type are not formally taken any more at postings time. The fate of your future comes down to your performance, RAAF demand, your QFI's advice to the CO and ultimately the CO 2FTS. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

C17_wannaby
17th Jul 2013, 07:29
Thanks for the advice

Very Sneaky
18th Jul 2013, 05:34
Could anybody advise me when, specifically, during FSP the fitness evaluation is undertaken? I'm referring to the push-ups, shuttle run and sit-ups.

Thanks

VS

frappe
19th Jul 2013, 08:30
VS,

The fitness test was done on the afternoon of the second last day for us.

Chang Driver
19th Jul 2013, 10:02
Had my YOU session the other day and all thankfully went well. Although I was confident I would be fine as I've been through it before, I was still nervous until the my CC passed on the positive news.

Hopefully I can get my Pilot Spec testing booked in soon as apparently case managers have an unprecedented workload at present. As such my CC advised that applicants should be pro-active in following up bookings to ensure they are made!

Time to sharpen up the mental maths I think!

Very Sneaky
19th Jul 2013, 11:28
VS,

The fitness test was done on the afternoon of the second last day for us.

Thanks mate, that puts me at ease a bit! Hopefully they do it the same way at mine!

GIA-90
19th Jul 2013, 14:34
hey guys,

I have now passed all my testing with dfr and am waiting for a position on a flight screening course(adfa). My only chances are to go into the FSP course in september or november/december.

Do you know roughly when they let you when you've been granted a spot on a course..?

Cheers

BucketOFish
19th Jul 2013, 18:13
Hey Everyone,

I have only recently stumbled upon this thread and I have so far found it extremely useful, so thank you to all who have contributed so far.

I was hoping that I could receive some help/guidance pertaining to my current circumstances with my ADF application from those who have been through it already or have the necessary knowledge to help me out.

So a little bit about myself. Im nearly 17 and I am currently in Year 12 studying Year 12 courses and scoring relatively well so far, currently sitting on A's and B's with strong intentions to pick up my game and be sitting on comfortable straight A's

The courses I am studying are Maths 3C/D, English 3A/B, Chemistry 3A/B, Geography 3A/B and Psychology 3A/B

For those not familiar with the WA course terms, these are all the highest possible stages that can be completed.

I myself have been interested in some form of career within the ADF for as long as I can remember and more recently (the past 2 years) have decided to aim for a RAAF fast jet pilot, as many other contributors have.

I completed my YOU session 2 days ago (the 18th of July) and passed both the general aptitude testing and the extra testing for those wishing to apply for ADFA. I am now awaiting a phone call by the DFR nurse relating to my medical questionnaire and I also need to schedule a time for my aircrew testing.

So basically, I have a few questions that so far I have not managed to find the answers to, those being;

First off, I have not completed any physics course in either year 11 or 12 and I was wondering if this was going to have any significant impact upon my ability to complete any testing, especially the aircrew testing as it seems as though aspects of physics would naturally be found in the testing.

Secondly, my BMI is currently slightly below the required minimum for service in the ADF. To rectify this I am beginning a workout regime within the next month to hopefully beef myself up a little, and I was curious as to whether or not not meeting this benchmark would have any significant impact on my application.

Thirdly, I was told during my interview that the aircrew testing is about 4 hours long and maths intensive which shouldn't be too much of a problem, but that was all that they told me and I see above that people have given some answers that briefly go over certain aspects of the testing. I was hoping that someone would be able to give me an overview/summary of the aircrew testing, and if possible, give me their opinion on the day.

Finally, Im interested to know if there are any other applicants from Western Australia who are/have gone through the recruitment process and wanted to have a chat about their experiences and compare, so if so, feel free to send me a message or something.

Thats pretty much all I can think of for now, and in hindsight, this is a relatively big post but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
-Bucket

Skymong
19th Jul 2013, 23:18
Hi BucketOFish I am also from WA, and have recently successfully completed the application process, if you have any questions feel free to send me a message.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about your BMI; you have time to increase it.

WRT your lack of Physics I would imagine it would be dependant on how well you perform on the Mathematics and associated aptitude tests.

neopowered34
22nd Jul 2013, 07:05
Yeah its all on assessment day now with regard to interviews, medicals etc

Geoff

BucketOFish
22nd Jul 2013, 14:49
What sort of essay questions do they ask?

captainsail
24th Jul 2013, 11:35
GIA-90,

You'll get a call about a month before the start of that course if you've been offered a position.

FlyingCharlie01
25th Jul 2013, 08:50
Hi. So I'm in year 9 and I have the choice to do aviation next year in school. I'd love to do it but I think I'm also going to join the cadets (if rowing doesn't clash). I'd love to learn aviation through both but when my older brother did the year 10 aviation (our schools do the same program and he did his two years ago so they wouldn't be different) I read his books and sheets and I already know basically everything but weather that you learn in year 10. I was wondering whether I should do aviation through the cadets and leave the school aviation and put more focus and time into like maths and science etc.

Thanks,
Flyingcharlie

flying_chops
25th Jul 2013, 10:11
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could help me with this question.

I attended flight screening a year ago and was recommended, but found out early this year after the last intake before my dossier expired that my score was not competitive. I was given some suggestions on what to do to make myself more competitive next time I apply, such as join Toastmasters and do some gliding both of which I have commenced. I went back over the last month to DFR to update my medical, aptitude, psychological and interview and have been recommended (again). My first preference is RAAF but would take any service, however have been informed that the RAAF are not interested and would want me to resit flight screening again in 2015 to be considered. However I might still have a shot at the ARA or Navy.

This doesnt make sense to me? Can anyone help?

Thanks,

FC

neopowered34
25th Jul 2013, 12:16
Sounds unusual that they don't want you to re-apply especially when you got recommended. If you are happy to accept one of the other services I'd change your preference and then go for the Assessment Day/OSB again. Keep in mind the Navy to both BFTS and 2FTS so you'd still get your wings and have the opportunity to transfer if you did well enough, might be worth a shot. I'm not an expert but that sounds like a reasonable idea if your keen to fly.

Sashisruski
25th Jul 2013, 12:34
i thought you can't retake FSP, the actual flying. Once you get your score it sticks with you?

i would definitely apply for navy

flying_chops
25th Jul 2013, 13:31
You can redo the flying component of flight screening after 3 years and the board component after 12 months. Apparently I got above average in the flying component but did poorly in the interview (rabbit in the head lights experience).

I read earlier in the thread that the RAAF if focused on fighter pilots so maybe I dont make the cut at the moment.

I would prefer RAAF as I like fixed wing and did AAFC for seven years, plus the options of more aircraft offer.

Might have to give the Navy a shot.

Sashisruski
26th Jul 2013, 02:39
i would go for navy. hopefully this story helps

Brody trains as fighter pilot | Bayside Bulletin (http://www.baysidebulletin.com.au/story/105599/brody-trains-as-fighter-pilot/)

"Sub-Lieutenant Marris has been recruited as a fighter pilot with the Royal Australian Air Force after graduating as a navy pilot"

IF you're good enough in training, be damn sure the airforce will snatch you up

Very Sneaky
26th Jul 2013, 03:40
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could help me with this question.

I attended flight screening a year ago and was recommended, but found out early this year after the last intake before my dossier expired that my score was not competitive. I was given some suggestions on what to do to make myself more competitive next time I apply, such as join Toastmasters and do some gliding both of which I have commenced. I went back over the last month to DFR to update my medical, aptitude, psychological and interview and have been recommended (again). My first preference is RAAF but would take any service, however have been informed that the RAAF are not interested and would want me to resit flight screening again in 2015 to be considered. However I might still have a shot at the ARA or Navy.

This doesnt make sense to me? Can anyone help?

Thanks,

FC

Recently the RAAF increased it's requirement from a flying score of 2.5/5.0 to 4.0/5.0, while ARA and RAN maintained their requirement of 2.5/5.0. According to a conversation I had with my enlistment coordinator, this change led to only 7 candidates being taken from a pool of 50 on the last intake (figures may be slightly off, my memory is a little hazy). From the sounds of it, your flying score was above the 2.5 (which was why you were recommended initially) but below the new RAAF requirement of 4.0, which excluded you. This is all just a guess but it would explain why the RAAF no longer consider you competitive but the ARA and RAN do. Hope this helps.

Sashisruski
26th Jul 2013, 04:21
is there any reason they jumped from 50% to 80%?

they want fighter pilots but it isn't the only role in the airforce. it seems like they'll be running into a shortage of pilots in a few years.

I spoke to one guy applying as well and apparently America is running short on Fighter pilots, if it keeps declining as it is, they would need around 400-500 fighter pilots in 10 years time. This is word of mouth however

Very Sneaky
26th Jul 2013, 04:36
The way it was explained to me was that there is a shortage of fast jet pilots and a surplus of pilots in every other role, and coupled with the recent budget cuts there's a need to be more efficient in recruiting practices. I think they're aiming to recruit pilots capable of filling the fast jet role, and then having the less skilled of the lot fill roles on other aircraft as the need arises.

The way I look at it is that I wanted to fly fast jets anyway, so I'll have to meet this standard at some point or another. It just means that there's no safety net if I don't meet the required standard at FSP.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I wouldn't know which aircraft require more 'skill' to fly, this is just the impression I got from my conversations.

Sashisruski
26th Jul 2013, 14:52
Give it time and I'm sure they'll have an overall shortage of Pilots :E

Amazing to think this thread was started almost 12 years ago and still going strong. Must be some sort of record.

This thread is a Goldmine guys

flying_chops
27th Jul 2013, 05:54
Be nice if they stopped moving the goals.

Guess they will have a lot of guys going for ARA and Navy pilot spots then.

Fair skies
28th Jul 2013, 03:39
G'day all,

I have my pilot specific testing coming up in just over a week and I am starting to get a little nervous. I have read all the previous posts re what to expect but am finding it hard to direct my study in terms of the maths related questions. I have been going over basic algebra, indices, trig, fractions, decimals etc. Is this on the right track or should I be focussing on other stuff? I have also been practicing questions from the Arco Marines aptitude test guidebook as well as speed/dist/time and fuel calculations mentally.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Fair skies

neopowered34
28th Jul 2013, 10:29
Had my Assessment day on Friday for ADF Pilot (RAAF) and was recommend by both the psych and the DI who told me I was a strong candidate. I had a medical issue to clear up which I did yesterday and got my results back today which are all clear so will get them to DFR tomorrow and my file should be sent to PSA to be added to the pool for a position on Flight Screening Programme :D

Rogan82
28th Jul 2013, 10:54
Your quite right f-chops, the goal posts are moving. As they have been since military aviation began. At the moment the focus is Fast Jets, but the other types need a trickle feed of capable applicants too.

Flight training is very reactive and generally has a significant lag time, typically on the order of years. The chicken bones are very hard to read.

What does this mean to you guys?
...nothing. You are needed by the system to apply, you are required to do your best and not to be swayed like a politician by the 'polls' of how many spots are required and where. If you are the right applicant, at the right time you will find yourself on Pilots Course, hopefully by the end with wings and a 79SQN posting. If you are not you will find yourself employed in an area that better suits your unique and individual skill sets.

The bottom line is have a go, give it your best, don't worry about second hand knowledge on RAAF numbers. By the time it reaches you it is lagging reality anyway. Let your recruiters and QFI's decide. All we ask for is your best. Good luck.

Rog.

Sashisruski
28th Jul 2013, 11:25
great to hear that neo! do you mind me asking what type of essay questions they had?

also do you do the medical/psych then interview? or is the med/psych on a different day

neopowered34
28th Jul 2013, 11:56
Thanks mate

I'll PM you the Q's to avoid posting them on a public forum.

In regard to the day, it starts off with 3 short response questions and a short yes/no questionnaire then the Psych interview (they use the questions you answered at the start of the day) followed by the Defence Interview and then the medical. I was finished by 1300 but I know GE (general entry) guys are expected to be there all day as they have to do the physical

Sashisruski
31st Jul 2013, 01:56
Well i called my case manager today to book in for assessment day after a week from the aptitude testing, he said the doctor is still reviewing my medical. He said it should take about 2 weeks.

Did it take that long for you guys?

BravoJulietCharlie
1st Aug 2013, 05:43
Got my call up yesterday for the Assessment Day. 26th of August....heading back to the mixed feelings of excitement vs nervous.......

AnotherException
3rd Aug 2013, 12:03
Hey, has anybody received a spot for Flight screening in September from the PSA? I really do hope I haven't missed out for this year..

captainsail
3rd Aug 2013, 16:05
AnotherException,

You'll only find out about a month before the start of the course.

On that note, does anyone know roughly when ADFA offers are distributed?

BravoJulietCharlie
4th Aug 2013, 00:14
Don't stress over September too much, there are still FSP dates in October and November.

Fair skies
9th Aug 2013, 04:35
G'day all,

After many weeks of stressing out and hitting the books I had my aptitude and psych assessment this week and was recommended.

I have to say I didn't feel like I went that well in the testing but much to my surprise I did pretty well. Now to get my app in and wait for flight screening.

Many thanks to everyone that has shared their knowledge. It's a great forum.

Have a good weekend. I know I will!

Chang Driver
10th Aug 2013, 12:50
Well done Fair Skies.

Did you do your Aptitude testing on the 6th August? If so I may have actually been there talking to you on the day!

So have you have had your assessment day already as well? My understanding is this is generally booked at least a few weeks after Pilot Spec testing. If you did get them both knocked out together that's great. Nothing like keeping the ball rolling.

Anyway I got through Pilot Spec too which feels great and now have my assessment day booked for about a month away, plenty of time to study. So far the CC's I've interviewed with have been very encouraging and everything feels like its going in the right direction. Determination and motivation are higher than ever, bring on the challenges that await :)

Again thanks to all contributors to the forum, very valuable resource going here. :ok:

Fair skies
11th Aug 2013, 12:27
Thanks Chang driver.

I am an in service applicant so I did the testing and psych assessment a day apart. Now my app goes off to Canberra and the wait for a flight screening date begins.

Good luck with your assessment day and in the near future.

Fair skies.

septerra
12th Aug 2013, 21:08
Good day to all,

I was hoping that some one on these forums might have information on what dates/months the next intakes for the three forces are up until May 2014 [personal FSP expiry]. If any of you can share this information, I'd be very grateful.

Regards
Sep

Pigs Can Fly_92
13th Aug 2013, 02:46
septerra,

I'm not sure if you were after FSP or Officer training intake dates, but if it was for FSP dates, this page is what you're looking for:

this page ( http://www.airforce.gov.au/Our-People/Careers/Becoming-a-Pilot/Pilot-Selection-Flight/Flight-Screening-Program-Schedule/?RAAF-e9g2z8vIikaumcv6ylDo1q9luRRCcBKo)

Cheers

neopowered34
13th Aug 2013, 03:40
Hey Mate

There is a list on the PSA website with regard to FSP dates.

Just got news my file has been with the PSA for a week now, so fingers crossed I get a call soon!

septerra
13th Aug 2013, 08:58
Hey,

Apologies, I should have made it clearer. I was looking for the dates for pilot distribution once your in the waiting pool, post FSP.

Thank you however for the prompt response. :ok:

GIA-90
14th Aug 2013, 09:47
hey guys,

just wondering whether anyone has been put on a flight screening course for september, this is through the ADFA stream aswell.

If not, when should we be expecting a call if we are competitive enough to be put on a course?

Cheers!

neopowered34
15th Aug 2013, 07:16
Got the call for September FSP today, very excited and motivation is now higher than ever. Time to hit the books and might see some of you there :ok:

Gordy81
16th Aug 2013, 05:58
Well done Neo, awesome news.... good luck!!

AnotherException
18th Aug 2013, 12:01
Good job neopowered. Congratulations ^^

Marlow94
19th Aug 2013, 07:07
Ive been reading this and other threads for the past month and just decided to make an account haha, so i can communicate with anyone who is going to be on the ADFA flight screening course 7th - 21st September. Cause i'll be meeting you there :D

alec taylor
19th Aug 2013, 07:18
Hey all,

Very recently got the call from PSA to attend FSP on September 15th-28th.

Just thought I would get my name out there and to see if anybody else on these forums has been offered the same FSP dates.

Cheers, Alec.

Winged Wombat
19th Aug 2013, 23:15
Gentlemen and ladies,

This forum is about answering questions regarding the FSP and ADF pilot applications. It already has some 2500 entries and your self congratulating comments are not helping anyone! Desist and start behaving like future pilots.

Ask intelligent questions and provide valuable guidance for others. That is it!

Nuff said.

WW

Marlow94
20th Aug 2013, 08:08
To anyone that has been on the flight screening program before, what is the day to day routine? I am not looking for insider tips and hints, but rather trying to gauge when we finish for the day so to speak, allowing us to study the book as well as maybe continue preparation for the OSB on the last day if this is possible? Thanks.

Winged Wombat
21st Aug 2013, 02:02
Marlow,
To the best of my knowledge you'll be flying most days at least once, maybe twice. You will be expected to study in the evenings to get ready for the next days activities. It'll be busy but a good taste of what the real course will be like.

If you still need to prepare for the OSB whilst you're at the FSP then you are NOT ready for the FSP. Remember, Prior Preparation Prevents Pitifully Poor Pilot Performance.:eek:

WW

Marlow94
21st Aug 2013, 02:20
Okay that's great, i'm glad we have our own time to read and prepare for the next day just like it would be at BFTS! Going to be such a great test of character.
I completely understand what you mean and i'll take that with me, for the majority of the time FSP is pilot time! :D Hopefully I find a little time among it all towards the end to just consolidate what I shall talk about and how to present myself kind of aspects for the OSB on the last day.

Thanks WW.

alec taylor
21st Aug 2013, 07:09
In addition to what winged wombat said I would advise not only studying your next sortie but your next to or three as one might be cancelled due to weather. Furthermore whilst down there you need to build a model aeroplane with the rest of your group which takes a bit of time individually. When not studying however make sure your not being a hermit. Get out there talk to people about their experiences and advise. Not sure on the routine times as im yet to go to flight screening myself, however all this information has come from someone who very recently went through the program with a recommendation.

captainsail
21st Aug 2013, 21:50
In regards to the routine of the day, you'll be required to be at BFTS by 0800 and be able to leave at 1600.

ToniAlessandra
21st Aug 2013, 22:44
Hey alec_taylor,

Just curious as to how long after your assessment day you got the call to attend Flight Screening? :)

alec taylor
23rd Aug 2013, 01:15
I had a few medical things needing to be cleared up but once I was medically cleared it took about 2 weeks to get a call. It comes a lot sooner than you imagine.

Alexie9
23rd Aug 2013, 06:35
Hi guys,

Long time reader. I just received a call for a spot on the 28th of September onwards for FSP. Anyone else allocated for this ADFA session?

Excited and packing death at the same time! Any words of wisdom or values of hindsight to share from those who have completed it recently?

Cheers

ToniAlessandra
23rd Aug 2013, 23:28
Do you guys know if there is a way to track how your application is going or how competitive you are to other applicants? :)

frappe
24th Aug 2013, 07:30
ToniAllssandra,

The only way would be to call DFR and ask them. Are you pre or post flight screening?

Aydo
24th Aug 2013, 10:27
WW, acting like future pilots? What makes you think they're not?

ToniAlessandra
24th Aug 2013, 11:21
I am pre flight screening, I only recently passed through assessment day.

captainsail
26th Aug 2013, 10:25
There is a fitness assessment done at the end of the FSP phase, based on Army standards. It's just to gauge where you're at with your fitness, so if you get an offer you still have to do the pre-enlistment fitness test.

ToniAlessandra
26th Aug 2013, 21:18
Ok thanks, just the standard push ups, sit ups and beep test im assuming? For the one completed at flight screening?

captainsail
27th Aug 2013, 10:05
Yep, that's all there is to it. Nothing too strenuous ;)

Slezy9
29th Aug 2013, 20:28
Winged Wombat,

This forum is about answering questions regarding the FSP and ADF pilot applications. It already has some 2500 entries and your self congratulating comments are not helping anyone! Desist and start behaving like future pilots.

Take a chill pill dude. := It's the internets... If the people applying want to jump online and find others to be happy with then good luck to them.

I would be interested if you could explain what future pilots behave like?

Joker89
1st Sep 2013, 07:56
Folks,

In my opinion there was nothing much fun about flight screening back when I did it. Treat it for what it is, a 2 week job interview and be thankful
For the opportunity.

While some could argue that it is a taste of what is to come. Pilots course and the job after are much more enjoyable than fsp, although the same can't be said for OTS and comsurv.

Winged Wombat
2nd Sep 2013, 03:15
Slezy9, - "Take a chill pill dude. It's the internets... If the people applying want to jump online and find others to be happy with then good luck to them.
I would be interested if you could explain what future pilots behave like? "

:ugh:Internets?..........your syntax both astounds me and causes me great concern for the future of gramatically correct communications.

Future Pilots?

In my humble airline pilot opinion, pilots do not engage in self congratulating hubris. CAPT of QF 32 a case in point.
They avoid drinking decafinated soy latte's with low carb marshmallows on the side. If they make a contribution to society or their chosen field of venture, then they will generally not seek a pat on the back or surreptitious recognition for a very ordinary achievement such as finding out what format the recruitment tests take or being the number 564th applicant to be given the nod for the next hurdle of pilot selection this year.

They take advice when needed and ask intelligent and appropriate questions once they've made an effort to understand a system or situation themselves. Whingeing rarely, they are most happy talking aircraft and or subjects related to flying and never ever refer to another as "Dude"!

They are generally comfortable with seeking a solution via their own means before engaging anyone else and detest good old mummy-hug-spoon-feeding.

I anticipate that you will be bewildered by the use of the word surreptitious so have included a definition below for your benefit in pronunciation and definition.

sur·rep·ti·tious (sûrhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/lprime.gifhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/schwa.gifp-thttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ibreve.gifshhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/schwa.gifs)
adj. 1. Obtained, done, or made by clandestine or stealthy means.
2. Acting with or marked by stealth.

So, given that this thread is directed at providing said candidates with genuine and credible information to assist them with their preparations for a pilot application, my comments in a previous post stand as a guide to making the most of the information available in this thread and preventing it degenerating into a gab fest of self interest. There is very limited value in filling it with nonsensical 'facebookese" statements which generate little credibility for the writer and add no further value to the thread.

But thank you for your keen interest in my offerings, I am both grateful and humbled by your interest and trust that my reply has clarified for you, my meaning.

WW :ok:

"Nothing worth while was ever gained the easy way"

BravoJulietCharlie
5th Sep 2013, 08:55
Well I passed the assessment day and I had sorted out most of the required paper work for submission to PSA, then today the medical department at DFR called to tell me that (now that they have the report from my Dr.) my file has to now be reviewed by Avmed in Adelaide before I can be nominated for an FSP course.

I've searched the medication I'm currently prescribed online regarding Aviation medical, and all I found indicated that it shouldn't be a problem (it's a very minor condition I might add)

Has anyone out there been in a similar situation? Is it something for me to be worried about? What sort of timeframe can i expect an answer? I am pretty worried about it

josephfeatherweight
5th Sep 2013, 11:16
WW - You don't half rate yourself, do you?
A more condescending tone I've not heard...

Winged Wombat
6th Sep 2013, 04:24
BJC - I think you're doing all you can at present. If it's AVMED's call, then you're probably just going to have to wait for their answer. Don't be disheartened though, they are in the business of protecting you and the government from things going wrong. Stay upbeat.

JFW - I'm not sure I'd call it condescending. Just wanted to keep the thing on track. Nothing from Sleezy9 and the 'facebookese' seems to have evaporated so I'm hoping I have been successful.:rolleyes:

Very Sneaky
6th Sep 2013, 06:50
Well I passed the assessment day and I had sorted out most of the required paper work for submission to PSA, then today the medical department at DFR called to tell me that (now that they have the report from my Dr.) my file has to now be reviewed by Avmed in Adelaide before I can be nominated for an FSP course.

I've searched the medication I'm currently prescribed online regarding Aviation medical, and all I found indicated that it shouldn't be a problem (it's a very minor condition I might add)

Has anyone out there been in a similar situation? Is it something for me to be worried about? What sort of timeframe can i expect an answer? I am pretty worried about it

I'm not sure what condition you have, and I do hope it isn't serious or a barrier to your entry, however I will share with you my experience regarding AVMed and medication. I was given a class 3R (restricted) medical status based partly on the fact that I was experiencing mild reflux and was on medication for it accordingly. Because of this I was required to have an exploratory procedure to fully assess the seriousness of the condition. My understanding from the doctor was that if it was the case that I was required to take medication on an ongoing, indefinite basis, I would be deemed unfit and given a class 4. Fortunately this was not the case, but it would seem that any prescribed medication would have to be temporary and of a "non-recurring" nature. I would also assume that you would be held to the same standard, but having said that I'm obviously not from AVMed so this may not be the whole story in regards to options and rulings.

I hope this helps and that things go well for you!

Cheers

VS

krunkworx
8th Sep 2013, 00:26
Hi All,

This thread is an amazing source of information although does digress quite a bit at times. Thanks to all of you who have returned after YOU days, spec testing and FSP/OSBs to report back on what to expect.

I had a query regarding the weight put on previous flying experience. Although I don't have my PPL, I do have some flying hours from my uni degree (aerospace engineering) and have some gliding time booked in the next couple of weeks. I've got my assessment day coming up (assuming I pass spec testing!) and am a little worried that I may get drilled for not having more demonstrated flying experience for someone of my age (26).

Can anyone comment on their experience through the process with little flying experience?

Very Sneaky
8th Sep 2013, 11:07
Hi All,

This thread is an amazing source of information although does digress quite a bit at times. Thanks to all of you who have returned after YOU days, spec testing and FSP/OSBs to report back on what to expect.

I had a query regarding the weight put on previous flying experience. Although I don't have my PPL, I do have some flying hours from my uni degree (aerospace engineering) and have some gliding time booked in the next couple of weeks. I've got my assessment day coming up (assuming I pass spec testing!) and am a little worried that I may get drilled for not having more demonstrated flying experience for someone of my age (26).

Can anyone comment on their experience through the process with little flying experience?

Flight experience, even if it's only a little, speaks loads towards motivation to fly, and I would bet that you'll get asked about it in your OSB. There was one bloke on my course who had no experience, and his comments were that he wished he had at least some. He said he found it difficult to adapt to the air and get used to/be confident in the aircraft. Everyone is different however; there have been numerous people who have been successful with no flight time, but I think the general recommendation (at least in my experience) is that you get some hours before you go up. A recommendation from personal experience is don't stagger your lessons. Do them all in one go and apply yourself to learn everything you need to for those flights. I found that waiting between flights meant that I was rusty and had to relearn a lot of material that I'd already covered.

Having said this, students are split up into basic, intermediate and advanced categories based on the hours they have and the recency of those hours (<10 hours for the basic course). The syllabus of each of these is progressively more involved and there are fewer flights in the intermediate and advanced categories, which I would assume is supposed to cater to different levels of experience.

krunkworx
8th Sep 2013, 11:32
VS,

Thanks for the reply! Interesting point about not staggering flight lessons. Just out of curiosity, did you take your lessons as part of a program? Was it part of a PPL or can you book lessons without having/or working towards a PPL?

Very Sneaky
8th Sep 2013, 14:09
VS,

Thanks for the reply! Interesting point about not staggering flight lessons. Just out of curiosity, did you take your lessons as part of a program? Was it part of a PPL or can you book lessons without having/or working towards a PPL?

I just went to the flight school and asked to work towards my first solo. I didn't end up making it to solo, but by the first 10 hours I had a basic understanding of basic aircraft manoeuvres. But as I said; I staggered my lessons so I feel as though they were of limited benefit, though the board was satisfied with my motivation.

If for some obscure reason the flying school doesn't like your vague approach, I would imagine that doing the first 10 or so hours towards your GFPT would be a good way to go. Otherwise, I've heard gliding is an excellent way to learn and teaches you good rudder control, which sometimes receives less attention than it deserves from civvy flying instructors

krunkworx
9th Sep 2013, 01:04
Yeah, I'm starting to think I should book some powered flights as well. Not sure if gliding counts towards your license and it will surely be handy to know more about powered flight. So Very Sneaky, have you already gone to FSP? Are you currently waiting on an offer or are you already in?

After perusing the forums, it looks like the first test that you do during the spec testing is very strict, I could only find that it had something to do with dials?

neopowered34
9th Sep 2013, 08:44
Do some gliding and go solo there first before you do powered flying, once you convert 3-4 flights and you'll be solo there anyway + gliding teaches you much better co-ordination and rudder control. As someone who has gone solo gliding and done a bit of powered flying I can assure you gliding is much more challenging!

Just as a side note, the current Chief of Air Force started gliding and is still involved in the QLD Air Force Cadet gliding scheme - I personally walked him to and from a glider in 2010 when I was there.

With regard to the first test on aircrew testing, its just instrument reading nothing to hard, just be quick and accurate :ok:

Very Sneaky
9th Sep 2013, 11:58
Yeah, I'm starting to think I should book some powered flights as well. Not sure if gliding counts towards your license and it will surely be handy to know more about powered flight. So Very Sneaky, have you already gone to FSP? Are you currently waiting on an offer or are you already in?

After perusing the forums, it looks like the first test that you do during the spec testing is very strict, I could only find that it had something to do with dials?

I was unfortunately not lucky enough to receive an offer after FSP. I've learnt some hard lessons though, so I'll try to remedy my shortcomings and try again in a few years.

AnotherException
11th Sep 2013, 14:12
Good luck to all attending flight screening next Saturday ! :D

Would anybody have any idea about when to expect calls for the November/December flight screening?
:ugh:

BravoJulietCharlie
11th Sep 2013, 23:47
There are no courses for December according to their schedule (http://www.airforce.gov.au/docs/FSP-Schedule-FY13_14.doc) and there is only one course in November for DEO, the rest are ADFA courses.

From talking with people who have gone to FSP you will receive a phone call giving you almost exactly 4 weeks notice. If you don't hear anything by the 3rd of October then you will be looking at a 2014 course.

layman
12th Sep 2013, 05:42
Winged Wombat

Nothing from Sleezy9

True, but perhaps Slezy9 may choose to respond?

Over the years I think you'll find there have been quite a number of "I made it" posts on this thread. Perhaps this isn't in the best traditions of the steely-eyed warrior, but is in the tradition of people excited about their future career and gives encouragement to those still trying.

cheers
layman

AnotherException
13th Sep 2013, 05:12
LOL I am actually hoping to get a spot for the ADFA PSA. So, four weeks prior to the dates of the testing. Thanks mate

septerra
14th Sep 2013, 04:07
For those of you on the waiting list for distribution, I was recently informed by the PSA, when I had called to inquire about it, that the next round of distributions are in November for all three forces.

I'm apparently, right in the middle i.e. average, on the list of candidates. I hope I get selected in November, as my FSP file expires pretty early next year. However, given the low demand and intake numbers, I'm not so sure.

Well, just thought I'll share that info.

captainsail
14th Sep 2013, 05:45
septerra,

Would you happen to know if that's just for DEO or whether ADFA offers are included as well?

Cheers

Winged Wombat
17th Sep 2013, 05:51
Layman,

Copied and agree. I might have gone a tad hard on Sleezy9.

But in the end the content of thread has returned to genuine and intelligent information sharing.

And for all:

As far as I'm aware, direct entry allocations occur throughout the year on a trickle feed basis. ADFA allocations are completed after the final ADFA course in December some time. I had a friend's son go though last year and he was not notified until quite close to Christmas.:)

AnotherException
21st Sep 2013, 10:39
Sounds like the perfect Christmas present to me. :ok:

'You have been accepted into the Australian Defence Force Academy'.

septerra
22nd Sep 2013, 00:34
@captainsail

Sorry mate, I'm not sure about the ADFA side of things; I'm DEO myself.

Do any of you have a rough idea of how far ahead in time the files are sent to Canberra before an intake, at which point you receive a phone call from PSA? I was expecting that a November intake would perhaps require an intimation around this point in time, given it's just over a month away.

Nervous wreck. :sad:

Gordy81
24th Sep 2013, 02:59
I would have thought they would have waited until after all of the courses for 2013 were completed - but I might be right off the money.

neopowered34
26th Sep 2013, 07:45
From what I've been told whilst at FSP there is a tri-service distribution for DEO on the 20th of November and the ADFA distributions will be after the last courses for 2013 are held and before January.

GIA-90
2nd Oct 2013, 05:16
Hi guys,

I recently called up P.S.A in Tamworth to see if they could give me an indication on whether or not I may be competitive enough to get a spot on one of the four A.D.F.A flight screening courses that will be running mid November/December this year, and the FLGOFF told me that I had been ranked in the middle (average) and been paper boarded well.

Has anyone been in this situation..I'm so nervous and not too sure on whether I will be getting a spot.

Pigs Can Fly_92
8th Oct 2013, 09:56
Hey guys,

I had my assessment day on the 29th of August, ironed out a few medical issues and had a phone call on the 17th of September to go to screening starting on the 19th of October. Originally I was really excited about how fast it was all moving, but now I'm about 10 days out, and after a lot of phone calls I found out today that DFR has finally posted all my info for flight screening but I probably wont receive it for a couple of days still.

Can anyone provide some real basic info on screening so I can start preparing before I receive my info? Just things like what is the day to day routine like, what specific things should I be studying, I live south of Sydney, will I be getting their via bus or plane, and I've heard a few people say that I may need to have a prepared speech for OSB as well as impromptu speaking, can anyone shed any light there?

Any help at all is greatly appreciated, cheers!

GIA-90
9th Oct 2013, 06:47
I GOT A FLIGHT SCREENING SPOT!!! WOOOO!!!

Going up on the 16th of November! This is for the ADFA stream! Cannot wait!!

:)

Pigs Can Fly_92
9th Oct 2013, 07:06
Hey ToniAlessandra,

Good to hear, looking forward to meeting you!

I got my email this afternoon with most of the information, so that was pretty helpful. Still haven't received flight itineraries but I was promised I'd get them in the next two days. Any knowledge on speeches? I've been told all air force OSB's have to have a prepared speech but I have no info to say that that's fact.

ToniAlessandra
9th Oct 2013, 07:37
Yeah, I got the email today as well, so I finally have a bit more of an idea about what to expect! Sorry, no I have no idea about the speech for the OSB but I imagine they wouldn't tell you what its about until just before.

I imagine I received my flights earlier because we probably deal with different Defence Force Recruiting Centres, as I am coming down from Queensland.

But for now I guess we will have to wait to see what to expect next week! :)

Skymong
11th Oct 2013, 11:50
Hi Pigs, when I attended flight screening any speeches we did were "on the spot" or we were given a topic and time to prepare them. Most of the subjects were relatively simple and focused on our motivations for wanting to become pilots.

AnotherException
14th Oct 2013, 06:21
Hey guys, did you guys all get your pathology tests done before you were given a PSA spot?

GIA-90
14th Oct 2013, 06:24
Another Exception: have you been put on a flight screening course yet for the adfa stream?

AnotherException
14th Oct 2013, 08:33
Nah not yet..

captainsail
14th Oct 2013, 10:46
Pathology tests come after flight screening

PhilipMatejko
15th Oct 2013, 03:00
PSA called and I've been placed into course 44, beginning 3rd Nov, anybody else in the same boat? Exciting times :)

AnotherException
15th Oct 2013, 03:30
Captainsail, are you sure? I just had my tests but I haven't been to screening yet. :ooh: :8

preo
15th Oct 2013, 09:34
PhilipMatejko - I have been contacted by DFR to get paperwork organised as they wanted to get me in for OSB. I'm not sure what to make of it though as 3rd of Nov is the last PSF/OSB (non-ADFA) for the year.

I was expecting a call today from DFR and had a few questions lined up. One of them being the order of events.

I haven't had an assessment day (military and psych interview), I have only had the YOU day and pilot aptitude testing. Originally my education wasn't up to par so I've spent the last four months getting HD's in Math and Physics at university. Am I correct to think that PSF would be the last part of the application process?

I have also read that GSO's may do the PSF in the first year of RMC. This doesnt make sense to me as you need to do OSB to see which faction will make you an offer if any. Can anyone confirm this?

Thank you,
Preo

captainsail
15th Oct 2013, 10:06
Huh, didn't know that. I had mine after flight screening despite the ~3 months between assessment day and FSP, so I assumed that's how it was. My mistake :rolleyes:

neopowered34
15th Oct 2013, 10:09
To those who have successfully completed FSP,

Did any of you who were placed in the middle of the pool end up getting a RAAF offer? And if not what services did you hear from?

Very Sneaky
15th Oct 2013, 12:45
PhilipMatejko - I have been contacted by DFR to get paperwork organised as they wanted to get me in for OSB. I'm not sure what to make of it though as 3rd of Nov is the last PSF/OSB (non-ADFA) for the year.

I was expecting a call today from DFR and had a few questions lined up. One of them being the order of events.

I haven't had an assessment day (military and psych interview), I have only had the YOU day and pilot aptitude testing. Originally my education wasn't up to par so I've spent the last four months getting HD's in Math and Physics at university. Am I correct to think that PSF would be the last part of the application process?

I have also read that GSO's may do the PSF in the first year of RMC. This doesnt make sense to me as you need to do OSB to see which faction will make you an offer if any. Can anyone confirm this?

Thank you,
Preo

1. Order of events: YOU, Specialist Testing, Assessment Day (Initial Medical, Psychological, Job Interview), Flight Screening, Further Medical (involves Pathology and Dental tests and only occurs if you get a recommendation), Letter of Offer.

2. There are two ways that a GSO can be a pilot in the Army. The first is to go to flight screening and get recommended as a GSO Army pilot, which involves being given what's called an "aviation scholarship"(or cadetship?) to RMC. This essentially means that you've been streamed into the specific pilot role prior to going to RMC. The second, and the way that all other GSO's gain a specialisation, is to attend RMC and be streamed to a specialisation based on your results on course. I'm not sure about the specifics of how this is done, but I would imagine that specialisations requiring a higher level of aptitude would require better results (seems obvious), also with consideration for the demand of that particular stream. This second method of attending RMC without a specialisation is likely what you've read is in reference to. A candidate in their first year of RMC (who doesn't have a specialisation already) could attend FSP to determine whether they would be suitable for the aviation stream.

Does this make sense?

This is based on my understanding of what I've been told, so if anybody who has actually done this has more up to date info or can correct me on any point please do so.

preo
15th Oct 2013, 13:32
Thank you VSneaky. :ok:

Yes it makes sense, I cant see the second method of pilot GSO entry as being beneficial to anyone who knows they want to be a pilot.

I am hoping that I get my Assessment day very soon. Would be very happy to get FSP done this year.

GIA-90
15th Oct 2013, 15:01
Hi Guys,

Could someone please tell me how many candidates will receive letters of offers to become Pilots in the ADF through the ADFA stream.

And when do PSA send out the letters?

Thanks!

frappe
16th Oct 2013, 22:39
Hey GIA,

Your best bet for that question would be to contact PSF directly, I forget their number but I think you can find it on the air force website

ryankjames
17th Oct 2013, 02:55
G'day everyone,

Just signed up to this forum and the information in it has proven to be very helpful.

Wondering if anyone else is heading up to Tamworth for FSP and OSB on the 19th this month?

Cheers :ok:

Winged Wombat
17th Oct 2013, 03:50
Very Sneaky,

That should clear it up for these guys. You almost sound as if you work at RMC or the PSA?????:sad:

Do the guys who go to RMC first and want to be pilots get to go to flight screening? Also, is the sign on period the same for GSO and the other pilot type?

Very Sneaky
17th Oct 2013, 04:08
Very Sneaky,

That should clear it up for these guys. You almost sound as if you work at RMC or the PSA?????

Do the guys who go to RMC first and want to be pilots get to go to flight screening? Also, is the sign on period the same for GSO and the other pilot type?

Haha nah I don't work there WW! I just had a couple of in depth conversations with the Army rep Maj. Heffernan while I was at PSF. He was very helpful at clearing these kind of questions up.

As far as I'm aware you can't be streamed to the pilot role without attending flight screening, so I would assume that this would take place at some point during RMC. As preo mentioned earlier, there may be an opportunity to do so within the first 12 months. If selected for the aviation stream, all GSO candidates go through BFTS at the conclusion of RMC.

In terms of sign on period, the sign on period for GSO is 13 years where it is only 9 years for SSO. I would assume that this difference would have something to do with the length of training. GSOs spend 18 months at RMC, where SSOs only spend 32 days, but this may also be due to the fact that GSOs are considered 'career' officers, where SSOs are essentially just there to fill a position, at least this is the way it was explained to me. This is however reflected by the limitations placed on progression of the SSO pilot to a maximum of Major or, under special circumstances, Lieutenant Colonel.

Pigs Can Fly_92
18th Oct 2013, 08:26
Hey ryankjames,

I'm heading up to screening on the 19th also, definitely some mixed feelings about the next two weeks. Very nervous, but excited as well. Looking forward to meeting you

preo
18th Oct 2013, 12:04
Good luck to those going to PSF tomorrow. Hope to hear good things and details, haha.

I have spoken again to DFR and it defiantly sounds like they wanted me for the early Nov FSP, PSF but I still haven't heard back about an assessment day. If it doesn't happen very soon I guess all spots will be filled and I'll be waiting for next year.

I have however done a bit more gliding and am booked in for a powered aerobatics lesson next week so I have something to look forward to even if they don't get me in.

Winged Wombat
21st Oct 2013, 03:28
I heard from a guy the other day that there is some sort of final date where they don't accept any further applications for the ADFA. This kind of makes sense really since the end of the year is coming soon and ADFA starts early next year. Need time to make their decisions etc. Applications made after this date may not be considered.

Very Sneaky,
Do you know anything about this?:confused:

Very Sneaky
21st Oct 2013, 14:15
I heard from a guy the other day that there is some sort of final date where they don't accept any further applications for the ADFA. This kind of makes sense really since the end of the year is coming soon and ADFA starts early next year. Need time to make their decisions etc. Applications made after this date may not be considered.

Very Sneaky,
Do you know anything about this?

Not specifically, but I do know that there are university deadlines that need to be met in order to send out offers etc for the following year. I would say that this plays a large role in the cutoff dates for ADFA. Being a part of UNSW, I would imagine it would fall subject to the same regulations. This is standardised for all universities falling under their respective admissions bodies (uac, vtac etc.). There are also a number of administrative issues as you've mentioned.

Having gone through the process myself though, DFR are generally quite efficient in getting candidates who have applied for a particular year on course before these cutoff dates, provided the candidate is organised enough to ensure a spot.

finestkind
22nd Oct 2013, 08:07
WW.

There is a "cutoff" date. This is purely to do with the FSP courses having been filled.

theuploader3194
22nd Oct 2013, 08:46
For the assessment day, is it required to know specifications (cruise speed, ceiling, type of engine) of aircraft such as the CT4B or PC9/A? Any other tips for assessment day would be appreciated greatly.

frappe
22nd Oct 2013, 23:18
theuploader3194,

Definitely not for those aircraft, but it wouldn't hurt knowing some specifics for the aircraft you eventually want to fly.

theuploader3194
24th Oct 2013, 03:59
Thanks for the reply frappe,

One more question. Currently I only have one job preference (pilot). Should I add anymore preferences to show that I would still join the defence force or would this put questions in the minds of recruiters about my motivation to become a pilot? For the record if I don't receive an offer for pilot the likelihood of me pursuing another career in the defence force is quite slim.

frappe
24th Oct 2013, 04:48
No worries mate.

I was wondering the same thing pre-Assessment Day and in the end I only had Pilot as a preference. If, like you say, the likelihood of you pursuing another career in Defence is slim, then I wouldn't bother putting in any other preferences.

But with that said, do look into other Defence careers in case Pilot doesn't work out, if you haven't already. I'm gunna take an educated guess here and assume you want to fly fast jets in the RAAF, so if you don't get Pilot, you could go for ACO and eventually be aircrew on the Super Hornet, which would definitely be still worthwhile. Or you could go for Pilot in the Navy or Army. There's plenty of opportunities available, give them a think.

captainsail
24th Oct 2013, 06:31
Pilot is one of, if not the, most competitive job in the ADF. Applying just for pilot can show a motivation just to fly, as long as you can back it up by proving you have experience in/passion for aviation. I applied just for pilot, and I had no issues. Don't apply for another job for the sake of it; think to yourself, if I ended up getting my second or third preference, would I be happy having to do it for up to 14.5 years?

flying_chops
26th Oct 2013, 06:50
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any information on undertaking OSB only. It is obviously very similar to the one I did last year but any suggestions on things that they may focus on in more detail? I have taken the advice which they recommended last time, began Toastmasters and gliding, finished uni and working full time.

I have changed my preference from RAAF to RAN and ARA because my flight screening score is not above 4, the new cutoff for RAAF. I assume they will focus on that.

I arrive at Tamworth on the 13th November. Anyone on the flight screening beginning around the 3rd of November?

Thanks,
flying_chops

JPJP
26th Oct 2013, 20:38
Very Sneaky -As far as I'm aware you can't be streamed to the pilot role without attending flight screening, so I would assume that this would take place at some point during RMC. As preo mentioned earlier, there may be an opportunity to do so within the first 12 months. If selected for the aviation stream, all GSO candidates go through BFTS at the conclusion of RMC.

I may have some (dated) information to add to this. Prior to the advent of SSOs all Army pilots were required to complete the full course at RMC, or the last year if they attended ADFA.

During the first year we were dragged into a large lecture theatre and 'tested for aptitude'. Aviation and languages are the two I remember specifically. Those that tested as 'gifted' were streamed into Aviation or Intelligence Corps after graduation.

Gordy81
29th Oct 2013, 00:20
Hi flying_chops, I will be at FSP on the 3rd of November!

Tim

anthos92
29th Oct 2013, 12:13
Is anyone following this thread current or ex serving in the enlisted ranks and applying to the EOI released last week for transfer to PLT? Or is anyone here enlisted and already have a spot at flight screening?

Blu3wolf
15th Nov 2013, 21:06
G'day all!

Just had a read through the thread, and boy, are my arms tired!

....okay, that one just doesnt work at all. Im tired, so sue me.

Anyway, I wanted to check out if anyone had advice on a few topics, getting a base visit to Pearce and recommended WACE subjects to take.

I never did year 12, so I am doing a full year WACE course at Tuart College (which I presume will have to be accepted by DFR, given that it is exactly the same curriculum as year 12). I was wondering if anyone can recommend 3A/B over 3C/D, and if so, why? I'd prefer to hear from QFI's or recent students, but seeing as this is after all a public board, I can hardly prevent others from airing their opinions.

Back to the prior topic, does anyone know how difficult/unlikely it is to get a base visit? At least one forumite has responded that it is almost impossible prior to FSP, but my application is in limbo due to med class 4 and the education requirements (childhood asthma... gotta love AVMED).

Y'know what, any advice on the appeals process in general and the policy on asthma medication in specific would be appreciated too. The med staff at DFC in Perth seem to constantly contradict themselves... the nurse I spoke to informed me that having asthma was not the issue, having taken medication was the issue... and that I had to prove that I did not have asthma... all whilst holding my GP's report saying that I do not have asthma. Well, she at least told me to go get a respiratory specialist's report on the matter, which given the previous posts on the topic seems to be a good idea.

Awaiting eagerly for reply.... well, I will be, after I sleep (I started reading the thread at 1am... its now bright outside... sooooo very glad that it's a weekend...)

-Blu3wolf

Alexie9
17th Nov 2013, 05:51
Hey Blue,

Just got back from flight screening and I had bad cases of asthma as a child (albeit only a few episodes over a year, generally at the change of seasons) so it's not impossible to pass. You have to do what is known as a Mannitol Challenge Test. Effectively you inhale different dosages of powder to dry out your lungs and breath into the spirometry machine after each subsequent inhalation. If you don't drop below the 15% baseline you pass. Some people are a-symptomatic and go through, others may not, I dropped 8% which was within normal regions. If you haven't had asthma symptoms for years you will most likely be fine. I also swam 3 times a week for the year leading up to expand and exercise my lungs so it's something to think about.

As for base visits, while I was down at HMAS Albatross, I just rang up the squadron and after explaining having come back from FSP etc they were going to let me in with a guide then and there until the XO pulled the plug. You have to apply through recruiting, though I know people having gone through so it's worth enquiring over.

Blu3wolf
17th Nov 2013, 06:24
I never did that, my doc got me to do a standard spirometry... which was just they gave me asthma medication and got me to blow into this machine, the doc said my results were actually better than average...

Still he was just a GP so Im kinda expecting this first appeal to fail... have to say that I hope that DFR is not representative of the ADF as a whole...

The other thing worrying me is this stuff about the PRK/LASEK process. The recruiters basically said that my eyesight wouldn't be an issue. The thread here seems to disagree, and that I would need to get laser surgery. If I do need it, does anyone know how far through the recruiting/testing process I can go before I need to do the surgery?

Also if anyone has any general advice about PRK vs LASEK that would be appreciated, I am getting a referral to see an eye surgeon shortly, but I'm happy to hear from anyone!

Very Sneaky
17th Nov 2013, 12:57
Hi Blu3,

I'm not sure if you've spoken to a doctor from AVMED directly or not, but if you have you can be fairly sure that their advice on medical rulings will be sound. Don't listen to DFR - they don't know much on the matter. Only listen to the doctor.

Essentially, for every cross on your class 4 medical, you'll have to see a specialist to confirm that you're a low medical risk for flight training. I had a suspected migraine when I was 10 and had to see a neurologist to get the thumbs up. In relation to asthma, you'll be hard pressed to get anywhere with an appeal without having done a challenge test administered by a specialist. Your GPs say so won't be enough. The challenge test is similar to a spirometry, and as mentioned before the exception is that you inhale a powder designed to induce an attack. Everybody will have some reaction to this powder, however if it falls outside a certain range you're deemed to have active asthma.

This was the exact process I went through and they seemed to take a fairly hard line on it, but once it was done there were no questions asked and I was given the all clear.

What confuses me about this though, is why have you been given a class 4? I was under the impression that should the medical component of assessment day not go to plan a candidate would be given a class 3R until specialist testing was undertaken to determine the medical risks associated with the relevant condition. You obviously haven't undertaken any specialist testing in regards to your asthma, so why the class 4?

I'm just a layman here, so if I've got out of date info someone please feel free to correct me.

Blu3wolf
17th Nov 2013, 14:35
well, DFR told me I could not talk to AVMED directly. They said I had to write a letter to appeal..

I was made class 4 based on my medical questionnaire, over in perth they dont even do a medical until assessment day. they said that the asthma meant I could not even do the Pilot Aptitude Testing until I got approval from AVMED, and refused to even tell me what I had been made class 4 over until I spoke to a nurse in person.

The nurse was particularly offensive and unhelpful, and tried to imply that I had lied on my medical questionnaire and to nurses, so I am not really thrilled with DFR's conduct up to this point.

still, she told me that I would have to prove that I did not have asthma on my own, and offered no input as to how it could be handled. I went to a GP to ask how I could prove I did not have asthma, this is the first I have heard of a standard asthma challenge test.

I guess I need to talk to AVMED direct, and probably make a complaint about DFR's perth office. still fairly hesitant to go that far, but they seem to be doing their best to discourage anyone from doing anything...

septerra
17th Nov 2013, 18:58
Good morning,

I was wondering if any of you on the waiting pool have been contacted yet for the November intake? I have not received the call yet, and as you can imagine, I'm feeling quite anxious.

Regards
Sep

frappe
18th Nov 2013, 01:36
Hey Septerra,

I'd say if you haven't been contacted by now for November then your chances are pretty much nil.

With that being said though, does a 'November intake' mean that you start in November or you get the offer in November? I and a few guys I know start OTS in January and I was contacted back around August, so I don't know what the case is.

You could always call PSA and they can let you know if they've sent your file down to Canberra.

khaki83
18th Nov 2013, 03:19
Blu3wolf- In regards to your LASEK/Eye question, here is some info from the AVMED FAQ-

Q: Can I have refractive surgery to become aircrew?

A: Yes - but-

· Only PRK (Photorefractive Keratectomy) and LASEK (Laser Epithelial Ketartomileusis - a form of PRK) are approved at this time.

· RK (Radial Keratotomy) is not approved.

· LASIK (Laser In-situ Keratomileusis) is also not approved at this time for aircrew however studies are under way to determine its suitability in the longer term