PDA

View Full Version : ATPL exams: marks on Jeppesen Airway Manual

mattia_70
5th Jul 2008, 14:18
HI
I know that the Airway Manual for ATPL exams must be without any marks on it but I have one the charts of my manual, marked with fa fluorescent pen. No lines or other marks on the chart.

Do you think it is still acceptable to use such a chart during the exam?

Do you know if it possible to buy just some parts of the manual (a chart, for example)? The Jeppesen website is not clear about this (I could not even found the way to buy the manual on the site).

Thanks
ciao

bajadj
5th Jul 2008, 15:22
all fine and dandy just don't write on it, highlight away but don't write numbers or letters.

Nashers
5th Jul 2008, 15:39
hightlights are ok as above has said. so are lines on the charts connecting point to point. just no numbers as letters.

redout
5th Jul 2008, 15:51
I dont see how lines on the chart are acceptable, especially if they stick out with a highlighter. That said, I done my exams with pencil marks all over them so did nearly everybody in my class. One guy from my class did have his airway manual taken away by the invigilator and replaced. I thought that he was quite lucky not to be thrown out of the exam at the time. Its the luck of the draw on the day. The invigilator might notice one persons but not others and my point is that if you have it highlighted and not marked in pencil then its going to stick out like a sore thumb and draw attention from the invigilator as they pass by your table. Who is to say the lines you have marked in are not from the feedback and thus possible answers in your actual exam ?

Upslope
5th Jul 2008, 16:12
The only reason it was taken away and replaced is that they do a spot check and it is completely at random.
"Lucky not to be thrown out of the exam" my A@*e
Get the facts before you start scaring the living daylights out of wannabes.
It is perfectly acceptable to highlight any part of the Jepps manual including highlighting lines on charts. Just don't write any letters or numbers in it.
Best of luck:ok:

Nashers
5th Jul 2008, 16:17
exactly....

redout
5th Jul 2008, 16:20
Are you an invigilator. No would be my guess so how can you say for sure. Simple you cannot. So dont lecture me about facts my friend. I am referring to marking the lines on the chart not stuff in the jepp manual as I done that myself. Does what you say also include highlighting lines that one has marked in themselves ?

Nashers
5th Jul 2008, 16:28
you ARE alowed to have lines on the chart. now if you have drawn a line on the chart there should be no reason you need to highlight it. if you do well as you have said it does pull extra attention but in no way is it not allowed. you can highlight as much as you want around the manual. dont presume.

David Horn
5th Jul 2008, 17:11
Everyone had highlighted lines on their charts when I sat exams in May, invigilators had no objection at all.

redout
5th Jul 2008, 17:50
Who is presuming ? Did you not read my previous post. I have seen it happen with my own eyes ! The reason it was taken was because it was marked. How do I know this ? Simple, my classmate was told so when he finished the exam by the invigilator. How can one argue against this. It happened, I saw it and so did probably a dozen others who where there. It is a fact not a presumption. Furthermore, in my original post I said it was the luck of the draw on the day. Most times the invigilator would not even bother but this time in question he just happened to. Call it bad luck or whatever. I would agree that it most likely doesnt happen as it did not happen to me nor anyone else during that exam even though I and countless others did have the stuff marked.

sparx007
5th Jul 2008, 22:21
personally i had no marks on my chart up until the time i got to my Bristol brush ups...at that point i was told to buy some highlighters and mark as much as to can on the charts as found in the test papers we were given....the invigilator would have seen my chart shinging brighter than the moon on the numerous occassions he walked past my desk....i think i even seen him take out his shades at one point!!!!! no drama...mark away in my opinion!!!!

Sparx

Mikehotel152
6th Jul 2008, 17:24
Whether you're officially allowed to mark the chart or Jeps is pretty much irrelevant. The CAA must know that it's done. After all, well over 50% of the people sitting the exams when I have been there are from BGS and everybody who has been to BGS will have been advised to do it. By the same token, the CAA know that most people use the various Question Banks to boost their marks and the CAA's lack of action proves that they unofficially approve of the practise.

Just don't write answers to questions from the QB on the various charts (although I know people who did). Highlighting on charts all the beacons, airfields, airway designations etc that appear in questions from the QB is perfectly normal and the CAA are highly unlikely to pull you up on it. You're also allowed to put post-it notes or similar in Jepps to make it easier to find Aerodromes/STAR/SIDS etc during the exams.

The CAA randomly take away Jeps during the exams to check that you haven't cheated by writing in answers, formulas, information etc that you ought to know off by heart. I thought they give most of the Jepps back after checking them and only take action if you've tried to cheat. But even if they don't, any competent candidate would not be hugely disadvantaged by losing their person copy for the exam.

IMHO highlighting routes on charts, commonly used aerodrome plates etc are the sorts of things you would do in your own Jepps if you flew commercially. That's not cheating. :)