PDA

View Full Version : JAL-Japan Airlines

lychee28
5th Jul 2008, 02:50
hey guys, im new here. just wanna ask how JAL recruitment process go

I Just Want To Fly
5th Jul 2008, 05:20
I went through the process about 2 years ago so it might have changed since then, but took Virgin in the end.

Registration - Handing your resume in etc
Company/Base Info - just going through all the details, there is a leaflet to read
Group Interview - Questions about you, the airline, Japan, Experience. Groups of three applicants with a couple of recruiters.
Grooming Check - Hair, Nails, Skin
Language Check
First Panel Interview - You and a few recruiters.

Found out within a few days, then had to go to panel interview the following week.

Panel interview is very formal, they are strict and not overwhelmingly friendly. Not rude, just a little cold. There were 5 interviewers.

Found out within a few days. Next stage was a medical. I didn't end up taking the job, so not sure what the medical was like.

Top interview tips. Sit up straight. Knees together, hands on knees/thighs, palms down. Hair, must be natural, no strong hilights. Nails, clear nail polish only. Soft make up to accentuate your natural skin tone. Leave the Star Bronzer at home!!! No smoking, soft fragrance/cologne. Answer all questions clearly, and simply. Avoid negativity at all costs, it is considered impolite in Japan to make negative statements about anything really. Don't waffle on. lots of airlines love to see your personality, and quite like chatty people. JAL is a little different. They want to see your friendly side, but they need to see that you are able to conform to the Japanese way of thinking, which is "Restraint and Modesty".

Anyway, hope this gives you a rough idea. KANBATTE KUDASAI! (Good Luck!)

My Two Cents about JAL...

I have met several ex JAL crew along the way, and they all say the same thing. Great experience, but it is not a normal airline. Western female crew seem to have a tougher time than the males. Japanese crew can be a little hostile towards the foreign female crew, but they love and adore the male crew. There is no promotion within the base. Foreign crew will always be of a lower rank than mainline crew. Service standards are very high, as are expectations, and cultural differences are beyond your wildest imagination. As with many asian airlines, service seems to take priority over safety.

Part of me really regrets not going to JAL, as it would have been a fantastic life experience. I lived in Japan for a year, and studied the language for 13 years!