PDA

View Full Version : QR - Rosters and the Changing Faces

Doha_Airbus
4th Jul 2008, 12:19
We have new faces joined the QR flight ops management which is giving some hope of over due changes at QR. This year we see new manager for rosters, then new CP training, then new VP flight ops (Australian, English and Irish). Let's hope they stay as feedback is good!

We received a letter saying there is a new roster system coming this year (i believe is true) and I heard that rostering staff have to reapply for their job. Maybe roster will be out on-time and fair!

Anyone have more details on what is going on? Any more new people coming into management? I was ready to leave QR but now think there is positive changes happening.

tinyjack
4th Jul 2008, 13:09
Anyone could highlight how the QR Initial medical is? Easy going or Tough? got a bit of tinnitis. may b out of notmal range? but no difficulty in operations.

thanx in advance

tinyjack
4th Jul 2008, 21:28
anyone? pms welcome

Black Stain
5th Jul 2008, 04:39
The Goat Medical, like everything other official function in that grubby little village, is just a joke.

On the first one the quack will check your eyes, squeeze your nuts and hit you on the knee with a hammer. But on every subsequent medical there, apart from the mandatory ECG and urine test, the quack would simply ask if I had been ill the past 12 months (No not me...) and sign me off!!!! Not even an eye test....

What really got up my goat was this guy will charge you 400 riyals every year for not doing his job.

On the flip side, if you have a severe medical condition, epilepsy, cerebral palsy, missing eye or arm.... The Goat may just be a chance for you to fly again.

Try going to your medical pissed for fun. He never questioned me.

Cheers.... Black

tinyjack
5th Jul 2008, 06:14
Do they do pure tone audiogram on initial medical?? and r they very strict on this? and thanx black

Black Stain
5th Jul 2008, 06:39
From memory way back he did do an audiogram. Easy to cheat though, just press the button every 4 seconds.

tinyjack
5th Jul 2008, 10:24
thanx man.

Doha_Airbus
5th Jul 2008, 20:06
And how is any of this relevant to the topic?:rolleyes:

oryxbollocks
6th Jul 2008, 04:52
My thoughts exactly? Maybe he doesn't know how to start a new thread?

I agree with most of your statements DA, however the jury is still out on the tall skinny one. I haven't seen him do anything yet? Have you?

GB

Doha_Airbus
15th Jul 2008, 19:48
I'm thinking that everything takes a long long time here so I wait to see. If my roster is fair and gets some stability I will be happy. I can ignore the politics and just do my job. If we get the bidding system it will be even better. The new manager crew rosters chose the Carmen system and I hear it is coming in next few months. I spoke with him a few months back and I like his plans...... belive it when i see it. Even with a good system he needs to educate his staff on the rules and how to talk to people. Break up the mini mafia's, corruption and cash/gift-giving.

I am keeping open mind that these guys can change things enough to stay.

Tall skinny one has some ideas I think but fighting an internal fight to do a changes. new GMFO is new so wait to see. Auzzie guy is where i hope the most cos he can affect every day life in rosters.

Has anybody have heard something else?

Tintin
16th Jul 2008, 06:47
1 month on one off how 's that sound??

salamalikum2
16th Jul 2008, 08:07
Sounds vey good .....
But if they do that..i'm afraid for you that your month off will be probably "unpaid leave" ..!:uhoh:
..Oooh..I see now why they gone "increase" the salary.....:ouch:
In that case only MILOU will be happy to see you at home for one month TINTIN...:hmm:

Tintin
16th Jul 2008, 09:15
Well if you dont work of course you are not paid I have no problem with that

salamalikum2
16th Jul 2008, 10:55
Good for you...,you can afford one salary every two month,
And if you have no problem for not being paid when you don't work,
next time you go on leave for 2 weeks,don't forget to remind them to take out(but just for you) 50% of your basic,50% of your house allowance....:uhoh:

Tintin
16th Jul 2008, 12:04
salamalikum2, housing allowance? The way it should be done is when you come to work for that month they will put you in a hotel some where, where ever you are, DOH, CEB, LHR, ect. They will not pay for a housing allowance, then on your month off you go home they do not have to pay for it. Capiche

Some people will take that some will not, it's a question off choice. But I can tell you that the people who are here for long will. And I can tell you that if they do they will empty EK and EY. More and more people leave because of there family can't live here anymore or people dont come because of Doha. By offering something like that they will attract more while retaining the rest.

They cant loose on that one because make the save $$ on the long run

BOB 323
16th Jul 2008, 15:14
how on earth you can save more on long run if ur paid one salary every 2 months :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Mr Angry from Purley
16th Jul 2008, 17:48
doha
carmens a good choice many airlines use it to autoroster, whereas AIMS is unfortunately a bit hit n miss particularly at large airlines such as QR.
The success to carmen however is understanding it and the rulesets.
Good luck to the tall Ausie chap, shame he didnt offer me a job......

Qatari515
16th Jul 2008, 21:01
And exactly how does CARMEN perform in an airline where almost 70% of the roster inputs are done manually?

From the little I know of these systems they do not like manual inputs very much. The less interference the better performance!

Another problem can be the constant crew shortage. Most preferential bidding systems and auto-sheduling tools work best with a crew surplus rather than a shortage...

Mr Angry from Purley
17th Jul 2008, 20:18
Yep as little interferance as possible i suspect the 70% will have to change somewhat, surplus of crew? (what's the point of buying it if you need surplus ?).
Like most systems manual or computerised if you don't have enough crew then your going to struggle...

Whatever you think going to Carmen is a good move, i suspect others will follow

Qatari515
17th Jul 2008, 20:42
And how good will the results be if:

1) you send the roster requirements to Jeppesen
2) Carmen spits out the results which go back to Doha
3) These results are manually inserted in AIMS

I dont know!

KRUGERFLAP
17th Jul 2008, 22:01
info about the new system:

Jeppesen (http://www.carmen.se/air_products/prod_folders/crew_rostering/index.htm)

Doha_Airbus
20th Jul 2008, 19:40
Spoke with scheduling staff today about the plans. The new roster system is in parrallel run this month for testing and will be live next month. Only the training will be manually scheduled and all other flying and standby will be assigned on fair share by carmen. They will start pref bidding by end of year.

All scheduling staff have lost their jobs and new roster manager is cleaning up. staff have been in interviews and a few are headed for redunency. About time the corruption ended and a new roster system came in.

there is hope my friends. i'll believe it when i see it, but to hear the schedule staff can see the change and want it is a big step. I've not seen any hope in my years here.