PDA

View Full Version : Just Got my South African CPL, any advice on where to start....

digitalsoul
4th Jul 2008, 10:48
Hi all, I just got a south african CPL,multi IF. 250hrs(125 PIC). Any advice on the job in any part of africa and where to start from?.

alpha-b
4th Jul 2008, 15:52
Congratulations mate,welcome to the club.Start looking up around East africa there's plenty of opportunities especially on planes such as Beechcraft 1900 and Caravans,just go out to Lanseria to NAC,EXECUTIVE TURBINES etc... and check where in east-africa they've got contracts,but once again congrats and go out for some beers tonight

digitalsoul
4th Jul 2008, 16:07
Thanks a bunch. I will sure try that...am not very far from Lanseria. Yeah, I need some beers, but i think i should wait when i get my first job, then i can for sure beer.... but I have very low hours.... do people normally get jobs with fresh com? i see many companies demanding loads of pro hours.

Jumbo744
5th Jul 2008, 11:37
try Solenta Aviation, some of my friends went there with low hours :ok:

digitalsoul
5th Jul 2008, 12:40
thanks a lot. will have a look. Been busy organizing my CV.

alpha-b
6th Jul 2008, 16:57
give it a try,i got my first job after i got my comm with 242 hours on a Twin Otter so it's very possible mate

Wayback
6th Jul 2008, 19:17
If all else fails go to Maun... Its good fun and you will get the hours. Just be sure about your plan of what you expect form this initial stage of your carreer. Hours = Maun
Aircracft = Lanseria.

you choose what you want and then go for it.

B Sousa
7th Jul 2008, 00:18
While were at it a youngster approached me yesterday. Brand new FAA CFII and asked about Africa. Hes single can travel and can live on a small diet. Can he find work preferably in SA. He is aware of the Requirements for Validation. 200 TT puts him pretty much out of the game in the states.
How about Robbie Instructors or any other suggestions.
Thanks

singesavant
13th Jul 2008, 13:38
Hi there, Bert asked the question about a fresh cplh / CFI helicopters over there to help me out... still anybody has any clue?

Well any input would be great!

Take care

Davy

NG Driver
13th Jul 2008, 14:16
He can't work in SA without a work permit and he's unlikely to get one. Sorry

singesavant
13th Jul 2008, 15:22
What you mean is that it is gone be no chance to get a work permit in SA, is it correct?

That for the reply by the way

Davy

cavortingcheetah
13th Jul 2008, 15:36
:hmm:

I think it is pretty unlikely he would get a work permit cold case.
If one were sponsored by a company they might be able to get one for you while you worked for them. But it is a bit like carts and horses. What company is going to bother for an inexperienced chap?
If he has the price of a ticket the best thing is, as usual, come and ferret around but avoid, at all costs, rabbit holes of a local nature. Strange diseases lurk within those warm dark and earthy passages of doom!:yuk:

To get back to digitalsoul's original enquiry, I fear no help at hand from this source but I wouldn't hang around if I could help it. I think that, howver difficult it may be to get jobs, outside of instructional ones, at the moment; it is going to become considerably harder unless on has private connections. In which case, use them unashamedly!:D

singesavant
13th Jul 2008, 16:16
Well thanks for the picture. the thing is that I am CFI/CFII but here we are talking about FAA license, which mean I would have to convert to CAA and CFI doesn't looks that simple for FI rating convertion...

I will see what I am gone do though!

Not an easy task to break in the industry, but motivation and patience seems to be the keys (despite money...)

Davy

cavortingcheetah
13th Jul 2008, 16:31
:hmm:

No idea whatsoever about helicopters but perhaps there are US companies who send pilots over to SA to convert locals on their products?
Best of luck anyway...:)

FACT Pilot
13th Jul 2008, 18:01
Back to the orignal post and question...

Hey man, well done on the CPL. I'm just about to join you and many others with the same license. I would also be interested in finding out where would be a good place with low hours... Thanks...

B737 lover
20th Jul 2008, 05:57
Hi digitalsoul,
Welcome to the club indeed. If you are an East african, why do you even have to go around the bush to look for a job, come back to East africa, there is a very big shortage of pilots here. I would recommend you to come to Tanzania or try Uganda because i guess thats where you are coming from, i mean you have your own National airline nowadays, think about it. This is a high season as well, don't waste time.
By the way please don't pm me because its like with this shortage of pilots, i'm flying almost everyday, no enough time for internet nowadays.
Ciao.
Aka Benz lover.

digitalsoul
21st Jul 2008, 09:08
Thanks for all your support, but i must admit that life is pretty tough with this job thing. Everyday you hear people say shortage of pilots...I don think there is a real shortage... anyway, I have my hope high, never give up...i will be meeting one of the national airlines...will post here the outcome... but cheez....not easy....

ARENDIII
29th Jul 2008, 19:13
Best of Luck-and well done on your licence! I hope that it brings you all that you expect from it-treasure it, for it is well earned.
ArendIII

rudder hard over
3rd Aug 2008, 15:22
Can tell you what I did and it worked for me, but it's gonna be difficult for the fresh com.... NEVER GIVE UP!!!!! Send out as many CV's as you can every month. Go to all the main Airports and companies, and ask to see the chief pilots and try get in that way. They were all there once and secretly, they do like seeing the new fresh com guys comming in.
If it all goes pearshaped it may be worth doing an Caravan rating and try get a job on a Caravan. If you are needing hours, you can also drop skydivers, tow gliders, fire spotting etc. Pay varies from non-existant to low but its a start. Also get bashing at those ATP subjects. It's an exciting and daunting time getting that first job.
I did all of the above and it seemed to help me, but maybe you may have it easier.... hopefully not harder.
Good luck

rudder hard over
3rd Aug 2008, 15:26
PS. let us know how you get on and where you end up getting a job.