PDA

View Full Version : Question for any current ex-pat Arik Air pilots?

aterjon
4th Jul 2008, 07:42
I've been invited for an interview with Arik Air and I wanted to see if anyone here could help answer some questions for me. Also I have already done a search and read two long posts which really didn't help much.

How do you find your quality of life to be? Are you able to commute home easily when your rotation is up?

Are there still issues regarding pilot pay? (a la Avionco, etc.)

Do you feel safe as an ex-pat living and working over there in Lagos? How about on your overnights? I know this may seem like an absurd question but the US Dept. of State website does not have a positive spin on Nigeria at the moment.

What is the food like? Any problems adjusting? Again silly I know, but a bud of mine flying in India for Kingfisher had a tough time "adjusting" (read stomach probs for a week or two).

Thanks again for any input. I am interested in the opportunity to continue to fly the 200/900 but wanted to see if anyone can comment on the quality of life issues and their current experiences. Thank you again for your time regarding this matter.

Herbert the Cat
4th Jul 2008, 11:28
Security is an issue as you have to be transported by company mini buses from the accomodation where you will live to the Airport at which point you are back in a secure environment,

Living accommodation could either be a low standard of hotel secure but limited or may be in a compound. Again the compound is secure but you will live in an isolated building with minimal services. Some satellite TV if they can make it work, get used to the noise of a large generator because power cuts happen every day for long periods.

Obviously you cannot drink the water, clean your teeth in it and sometimes the supply for having a shower can be a joke.

You cannot walk the streets so their has to be transport to take you wherever you want to go when not working, although the choices of where to go are very limted as it tends to be either bars / clubs in a secure compound or a hotel which is also in a secure compound although there is not a lot of choice really.

Arik provide you with three meals a day in theory and the food is basic but surviveable. Do take medicines for sickness and diarohea with you and think about pro biotic tablets to strengthen your immune system against the S & D.

Medical facilities in case of serious illness is reasonable being western standard hospitals.

Do take anti malaria treatment that is applicable to flight crew consult your doctor. You will get bitten by mosquito's and it is common for people to have malaria despite creams and sprays they will get you eventually.

The tablets can be effective in avoiding malaria. Get insect repellents which have at least 50% DEET and it si a good idea to take a plug in insect killing machine which runs off liquid insecticide, remember Nigeria uses three pin square plugs and 220 volts.

I found most of the Nigerian people employed in Arik to be friendly and welcoming but they tend to be the normal ones and there is the other type who tend to have a some power, authority and ego's to go with it.

You must be aware that corruption is a national pastime and Arik it seems is no different but you will experience it also in hotels, bars etc where there appears to be a variable pricing policy in operation dependant upon how much they want to make out of the transaction when you attempt buy items so beware.

Finally despite the high degree of religious beliefs the corruption cannot be avoided but it should not totally colour your feelings towards the average Nigerian because they have very little as the majority of the population are quite poor by western standards with a rich elite exploiting the masses and the country as a whole.

The poverty and daya to day sights you will see are not for the faint hearted.

I hope this is of use despite all the problems I enjoyed the Nigerian people and the experience

flechapese
9th Jul 2008, 04:25
Thanks, I'm looking for a job in Arik also.
I'm appreciate if You have any advice or comments about terms of the contract (B737NG), in regard of salary pay date, overtime pay rates, blockoff tickets, layover facilities any what about upgrade for a wide boby planes?

Best regards;

flechapese

WestAfricaDash8
12th Jul 2008, 22:25
Dear Colleague:

If you can deal with a city that will be your home where there are not paved roads, no street lights, a filthy hotel they call a state of the art resort where all the pilots get food poisoning, the electric power going off every 20 minutes, internet at a speed less than dial up and high rate of crime then Nigeria is for you! On top of that there is an ongoing war between blacks and whites in that company where the first guy full of hate is your would be boss!

They pay on time and will refund all your expenses. Not like Avionco. But expect to fly more than the 100 hours that is in your contract at not extra pay! Forget about upgrades. Forget about freebies of any kind!

Ah! and if you get malaria they expect you to fly even if you are about to die! Malaria is just a high 40º degrees fever that can kill you. You will be told that you are not on vacation. Good luck

WestAfricaDash8
12th Jul 2008, 22:27
You will not pass the interview if you mention that word! Slaves are not entitled to have overtime baby!

fly now
13th Jul 2008, 22:15
Hi !I got an invitation for an interview with Arik Air.
I ve been reading ..
anyway ..Being a girl do u think it will be difficult over there??
I ve been in poor places as egypt lybia india..
Please inform honestely..and what about screening?
thank u

amerioca
15th Jul 2008, 09:08
In general, Lagos is not for the faint hearted. What Herbert the cat said is all true.

Major problem is the location of the crew hotel on one hand, but on the other hand, with the traffic in Lagos it would not make a lot sense for hotac on VI. The hotel itself is poor standard but I have heard that they are supposed to have their compound ready soon. The location problem would be the same.

As for the hours, prepare for 120 and beyond and do not get sick. That phrase is not in their book.

As for the pay, insist on that you get your pay for rotation leave right away, and just quit if they don't come up with cash right away. They are in trouble as many PIC's do not come back after first or second rotation.

They are currently looking for a new dir flight ops. The guy, I have seen there a bit over a year ago was an a............

aterjon
16th Jul 2008, 00:17
Thank you for the information. I am slated to travel over to England next week for the interview. Any information available on the interview process or sim ride? Thanks again.

747jetdriver
20th Jul 2008, 15:45
Does any one have some real gouge on the interview process, would like to prepare the best I can for it.

Any information would be appreciated....

hjmemon
20th Jul 2008, 16:09
Hi there,
Sorry for being bit off the topic.
What are the min req for F/Os and what is the email address where I can send in my Resume.
Thanks.
HJM

desertopsguy
22nd Jul 2008, 08:13
[Arik Air creditors in London panic over repayments] Sahara Reporters News, Interviews, Articles, Reports, Photos, Events and Happenings in Nigeria, Nigerian Newspapers (http://saharareporters.com/www/news/detail/?id=305)

An Article that may be useful in your decision making process...

DOG