PDA

View Full Version : The Indian Scene

NGFellow
4th Jul 2008, 02:15
It's starting to get a bit interesting here now. News report indicate that GOair is slashing it's operations by about half; JetAirways is not renewing expat contracts; Spicejet has a hiring freeze and is wetleasing crews, losing 2 million USD a day; Kingfisher is trying to acquire stake in Spicejet, some announcement by Mallya due this week according to news reports.

Hiring of pilots now--Forget it. New CPL holders--it is going to be impossible to get a job in this market. There will be plently of qualified folks floating around (Indian candidates).

Expats--Writing is on the wall. The party is about to be over in India. It is costing a ton of money to keep expats on payroll. I would say for each expat Capt around $18,000-$20,000 per month. That is if you count hotel costs. Airlines will start exercising their 30 day exit clauses soon if they have to slash staff. Indian staffers will be forced to take paycuts.

Not to say there won't be hiring again in the future. But for now it is pretty much over.

Kingfisher320
4th Jul 2008, 03:33
WHY would Mallya buy Spicejet? He has problems with Deccan allready..his is trying to sell Deccan to others...sooo he can buy Spicejet..total different fleet...yes that would make some sence? Anyone who put money on ANY airline here in INDIA is a moron, let alone a business man. Second...At Deccan, indians pilots are payed more and work less then expats here. Mallya needs to get off the high horse of his and stop bull:mad:ing the news agencies. He and his clowns are clueless about the airline business.

Enjoy

flightknight
4th Jul 2008, 05:37
History will repeat itself in Indian Aviation. There were numerous players like Modiluft, Eastwest etc..The main areas of deficiency in running an airline in India is a lack of market research and heirarchial management.
Jet Airways seems to be the only company that has got IT right. Unlike other businesses, airline management has to be done on a 1/2 hourly basis. Despite the hiring of some big names, decisions take time to flow down the assembly line in Indian airline companies.
Kingfisher may weather it out because they have billions and are spending a few million to run the airline. If it goes down , it will just be a few red ink lines in their loss report.
The other airline companies will probably not exist in the future.

yano
4th Jul 2008, 06:28
Hiring of pilots now--Forget it.High ATF Price is the solution to pilot shortage :ok:

GSMini
4th Jul 2008, 08:59
And how is IndiGo doing?

Nobody talks about them..are they silently doing good? Well, let me rephrase..doing not that bad?

Regards:}

NG ExPat
4th Jul 2008, 17:44
I was under the impression that Spice Jet was trying to work out a deal with Jet, not Kingfisher! Did that not work out?

Left Wing
4th Jul 2008, 19:33
Jet has yet to recover from Jet Lite......all tho its a perfect deal for them to take over Spice...NG's; pilots, ops, Mx, cabin, sales....

getsetgo
4th Jul 2008, 23:05
nobody made money by flying aeroplanes in india till now.
Sahara+ deccan were the true bussiness people to sell & exit with pockets full at right time.
now its the matter of time who can take losses & for how long.

v1-ro-t8
5th Jul 2008, 01:22
I just got an offer from Air Deccan? Does anybody know what the latest is with them? I heard KFA bought them? Any ideas on whether this will be a good gig to take will be welcome.

Thanks

NG ExPat
5th Jul 2008, 02:17
Thanks, I guess I misunderstood something that I read a couple of weeks back. I also have to agree that selling off an airline last year was a good idea. Today, it is going to be real hard.

jet_air
5th Jul 2008, 13:42
And i heard PARAMOUNT wants to aquire spice:confused:.. hmm seems interesting everyone s aquiring Spice Jet:cool: !

flightknight
6th Jul 2008, 00:11
Getsetgo.... you're right on the money with that observation. I'm sure ex-Sahara and Deccan folks have had the last laugh.
Again, so much for market research, strategy and sound judgement. Fame and fortune was the name of the game and I'm sure there will be a few famous folks in the history books like modiluft, eastwest etc..:{

Where India's airlines went wrong- Guest Writer-Opinion-The Economic Times (http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Opinion/Guest_Writer/Where_Indias_airlines_went_wrong/articleshow/msid-3194526,curpg-1.cms)

Left Wing
6th Jul 2008, 02:51
A330 Cargo Airline Flyington Freighters...whats the latest from them ?

rotors88
6th Jul 2008, 03:52
Does anyone know please the situation for working long term in India on a FATA & work-visa? Is it true that either 2010 or 4 years is the maximum period for good? How can this be extended? What might the work permits be if marrying an Indian lady? Thank for your help. Cheers

uhtsky
6th Jul 2008, 04:19
rotors88 ...... where have you been?
Now it's time to get fired not time to get hired.

rotors88
6th Jul 2008, 04:34
Am already here working in India & prospects are excellent here for a rotory pilot, have met a lady here & enquiring about the longer term visa & work permits, having secure work here will be no problems in the rotory field

rajan s laxman
6th Jul 2008, 13:41
other than the price of crude who else is to be blamed for this mess
is it because everyone over rated the economy or the market or was too flambouyant in ordering hundred plus aircraft per airline which today sit on tarmac staring all in the industry at the foolishness of a trade which might die down just as it was beging to grow
market capitalizations are getting eroded by the hour and losses are rising too
the next stage is job losses which may come in at a time when these specialized people are not going to be able to find equivalent highly paid jobs
what do you think is the way out

NGFellow
7th Jul 2008, 01:55
There is no way out. The folks here and perhaps elsewhere have dug a deep hole and getting out is going to be very difficult. Whether the population or Government likes it or not, some airlines will fold, others will seek buyout or consolidation. Bottom line--UNEMPLOYMENT FOR SEVERAL THOUSAND PILOT APPLICANTS FOR A FEW YEARS AND FORCED PAYCUTS.

Sky Dancer
7th Jul 2008, 16:14
Flyington Freighters...well Lot of Talk..No Action..trust me..

getsetgo
7th Jul 2008, 16:43
ur are there flight night
............................................................ ...........................

Getsetgo.... you're right on the money with that observation. I'm sure ex-Sahara and Deccan folks have had the last laugh.
Again, so much for market research, strategy and sound judgement. Fame and fortune was the name of the game and I'm sure there will be a few famous folks in the history books like modiluft, eastwest etc..:{

............................................................ ..........................
things are much more deeper......................

pilot has no time to laugh,fly or prepare new C.V.

TikiBar
9th Jul 2008, 18:26
To summarize all of your postings, I take it that none of you are very optomistic regarding pilot hiring of expats at IndiGo or any other Indian airline for the next few years.

I have been hired by IndiGo and am just waiting for my class date in August. Should I be looking for another job?

Regards,

TikiBar.

Sky Dancer
10th Jul 2008, 02:01
If you're a P1 then your fine...if you're a P2 then forget it....

NEDude
10th Jul 2008, 17:40
I just got finished getting all of the paperwork together for both Indigo and GoAir, only to get an e-mail from the contract agency that they just put the breaks on hiring. This is for P1.

They suggested Kingfisher so I am trying for that now.

getsetgo
11th Jul 2008, 15:12
when they joined go.....GO said welcome to GO
i donot think they will go to another company in the same pond.
once bitten thrice ......shy..........

NEDude
12th Jul 2008, 13:44
They said both had stopped, that is why they suggested Kingfisher. I am not as enthusiastic about the Kingfisher contract, but in this day and age you can't be too picky.

getsetgo
12th Jul 2008, 16:08
many experienced capts will be looking thro NIKON LENS with 16mm(70 mm when they joined) frame
and the lens is fogged.
they will have to find warranty of the lens for repairs.....
bcz its going to get fungus if there is delay.

once they have good lens they can see indian seen as well as world senenio.

NGFellow
13th Jul 2008, 03:17
Well said Getsetgo--Quite the philosopher you are!!

THE FUNGUS IS AMONG US!

getsetgo
13th Jul 2008, 06:57
ngfellow
lens and licence can only get fungus at the most.

among us can be various viruses
and new virus coming is high fuel cost.

getsetgo
13th Jul 2008, 07:30
NG fellow

my earlier post was about 24 hrs before(regarding world senerio)
now we have this to read
Richard Branson predicts spectacular airline casualties- Airlines / Aviation-Transportation-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times (http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/News/News_By_Industry/Transportation/Airlines__Aviation/Richard_Branson_predicts_spectacular_airline_casualties/articleshow/3227144.cms)
more details on world senerio is in other forums
if in india airlines shuts or consolidations takes place
(consolidation means cutting cost ,rationalising routes,trimming routes)then many experienced crew will see fungus on the licence.